Creating Samples for use in Beat Buddy drumkits, using Logic Pro X

I’m doing a 3 part tutorial on this. Part one will be the basics, using an existing LPX instrument. Part 2, will show you how to edit an ESX24 instrument in LPX. Part 3 will show you how to create an ESX 24 instrument from scratch.

Tutorial 1 is attached.

Tutorial 2 - How to Manipulate existing Logic Instruments. Unfortunately, this one’s gotta go through Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vht1docy6vvnp5/Tutorial 2.pdf?dl=0

Tutorial 3 - Creating an EXS24 instrument from scratch
There is a Dropbox link in the pdf for the samples used in this tutorial. If by chance the embedded link does not work, use this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp40mjzk891xg93/Tutorial%203%20Samples.zip?dl=0

All links are showing deleted, can you give new links?

Unfortunately, no. Tutorials 1&3 were posted directly as attachments to the Singular Forum, and were lost in the Great Server Migration Data Loss of November 2017. Tutorial #2 was in my archives and is attached, but it might do you no good. You may be able to glean something from it.

Tutorial 2.zip (1.4 MB)

Essentially, in part 1, I explained how I sample instruments in Logic to make samples for kits. The process is relatively simple. For drums, I set up a series of tracks using the same drum kit, but give each track the name of a particular drum. kick 1, snare, tom 1, tom 2 etc. I then create a drum at at velocity 30, and copy that into each track. I select the tracks, and I Export Tracks as Audio files. I have my defaults as 44.1khz and 16 bit. BB will not use 48khz. After that set is done, I select all the tracks and raise the velocity to 60, and repeat, then 90, then 120. I end up with 4 samples per drum.

But, very important, after these samples are made, I need to run them through a tag stripper program, or they will not work in the BB. I use NCH switch, which does much more, but works well for me. There are other tag stippers out here.

As far as tutorial 3 goes, there are numerous tutorial on you tube on creating an exs24 instrument that probably explain things more clearly than my written word, as folks generally ending up asking for a video when I make a written tutorial.

Good luck.

1 Like