Beat Buddy, Loopers, Midi Sync

I don’t have a Strymon… wish I did! If you want a wired connection between everything I would think any decent USB to midi cable should work. I bought one for about $10 and use that, looks like this one.[/URL] My iPad Pro has a Lightning connector so I use a Lightning to USB Camera adapter to connect the midi cable. The adapter also lets me power my iPad at the same time if I want. It’s like [URL=‘https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0W2AM-Lightning-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01F7KJDIM’]this one.

I’m still experimenting with midi but I’ve been running Onsong with a Behringer FCB1010 for a couple months now. Onsong runs my BeatBuddy and when I use it also runs an old Zoom G9.2TT I have. Works great! I’ll admit the FCB1010 and G9.2TT are huge pedals but with midi I can at least hide the G9.2TT. Right now I’m putting the BB somewhere I can see the display but I’m starting to trust my setup much more since it has worked consistently and flawlessly almost from the start. Good luck in your quest!

Here’s what I did: I purchased the BB midi cable, ran it out into my VoiceLive3, then out of the VL3 into the Strymon. That times the loops and the Strymon delay with the BB wonderfully.

I got my BB to work with my Pigtronix Infinity looper and EHX Canyon Delay with two different test configurations:

1. PA type system

BB->MIDI->Pigtronix MIDI
BB-> PA system (Vox mini amp)

1. no PA all into Peavey 6505 amp
    BB->MIDI->Pigtronix MIDI
    BB->Wah->Guitar->front amp

The second option lets me loop both BB drum and guitar sounds for a complete song track which is pretty cool because I can hookup my looper to my laptop and DAW and add as track to synthesizer and voice tracks. I am thinking of doing this to record songs for a new album of music I am working on. The first option is best for live performance as it frees up the amp and lets the BB route to PA for shows. I am still learning the Pigtronix looper and BB what a beast!

Just got the BB a week ago, it is keeping me busy …and happy!

I have been trying to get it to sync with my Headrush pedalboard’s Looper section via midi connections and so far the tempo of the delay based effects will sync but I don’t get a start/stop function going from the BB to the HR’s looper…maybe this not possible?

I am currently only sending midi to the HR and not using a return cable (only have one cable) to the BB but I think that’s all I need to send the start/stop mess.?

Just thought I would try hear to see if anyone knows.

Cheers,

I don’t know anything at all about the Headrush. It may be like the Strymon Timeline, which will midi sync the delay, but not the looper. You shouldn’t need a return cable.

The HR user guide is kind of thin on details for MIDI operations. Try this on your BB pedal:
Settings > Main Pedal > MIDI Settings > MIDI-Out > Sync > Disable
If that doesn’t work, you can try While Playing; the default is Always On

Thanks for your help Pesist…if it works I will report back.

I found their Q&A section. It says the HeadRush receives program change and control change, and it appears it can also receive clock. But nothing in the HeadRush documents indicates it will receive midi start and stop.

Thanks…I just fired off a letter to there support requesting this in a future update…it is great knowing their are people like you and Persist around on forums like these…it saves us newbies a lot of time and effort!!!

Cheers,

I have a headrest pedalboard as well (which I love) and the beat buddy (which I love). When I use the headrush looper, it seems to lose time vs the beat buddy. I don’t have a midi connection between the headrush and the beat buddy.

I am a MIDI newbie but it sounds like I need to sync the two via midi. Is this feature enabled on the headrush looper though?

According to what I’ve found on the Headrush pedalboard, it has MIDI sync. You will have to connect the MIDI out on the Beat Buddy to the MIDI in on the Headrush and make sure that the MIDI sync is enabled on both.

The Headrush can receive midi clock from the BeatBuddy to keep the time based effects in sync.,…but it doesn’t keep the looper in sync…so if you make a short loop that is one hundredth of a second off time, that will quickly become audible with every repeat of the loop.

I sent an email to HR about it and they submitted it to there update request section, so if you want that in a future update send them an email …I also requested that the HR should be able to receive start and stop messages from the BB so you can stop it all at once.

They just did a firmware update so I expect it will be a few months before the next one comes out.

Hi,
Did anybody have experience of MIDI-sync Beat Buddy with Boss DD-500 looper?

A complete sentence might help forum users to answer your question. :slight_smile:

I think he meant to say “did anyone have any MIDI sync ISSUES when using the BB and the Boss DD-500 Delay pedal”
(which has a built in phrase looper function).

You might want to read this thread that I found by doing a google search:
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/delay-with-built-in-looper-that-syncs-to-the-delay.1232711/

Thanks, kinglerxt!

Hi All!

I recently purchased the Boss RC-500 looper along with the MIDI cables/adaptors to connect this unit with the BB for syncing.

This ongoing process of studying/practicing the sync between the two units led me to a few preliminary conclusions, which require further investigation and confirmation.

Summary:
i) RC500 (sync master) and BB (sync slave) seems to work fine in terms of sync, but it’s not exactly the kind functionality that I’m looking for, mostly because RC500 as master doesn’t support the BB versatility, e.g. how intro, main rhythm, etc start/stop automatically.
Anyways, I think I didn’t explore this approach enough so requires more experimentation on my behalf to understand the possibilities.
ii) BB (sync master) and RC500 (sync slave) looses sync when the fill “part1-fill3” is triggered from the song “Pop1-16ths”. This raises a suspicion that there’s a problem in this specific drum fill (sounds like that ends with a syncope). Other users reported similar problems with other songs, which raises suspicion of the latest firmware 3.9.3 update, as all complaining users were using the 3.9.x version. This requires further confirmation/testing.
For these reasons I kept testing/debugging the settings with this song and haven’t tested properly others.

For the second ii) approach I set BB and RC500 with the following settings (the parameters that seem relevant at the moment):

– BB SETTINGS (Firmware 3.9.3)
1) BB -> Main Pedal -> MIDI Settings -> MIDI IN -> System Real Time ->
1.1) Sync: enable
1.2) Start: enable
1.3) Stop: enable
2) BB -> Main Pedal -> MIDI Settings -> MIDI IN ->
2.1) MIDI In Channel Number: 16 (related to RC500 parameter a.4)
2.2) Note On: disable
2.3) Control-Change: enable
2.4) Program-Change: disable
3) BB -> Main Pedal -> MIDI Settings -> MIDI OUT ->
3.1) Output Type: Midi-out
3.2) Channel: 10 (related to RC500 parameters a.1 and a.3)
3.3) Sync: Always-on (important to be sync master, sends out midi tempo clock)
3.4) Start: Main Beat
3.5) Stop: Pause and End
3.6) Notes: disable
3.7) Next Part: enable
3.8) Time signature: enable
4) BB -> Main Pedal ->
4.1) Mute Pause: Midi-activated (!!!automatic when BB acts as slave)
4.2) Cue Fill Period: Next-half-beat (!!!)

– RC500 SETTINGS (Firmware 1.02)
a) Menu -> MIDI ->
a.1) Rx CTL: 10
a.2) Omni: off
a.3) Rx Note CH: 10
a.4) Tx CH: 16
a.5) Sync Clock: MIDI (or AUTO)
a.6) Clock Out: off (to be sync slave)
a.7) Sync Start: All
a.8) PC Out: off
a.9) MIDI THRU: off
b) Memory -> REC ->
b.1) Quantize: off (I also tried ‘on’)
b.2) Loop Length: Auto
c) Memory -> PLAY ->
c.1) Play Mode: Multi
c.2) Single Change: Loop End
c.3) All Start: All
c.4) TRK Chain: Parallel
d) Memory -> RHYTHM ->
d.1) Var.Change: Measure
d.2) BEAT: 4/4
d.3) Start: Rec End
d.4) Stop: Loop Stop

–Other observations:
––The time signature information sent by BB is not supported by RC500 apparently, perhaps a feature request to Boss for future firmware revisions. I imagine this is important if quantize is activated in the RC500. There is a parameter to change time signature under ‘Rhythm’ menu, but to the best of my knowledge it’s not accessible through MIDI messages.
––You might wish to disable BB ‘intro’ when RC500 is sync master. At the end of loop recording the RC500 sends a ‘start’ message to BB, if ‘intro’ is enabled BB begins the loop with the intro drum fill and then after the goes to the main groove.

Please share your experience and thoughts, I will had update this post has I gather more info.
Thank you

3 Likes

The Funk fills are also affected on somes songs, It’s not a desync or whatever, just the fills

I don’t know if this will help at all but I can share my thoughts. I upgraded an RC50 to the Infinity 3 looper (for the sound quality? - I am seriously now considering replacing that with the Aeros).
In my setup, the PC (and whatever DAW is running) is the master clock. That goes to BB and from there to the looper. In the absence of any active clock coming from the PC, and as far as anything in the MIDI chain after the BB is concerned, the clock coming from the BB is the master. That to me is logical and makes total sense.

So on my looper and on all my effects units for that matter, I only listen for the sync and ignore all other MIDI data. So I set them to ‘sync only’.

Routing is so important and can be quite complex but rewarding if done properly.