Any News on updated BB Manager?

From what a Sweetwater rep tells me about the BOSS FS-6, the battery is only needed for the LED indicators. Otherwise, the footswitch functions fine without it. Can anyone confirm this?

UPdate: I just got the BOSS FS-6 pedal and despite what I had been told, I found it doesn’t function at all without a battery. Too bad. Dream shattered. lol

Would it be useful to have a search function in BB Manager for putting together a folder of songs for set or play lists?

Right-click on some song in a folder> context menu pops up> search / enter> double-click the song you want to move or copy. New song appears before or after that song in the folder of the set list you’re building. Allow multi-select and import of songs found in search results to the folder as well.

1 Like

Tim, the more I think about it, the more I have to agree with you. Beatbuddy really does require a dedicated midi editor, and one that will not have you tearing your hair out. And maybe it should be a standalone editor rather than part of the BeatBuddy manager because BB manager can barely get out of its own way right now without having more complexity added to it.

I know some are bothered about the MIDI editor but for me so long as there’s an import option there are other tools out there better at doing this function

Anyway I just wanted to ask, is there any reason that the BB project and card content structure can’t be documented for public consumption to allow it to be edited outside BBM? To be honest some of it Is deduceable already.

I know if you start advocating people fiddle with it then you may have more people complaining about their content not working, but it would allow the tech savvy to build their own applications focussed on the specific feature they want to quickly and frequently amend in their projects and bypass BBM altogether. You never know you may even spark some crowd sourcing for “BBM Next Gen” :slightly_smiling_face:

Also a “properties file” for all the BB settings would be great if it were accessible to upload and download. To/from the pedal…again with full documentation :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The main problem with a noisy footswitch is that the BB external switch is used mostly between songs to search folders and songs. It draws attention to the stage and looks unprofessional. Most other stomp box switches are also noisy but are activated during a song and are never heard.

1 Like

I guess I’m going to have to start playing in super noisy clubs. Then it won’t be an issue, right? Ha ha

I’ve been having this back-and-forth with Goran Rista about his premium library offer. I am trying to convince him to provide an accompanying spreadsheet with columns for song, artist, BB beat, folder number, song number, and BPM - all the info needed to enter that premium library of songs into my Bandhelper iPad app. What now occurs to me is that BB Manager could export this information to a spreadsheet itself since it has all that information already. Having a spreadsheet to work with would allow me to load up a simple csv template with the info and have Bandhelper import it. That would make the job something that could be done in a matter of minutes rather than the hours and days it’s going to take me to add them all by hand. So, add that feature to list of things goes into the BB Manager version? Or am I the only one who uses an iPad app to select songs?

I’ll take a shot at answering that last one - “No, Rich, you are not the only. Many good people do in fact use apps every day for that very purpose. Thanks for your question!” :sweat_smile::joy::rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Pretty sure you could do that yourself @richo
A while back I wrote some Windows scripts to grab info out of a project and create midi presets for BandHelper from it. I know it’s a bit techie but sure it must be possible just to get a song list in a CSV…in fact some of the info in a project is already in a series of CSVs to start with

Actually you can forget that. Just been looking at it. Each song detail is stored in a file (1 per song in a project) with a BBS extension that is not humanly readable. The SNG format BBM uses itself to export/import seems also further “encrypted” (or actually it’s compressed and appears to be a ZIP format file). So unless Singular Sound are going to open the format of that BBS up and tell us how to read it we can’t do it for ourselves in order to extract the info into an import file for BandHelper. HTH

Hey Chris. I got a partial start on this, and I ended up with a sortable list of songs, songs that I took from the song matching website, the entire site. What I ended up doing was to rip all the data from the song matching website, and then with the help of Google I figured out how to format it properly in Excel. It took some doing because I was dealing with merged rows where some of the columns contained multiple cells - in particular, the beat column where there may be two or three different beats that would be suitable for a song. So what I needed to do was to un-merge everything, but I didn’t want to do that by hand so I was able to find some code, some Excel formulas that let me do that more quickly. Took some time but at least I now have a sortable sheet of tunes with beats that would work with them. Still doesn’t help me when I am figuring out folder and song numbers, but I guess it’s something.

Thanks for your efforts. Yeah, sometimes you can get lucky and look at a file and figure out a way to grab what you need. Singular just needs to build in a BB Manager function that exports all the data we’re talking about into a humanly readable spreadsheet, and probably other formats while they’re at it.

1 Like

To be honest, to my eye it all looks kind of convoluted. Not sure why a project isn’t a simple XML or JSON file with pointer to external content (drum and accent sound files etc). Perhaps it’s purely because Singular Sound want to keep it proprietary and not have a fully open system.

1 Like

I sorta get that. It’s a good idea, actually. While I’m not one to do this, others like yourself could be looking the code over and contributing to the project. Really, it’s the hardware, the pedal itself, that clamps down on piracy and any potential loss of income, and rightfully so. 100%. It’s not like a PC computer where you can go online and buy parts to build your own Franken-BB and then load some non-official version of management software and essentially rip off Singular. But hey, I don’t know, maybe building a BB clone is easy.

I’ve learned to live with the BB Manager as it is as it will not be updated in any great hurry which is a shame. I use Cubase for the editing and to split song segments then just use the BB Manager to compile and test.

If there’s 2 things I wish the BB Manager had, one would be the ability to copy, cut and paste beats. So frustrating without it. The other would be when editing song parts to be able to play from where the marker currently is, not having to play from the start of the loop.

It could be such a strong part of the BB to have a fully fledged manager software but I guess in a way i understand their stance on it. But just a few more features would even be a massive improvement.

1 Like

Great idea!

MobileSheets Pro app organizes songs into various setlists and genres that are easy and straightforward to use on Androd, Apple and Windows. BONUS FOR USERS and software developers: No YouTube tutorials or User Manual reference necessary :grinning:

What third party tools do you use? I use a Mac and all I want to do is add additional songs to the beatbuddy menu.

The BBManager software has proven this to be very difficult if not impossible to do.

1 Like

Just got a Beat Buddy and using the Manager. Yup, it’s clunky. For now it works ok but I can se why the wish list it long.

Using my old Boss FS7 and it works great. Not sure if I really need the Maestro.

1 Like

I’m sure many on here are sick of me saying it but even though using 3rd party software to get our Beat Buddy’s doing what they’re supposed to be doing is good, the software supplied with the BB, ie the BB Manager, should be kept up to date and be fully featured to program the BB. At the end of the day even if you’re using Logic Pro, Cubase etc to create your song parts you still need to use the BB Manager to put it together for the pedal to use it and to fine tune. The bugs and lack of features kills me because the basis of the software is sound and makes easy sense when composing in the MIDI editor.

Directly to your comment I find I am mainly using the BB Manager to compose my songs now because I know what it can do and how to work around the bugs but holy crap it makes for a slow process because of those things! The BB Manager is the only major downside to the Beat Buddy!

3 Likes

Totally agree!!
If the spaghetti code they keep talking about is too difficult to fix then start over and build it correctly.
There has to be somebody out there will the skills to do this?

2 Likes

Hmmm. This note was written in November of 2019?? What is it now, almost April of 2022?? Since when does weeks = years? This must be some really hard software to write! Or perhaps the developer has a very bad cold? :+1: :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

3 Likes