Beatbuddy with Bass lines is Here!!!!

When creating the midi I use two seperate tracks. Track 1 is drums which I usually make first and a seperate track for the bass. I will create the bass part, then move all the events up two octaves to match with beatbuddy bass midi’s and merge the two tracks into one when exporting the midi file. Having two seperate tracks for bass and drums helps with copy and paste for parts that are repeating.

This uses the two seperate VST instruments and I think this would be easier than creating the bass and drums on one track.

1 Like

I have imported the Rock Drums with Bass Kit and some songs that supposedly have the bass part in them such as Sultans of Swing but do not hear the bass when played in BB Manager or in the Beat Buddy. What am I missing here?

In the drum editor section on the left hand column make sure there is a tick in the small box next to “rock with bass” drumset and then when you switch back to songs column in the song editor under the tempo for the song you should be able to select rock with bass in the dropdown menu.

FINALLY! After weeks of trial and error, and learning and unlearning and relearning, I have my first BB Song with Bass! My main issues were that I was leaving the midi as two tracks, so it would pick only one of them and play it. The other issue is that somehow I had shifted the bass up to the octave below the one it should have been, so only some of the bass notes would sound.

This song was fun cause both the bass and drums are crazy busy. That prevented me from having to put any “stop” notes in the bass line.
Intro: the first intro bit, plus the solo
Main: the verse. there is one fill. The transition is the post verse solo
Next: the quiet solo part, with an alternate fill to transition back
Outro: a quick few bars to end.
(I’m probably going to make the post verse solo a hit instead of transition though… I’ll play wiht it tomorrow)

[edit:]
I make the postverse “solo” part a fill, so you can let the verse play as you want, this hit the fill at the end to do that part. You do the transition after the 2nd verse (and hit, if you want) and it will do a different part that’s under the “slide” part of the solo. if you transition back to the verse for the “wah” part of the solo, you can do a the fill to do the ending “hammer on” part of the solo, and it will head directly back to the verse for the third verse!

Ahh , there is hope …thanks for this & after upgrading my BB mgr, doing the firmware upgrade …
I finally loaded in my transposed sng of Fortunate son, only to hear it bleeding both levels into one bit of mushy drum.
using new software is a steep curve for me apparently, but bass lines is such a great addition ( thanks Stu)
…Trudging on …lol

ATTENTION!!!
After downloading the songs from the forum; THIS is the step needed to hear the songs with the bass lines!!!
Thank you very much for the new bass lines.

In the spirit of helping and the interest of possibly creating an alternate option to Stu’s Drum/Bass kit, I took the supplied intro midi, and in my DAW created a drum kit and a bass sample. Attached is the wav example of what I came up with. The bass notes aren’t ringing out at the end of the intro like they should be, but I’m sorting that out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59x34d0nvc09c8z/Mixdown.wav?dl=0

is it possible to create bass notes from say logic x program and convert to mybeatbuddy? in order to achieve a most realistic bass sound? the notes sound quite robotic and more like a keyboard bass rather than guitar bass.

Absolutely! The beatbuddy uses WAVs. You can use the drumkit editor in Beatbuddy Manager to edit Stu’s kit, or create on of your own. I’d suggest looking at Stu’s to see how he did it. You could then swap out his wavs with any that you create. Be aware that there is a size limit to a drum kit (100mb) but the editor tells you clearly how full it is.

Yep You can put in your own samples. I just found some free bass samples of two octaves with an ibanez bass at this site here and just used those wav’s. When looking at the drum samples for beat buddy you will find there are multiple samples at different velocitys to get a more natural sounding drums so when you play two hits at the same velocity there can be two different samples used that are slightly different. You could apply the same principle to the bass samples if you can find enough room in the 100 meg size limit.

thanks guys will get back to you if im successful! thank you very much

I look forward to using your songs in my set :slight_smile:

cant seem to get a great bass sound, the notes still seem off sync/off time , think I mite purchase a BOSS 0C-3 OCTAVE pedal as my plan B, for live bass performance.

Hi Stu,
great work you did!
I have one question: when i import the drumset and import the folder “setlist with bass” is there anything more to do?
What aboiut the midi files?

Werner

The midi files are there for anyone to grab if they wanted to alter them or use parts of a song in another song that might have the same bit. They are probably redundant now that you can rip the midi’s from any song using the latest version of beatbuddy manager.

If you have imported the setlist folder and drumset they should just show up in Manager and should work. Just make sure it is the “rock with bass” drumset selected for each song.

Great, thank you

Hi Stu,
first of all i want o thank you for sharing all the great songs to the users!
Today i tried Gravity and it works great with Bass. The only problem i have is the Key of the song. The original key for the Bass is G and i need it in the key of F.
My question is can i change it fast and how can i do it ore do i need to have special knowing?

Werner

Yes it is easy if you are already using a midi editor and applies to any song with bass. You can see an example of the bass “part” in a picture in post 13 in this thread. The Bass line is the yellow and the drums are the red. To change to a different key you need to move that bass part up or down the piano roll to the right key. In your case move it down two lines.

You will need to do this for each part of the song so you don’t end up with a part in the wrong key. Using beatbuddy manager you can export a part to midi. Open the midi in a midi editor, adjust the bass, save midi and then load it back into beatbuddy manager. I use Reaper as midi editor and it allows to right click and drag across the bass part to select all notes and then I use the arrows on the numerical pad on my keyboard (2 and 8) to move it up or down.

Good Luck and Cheers.

v cHi,
i work with Anvil Studio. With the “A Main.mid” i had no problem because i changed every note by hand. In “Fill 1” i transpose all tracks in 5the song and it works, but only for bass. Some parts im missing because they are transposed and now i cant here them. The problem is that i have only on track. The Anvyl Studio manual says i have to change the drum track from instrument to rhytm so transposing the drums is not possible.

PS
when i play the midi its not the same sound as in beatbudy. Can i change this?

Is there another way to make this?

Werner

Beatbuddy with base Lines (and, actually, any other instruments) is already here via Band in a Box whereby one can just mute all instruments one does not want playing (e.g., mute all but the drums and bass…and these are played by real musicians…hence, called real tracks) And you’re ready to go. The big difference is that BIAB is basically a preset for each song…i.e., nothing is done real-time while in the act of playing!!
Cecil