Aeros : is the signal phase reversed?

Hi,
Since i’va added the Aeros to my rig, i experience some kind of out of phase issues. is the signal phase reversed inside this pedal? (I know that some digital effect do but just want to be sure to handle this correctly and widening my knowlegde of the product)
Cheers!
Vincent

I doubt the Aeros has a true bypass.

If I record straight out of my kemper or go through the Aeros, even if the Aeros is actually doing nothing, I can see a 6ms latency in my DAW on the signal chain going through the Aeros.

Probably the ADC-DAC time, which is not bad but noticeable if you play both signals at the same time (it results in a kind of chorus effect), and probably what you have been actually noticing.

I guess it’s the price to pay for PC-like pedals… Now obviously if you start having multiple pedals on the chain like that, it may become a real problem.
@BrennanSingularSound Am I ok in my measurements and assumptions ?

It would be helpful to know your set up, @LaurentB is correct it is probably because you are doubling the signal somewhere. And because the Aeros is a digital looper, it does create some lag while converting ADC and DAC. This can be helped by minimizing destinations where the same audio is sent in certain scenarios, so again if you could give me a run down of your set up that would help me help you!

6ms sounds high for latency.

My quick and dirty measurement shows 1.8ms from master in to master out … and no phase issues AFAICT.

That’s more than acceptable. Some people might want that lower for an always on pedal, but you’ll never care about that unless you have a lot of other latency in your system (and that’s the more important thing to solve).

hi guys, indeed i have a complex rig with several splits of the signal. This is not a complete phase reverse so even when inverting the phase on the other signal, the sound becomes weird (the famous weird chorusy effect produced by not perfecly in phase signal). I guess that a live with it or sell it quick case… thanks for the infos!

That’s a bit difficult to see without any scale on your capture, but I ran exactly the same test…
After that, obviously it depends on everything in the recording chain, but the difference should be quite consistent…

I recorded the 2 tracks in parallel and positioned a label for the direct recording and the through-aeros recording

Direct:

Through Aeros:

And then had a look at the time for each of the labels:

But it’s true that a lot of things could be debatable in this way of doing measurements:

• Are both ouputs of my kemper fully synchronized ?
  • Is my multitrack recorder fully reliable ?
  • Is my sound framework (jackd under Linux) fully real-time ?

The idea was more to give an order of magnitude… and the possible impacts. And as you said I can totally live with it…
What I could add is that even if the recording part may be a bit biased, I can feel there is a short lag between the 2 signal chains as it results in a slight chorus effect. and if I output the 2 outputs of my kemper straight into my mixer (so without the Aeros in the loop) I can’t hear anything…

The image post above was sampled at 44.1khz with each dot representing a sample.

Is your output a mono signal that you then split?

Do you get phasing with just the looper and overdubs?