BeatBuddy friendly MIDI editor

One thing I often do is select all events for say “hat” and raise the volocity. The editor I use preserves the different velocities for those individually while raising the velocity of all at once. They keep that nonquantitized drummed in feel. I do all editiing of drummed in MIDI with quantitize off.

Looking good :slight_smile: pleased you went with 32nd notes, I assume this will also import midi files as that would allow you to easily change instruments in already well programmed files as well as correcting instruments in non GM midi files e.g EZdrummer.

I plan to include the ability to select an instrument and choose to either set notes to a volume or increase/decrease by an amount. I do the same thing while trying to get the mix just right.

What about groove … the problem with a lot of the stock beat in BB is they don’t swing … there on top of the beat, which is fine for rock, metal or techno … is there a way to develop a algorithm for groove that will offset the beat a head or behind the 1/2/3/4 but not as far as 1& /2&/3&/4& … beat so it swings …

Do mean like templates for a starting point? That’s a great idea. So when you clicked New you would get a dialog with a choice of empty or something from a categorized list, maybe a tree style list with categories for rock, country, funk, etc. I don’t know the names of the standard patterns but I’m sure there are probably some drum instruction websites that have some.

[ATTACH]703[/ATTACH] It was a Roland Cr 8000 … crappy sounds … easy to use,everything could shuffle :wink: [ATTACH=full]702[/ATTACH]

I was thinking, another good feature would be to make the application able to filter existing MIDI rhythm files to make them BB compatible. In other words, shift notes onto MIDI notes that the BB supports with the standard drum sets. Most MIDI’s I’ve downloaded use the wrong bass or wrong snare or use non-existent toms and it’s confusing to a lot of people why they can’t be used out-of-the-box.

Hey Charles … BB uses GM standard which is a sub-set of General Midi … don’t know why they did this … maybe they think their loops are great and it a way of making them somewhat proprietary … but in reality, BB is not so much about the loops as it is a player with arranging capability to put together loops to make a song. So either building those loops (like your trying to do) or buying them (from Groove Money) to suit you needs and using BB to build the song out

I think their emphasis was on providing a large number of high quality samples for each velocity group in order to get a very very realistic sounding result. This is where so many drum machines and also sample packs have failed in the past. The problem with that is now you’re talking about a lot of megabytes being loaded from storage and unpacked into the pedal’s memory. Watch how long it takes the Latin kit to load and you’ll see what I mean. So the tradeoff is to have less instruments per kit and they probably assumed one bass drum and one snare drum was enough. Hell, a lot of players only ever used one tom and only two cymbals. If the pedal had used more expensive hardware and came with a class 10 card, they probably could have support Neil Peart’s kit, but the pedal would have cost a bit more. Consumer electronics engineering is always compromise.

Mostly this is correct, and as of currently the main problem is the internal RAM size to hold the drum set patterns. Loading time is exactly that - loading patterns from SD to onboard RAM.

I developed a dozen songs using Groove Monkeys loops (way better than BB’s Loops) and the load time is the same. I’m not talked about changing the drum kits I talking about the quality of the grooves. It’s the drum kits that take up size for loading not the midi file grooves you get from any 3rd party drum loops.
Of the all the BB songs, I’ve only been able to use only 3 songs … the Jazz and Shuffles loops are pretty crap.
Anyway don’t get me wrong BB is doing it’s job …

You can’t please everyone all the time, people use the BB differently and some here would disagree with your comment on the quality of the loops. If you find something that works for you that is great but others are getting by quite fine with the songs the BB comes with. Personally I get by but I may venture over to groovemonkee although what they offer is not what I am after either - I may have to produce my own and that takes time which I don’t have. So I use the songs on the BB if I can, if not I do without or make my own, every persons situation is also different, most of us our amateurs with family and day job.

Post them up B3 Borne !.. We could always use a few more Jazz & Shuffle tunes :wink:

I use to use a Korg T3 and when I would sequence tunes I would move the drums one tick ahead of everything. This was just so that it wouldn’t sound glitchy because of the limited polyphony.Use to use cakewalk. I think you could nudge events forward or back. Don’t know if that Idea is what you are talking about. Wasn’t enough to throw the timing off but gave it alittle more feel.

I think a good example of what B3’s talking about is in many songs John Bonham or Mitch Mitchell would intentionally play the hi-hat just behind the beat, making it bluesier, giving it that sly groove. They were fans of Motown music and it’s possible that’s were they picked it up from. You hear it a lot in jazz too, the snare coming in late, loosening up the groove.

I read an interview with Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top and he talked about playing just slightly behind the beat to make it a little fuller sounding for a 3 piece group. The early ZZ top stuff had such a great feel. Especially the rawness of the sound. Thats the thing about the beat. You can be slightly ahead or behind and still sound correct. Some singers are brilliant at doing this in the way that they phrase. I played with a bass player one time who used a pick and was just a fraction behind the beat but not in a good way. It kept dragging everything down. Sometimes you need a little forward momentum. I was wondering if the beats on the BeatBuddy were quantized. Some feel a little sluggish or just hard to groove with. Hi hats seem to be a big part of the equation for making drum parts groove. If they don’t have the right accents then I think they hurt the groove and the realism.

Psalm40 … I get that … I was stating IMO BB is a basically a beat player that you can add loops form 3 parties, so why did they use a different midi map other than general midi (what 90% of the industry uses). This is a new product, so there are going to a large variety of different uses coming on board that want better drum loops and like me they will feel the the deum loops in BB are unusable.

Hi Nelson … that is a great idea … moving it off the top of the beat is what is needed so it swings. The other problem this a lot of these loops is they are just too busy … fills over played, and no fills with off shots on the “and”

Hey Charles … that is what I talking about … but pushing the beat is not just in R&B (the real R&B) and Jazz, it in most genre to some extent

I also like the Groove Monkey Loops. I’ve put together a couple of jazz loops and liked the feel. Was also able to incorporate some of the fills that came with the BB. Lots of potential with this pedal.

Totally agree Nelson … Trio’s are challenging to get a full enough sound without over playing and that includes the drummer.
I’m playing bass and doing the comping so I pretty much controlling how hard the song swings (grooves), playing against the drummers groove… the guitar player is basically masterbating over top of what I’m putting down and drummer is not trying to fill every hole … less is more … giving us lots of room for interplay. So that what I’m after with the loops

“Lots of potential with this pedal.” … I total agree …