Free MIDI editor designed for BeatBuddy

What is the current version of BeatBuilder? Is it still being updated at all?

Have not kept track of the versions but I believe that it’s not being updated.

I thought that may of been the case!

Does beatbuilder do bass as well or will I need DAW software with midi?

many thanks for your time, i have just ordered a beat buddy (should be here soon) so im just wandering through the forum collecting info and trying to build a working understanding of the unit before i get bogged down with the real thing. regards boon

Short answer: yes
Longer answer: it may be more efficient in the long run to use a DAW. Here’s one example of the challenges that come with using the Beat Builder Beat Builder

There are other examples on the forum.

Hi everyone. Is there a way to use BeatBuilder from the command-line (and within a batch file) to open midi files and re-save them? The reason I ask is I would love to batch process a folder of drum midi files by opening and saving each one, in order to take advantage of BeatBuilders automatic midi remapping.

So far I’ve tried the following command-line - but found that the midi file is not opened - it simply launches BeatBuilder:

start java -jar BeatBuilder.jar “test.mid”

Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Al

Hi Victorypoint, welcome to the forum.

From what I can see, BeatBuilder does not accept any command line parameters.

Hi I’m new to BB, but by day I’m a software developer. I found Beat Builder in another thread have been using it the last couple of days.

The download was from a Dropbox so I’m guessing the code is not available to the public, from what I understand it’s no longer being actively developed.

If the original dev is willing, I’m happy to create a GitHub repo and maybe a few of us could look at keeping it going ?

The original developer was user @CharlesSpencer and he was last seen on this forum about 2 years ago. You can try messaging him but I’m not sure he will reply. I noticed that most of his posts have been deleted or removed. I found a user with that name on Git Hub but it doesn’t appear that he’s very active there, either.

My opinion? Why bother when there are several DAWs out there (some of them free or low cost) to choose from and use. So many projects on Git Hub become abandoned-ware after their initial champions get discouraged and move on when no one (or very few) contribute to the project.

That’s fair enough :slightly_smiling_face:

The code was very quick-and-dirty so I’m not sure I’d want it shared publicly :wink: I stopped development because an official drum pattern constructor was in the works from the Beat Buddy team and whatever they provided was sure to be better than what I slapped together in a week. I really only meant it to be something simple as possible for the non-technical and something that would clear up the tedium of mapping MIDI instruments to Beat Buddy instruments but the enhancement requests came rolling in :grinning:

6 Likes

Often the way though and I understand, I’ve got a lot of code especially some early stuff I wouldn’t want to share publicly :slightly_smiling_face:

I use Beatbuilder and really like it. I am not a technical type. Thank you, Charles!

I LOVE THE BEAT BUIDER! SO EASY FOR US TECHNO SHOCK SUFFERERS! I know but it needed shouted out!

@CharlesSpencer I want you to know that your beatbuilder is a go to program that makes life easy for me when I am trying to import downloaded midi from the internet. Now that you say that you put that together in a week, I wish you did not stop at that, surely we would have had another piece of functional software that could have made lives easier for other people like me who are not very musical with drum programming.
Thank you @CharlesSpencer . :hugs:
And I strongly think SS should have reached out to you regarding their BBM project.

1 Like

Why does the Beatbuddy manager not copy/paste when we are editing one patch?
Why NOT?

Hi. You’re replying to a post that was made 7 years ago.

Copy and paste can be used to edit beats and songs in the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM).

Hi followed instructions java etc-----extracted all-----no shortcut key to open editer-----clicked on everything Thanks

New to BeatBuddy. Development seems painfully slow from what I gather. Would this software still be relevant to creating one press songs ?