BeatBuddy/Aeros MIDI Actions

Currently I use the MM to control the BB and Aeros (MM->BB->Aeros), so the chain is “unbroken.” I want to add another MIDI controller between the BB and the Aeros so that the other controller can control the Aeros functions like Start New 2x2 song or Mute Track 2, etc, but the MM still controls the BB.

So, my question is, if I send a “next part” message from the MM to the BB, does the BB send its own separate “next part” message itself to the Aeros, or is the Aeros message to switch parts just coming from the MM?

I’m trying to figure out if I need to keep the BB on “MIDI Merge” so its transitions and start/stop flow from the MM to the Aeros, or if I can switch the BB to “MIDI Out” so that only the BB’s messages (hence, start, stop, transition) get sent to the Aeros?

As a follow-up, it looks like this works with the BB on “MIDI OUT” (instead of Midi Merge), but the Aeros doesn’t seem to work unless it’s Midi IN channel is set to ALL. I tried setting the Midi IN channel on the Aeros to 2, and the BB Midi Out channel to 2, but that didn’t work…when I changed the Aeros back to ALL for Midi In, everything worked.

But the question remains…can the Aeros receive MIDI messages on individual channels, or does it need to receive on ALL (or Ch 1 only)?

Hey there,

The BeatBuddy sends its own command, a CC102 command. This can be disabled on the BeatBuddy (Main Pedal > MIDI Settings > MIDI Out > Transition)

It’s a matter of what works best for you, the Aeros can start, stop and transition all using BBs commands, if you have no need for other commands to pass through you could set the BB to MIDI Out if you desire.

You could also just leave the CC102 on and send CC113 from the MM, this should not cause a conflict. The benefit is the ability to send commands to the BeatBuddy to transition without the Aeros transitioning.

The MIDI Maestro or any MIDI controller must be sending commands on channel 2 to be registered on channel 2 on the devices.

Let me know if this was helpful, thanks for the questions!

1 Like

The MIDI chain is this: MM → BB → Morningstar MC6 → Aeros; the MM is only sending BB commands and the MC6 is only sending Aeros commands (BB is set to MIDI Out instead of MIDI Merge). I set the BB Out to Ch 2, and the MC6 Out to Ch 2, and the Aeros In to Ch 2, but the Aeros was not receiving any commands (not start, not transition, not new 2x2 song, not anything). If I set the Aeros In to ALL, everything works. So to me it seemed that the Aeros just wasn’t responding to Ch 2 only. Does that make sense?

You have to set the BB Out to channel 2

I did that and it didn’t work unless the Aeros In was set to ALL. I’ll try it again, but that was my experience the first time.

What version of the BB are you using?

Please try version 4.1.1

99% sure I’m using v 4.1.1 (the latest version), but I’ll double check.

@BrennanSingularSound

There was a setting on the BB (I believe it was “Mute Pause”) that I had as “MIDI-activated” and it needed to be on “Enable” for the Aeros and BB to communicate when the Aeros MIDI In channel was set to 2 (which is what the BB Midi Out channel was set to). I wonder if this was why it wasn’t working on a specific channel before (from the BB manual):

“Please Note: Sync (Clock), Start and Stop are MIDI SysEx (System Exclusive) Real Time Commands. This means that they are sent on all channels, regardless of what the MIDI Out Channel is set to.”

So apparently having Mute Pause “enabled” (instead of “Midi activated”) on the BB solved the issue I was having.