Add New Songs to a BeatBuddy SD Card

The beauty of midi editing is that you can easily edit the notes being triggered. First export the song to create a backup, then open the verse midi loop in a midi editor, highlight all the “snare” notes and move them to the note that triggers the rim shot. Resave the midi as a different name in the midi loops folder (this is only so you will always know where it is). Finally remove the original midi loop and add the new one, give it a different name and then reimport the original SNG file.
To create a softer feel for slower songs you can also remove one of the snare/rim shot hits so It only triggers every other bar.

Thanks Jonathan…thats exactly what I did…i’m from the old school with midi sequencers and did a lot of that editing back in the mid 90’s and use to lead worship with my sequencer before I was blessed with a full band to lead…now I’m just trying to do this with the pedal for coffee houses with just my wife and I and its starting to come together…we also don’t have a full time drummer at our church so beat buddy fills in the gap…thanks for all your posts/help/encouragement… ><>

Just letting a few of you know, I have already “Quieted Down” a few tracks with loud snares by using the “Beat Builder”. It is very handy for doing that. You highlight the whole track and then you can adjust just the “Snare Track” for the volume you want. You can also “Randomize” the volume to make it “Humanized”. Just remember to pull the track up in the song you’re working on to load it back in after saving it. You might have to look for it as I occasionally do because of where the Beat Buiilder might save it from where you find it to open. It’s fairly easy to do once you done it a few times. I have completely constructed a new song from scratch using the Beat Builder. It’s really handy to use to “Customize” you tracks (Beats & Fills). Sincerely, Fingerstylepicker.

where is the “Beat Builder” ??? is it a separate app or software??

On the top level of the Forum search for “Beatbuilder” it is a Java app developed by @CharlesSpencer you can find it here.
http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/index.php?threads/free-midi-editor-designed-for-beatbuddy.2545/

thanks Psalm40 !!!

Beat Builder is a Software Program that is available and free at this website. You can download it right here. It works with the BB Manager and you can edit all the material that is in the BB Manager. It’s great for setting the volumes of each instrument like the cymbals & snare, bass, etc. It’s a lot like “Step Writing” if you have ever done that kind of thing. You can edit each “Beat” and actually change the position of where it’s at in the measures of the song as well as the volume. You can copy & paste and make the phrase even longer or create your own patterns as well. I recommend you download it and try it out if you’re interested in doing things like that. It’s a must if you’re working with BB Manager.
Sincerely, Fingerstylepicker.

thanks fingerstylepicker…will try it out !!!

I am confused about how to finish things. I’ve added a new folder to the BBManager list from the SD card. I’ve imported my new song. Now what? Do I export? Synchronize? Etc? Obviously I don’t understand the differences.

Try synchronising, if that doesn’t work then export project to pedal.
This is all explained in the Beatbuddy manager manual a link to which you will find in my signature.

I had a slightly different event…i had synchronised my project with the pedal. Went and used the pedal ok. Next day altered some songs…exported, imported all ok, saved project. The when I tried to synchronise again I got a lot of messages “…effect xyz etc” not found. This happened for I guess a dozen or so times and each time I continued until synch completed. It did not happen the first time I synched. The pedal seems to operate normally and has the new stuff on it. Have I missed something? Ive checked the manual again but can’t find an appropriate reference.

How do you save songs to your SD card? I have them on the BB manager but can’t export project to SD card or synchronise it

I’m not sure what you are doing wrong all you need to do is follow the official tutorial videos.
http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/index.php?threads/beatbuddy-manager-1-50-1-windows-mac.4382/

I think from previous posts you are using a Mac - I use Windows 7. I also don’t sync the SD card in the Beatbuddy (which you can’t do on a Mac anyway) as I find it easier to just use the inbuilt SD card reader in my PC. I really don’t think anything I can say or suggest will be able to help as you have had remote support from Beatbuddy Support and if even after that it still does not work, however it might be an idea to start at the beginning…
[LIST]
[]Do you have a working Beatbuddy?
[
]Can you open the project from the SD card and save the data to your Mac?
[]Have you linked the project?
[
]Can you create a new folder in the manager software?
[]Can you synchronise the project?
[
]If not, can you save the project back to the SD card?
[*]No, then check the SD card isn’t write protected.
[/LIST]
If the answer to all is “yes” then you should have a new folder on your Beatbuddy and you can then add songs, drum kits (make sure they are ticked) to the project and then synchronise.
If “synchronise” is greyed out then you need to “export” the project to the SD card over writing all data.

Hopefully that has given you some pointers, the Beatbuddy team will be at Winter Namm so may take longer than usual to reply.

HI folks - I’m just starting to experiment with BB. I now have a good list of beats that apply well to songs I use. I just recently updated firmware and grabbed a couple of .sng files from the site to try that out. They imported fine but the new beats displayed appear to have missing components and I don’t know if that means I need to import additional MIDI or drum patch files. Has anyone here have experience importing someone else’s .sng file and could you fill me in on what I need to 1) Get a complete working file with all the parts and fills and 2) A file that includes bass and how to make that work. I have searched and watched instructional videos but I must be missing something fundamental!!!

(see photo below which is a screenshot from one of the files I imported)

I’m having the same issue as you, missing fills and accents, which I can browse to add, but where am I supposed to get them from?

I have the same case with the Premium Content Demos that came with the firmware update (I assume?). For Demo 1 which needs the standard pro drum set, most of the song is missing the drum fills, transitions fills and accents. All I’ve actually got are the intro and outro fills with a few other pieces mixed in. I haven’t bought the standard pro set yet, does anyone know if adding that drum kit to my pedal will fill in the missing fills?

I highly recommend purchasing the Standard Pro set. It is useful for any patterns that use many of the percussion instruments outside of the standard 5 piece drums set. I always open the drum set in the BB manager then adjust the volume levels of each drum that may standout more than I want. Also, if you “left click” on a pattern within a song and choose edit it takes you to the MIDI editor and you can drag up and down the volume of each instrument/drum/cymbal etc. and/or move it, copy it, paste it and edit the patter and listen to it as it loops as well as change the length from 2 beats to 4 beats or 2 bars instead of 1 bar. Very helpful.

Some songs like the OPB (one-press bass) songs do not have transitions, fills or accent hits and were designed that way to reduce the number of pedal presses. Some of the premium library content songs also may appear to have missing content but were also designed that way. Without knowing what songs you imported, and without seeing the screen shot (it didn’t come thru), it’s hard to say exactly what you have.

To get a song with bass working, you’ll need to do:

• download and install BBM ≥1.6.4 and firmware 1.8.5
  • download and install drum sets with bass; there are several under Resources that don’t require the purchase of the premium drum sets; try http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?resources/np-kits-for-opb.812/ Make sure you install the NP kits as they will provide the best sounding bass and drums
  • download and import songs identified with OPB in their name

Buying a premium drum set is money well-spent however, it will not fix the missing components issue you are reporting. My favorite kit is the Standard Pro. Note that it does not include the bass notes (designated as “NP” or “Mod”). Depending on the genre of music you play, you will find some good kits.