Free MIDI editor designed for BeatBuddy

Ah ok, I gotcha. Yeah to help people out with this I should add another help dialog that has the expected drum mappings. I had written code to support users adding instruments to existing kits but abandoned that for a while as I was having trouble getting the underlying tech to pick up the changes when a user switched between kits. For now I might just enable editing of the single kit and users will have to restart the app to pick up the changes (lame, but, it will work 100%)
Here is the mappings that BeatBuilder currently expects (bear in mind it will automatically remap the bass, snare, and toms that BB doesn’t support by default):
Cowbell 56
Shaker 104
Maracas (double) 70
Maracas (single) 71
Conga 0
Bongo (high) 24
Bongo (low) 32
Handclaps 39
Tambourine 54,
Splash Cymbal High 59
Splash Cymbal Low 55
Ride Cymbal Bell 53
Ride Cymbal 51
Crash Cymbal High 57
Crash Cymbal Low 49
High Tom 50
Mid Tom 48
Low Tom 45
Floor Tom 43
Hi-Hat Pedal 44
Hi-Hat Open 46
Hi-Hat Closed 42
Cross Stick 37
Snare 38
Bass Drum 36

Good. Why don’t you use these as the labels in the left side of main window instead of being obliged to add another help dialog?

Then, the possibility to use BeatBuilder with BB drum sets would be great! :slight_smile:

Im very happy that this is finally under way as there were several beats that I needed that weren’t quite right in the standard beats that came with the BB. However, I have noticed a problem in that the tambourine, shaker, and maracas-double does not transfer from the beat builder to the BB. If I try to put in an 8 count with any of the above, I hear it in the builder program, but when I add it in the BB program, it is just 8 counts of silence. Also in the beat builder, you can’t hear the shaker, and the maraca -single is actually a whistle…

Any idea what this may be and when it might be fixed? Thanks so much for everything that you are doing!!! I love my BB :slight_smile:

Marie, I think it depends on IF the tambourine is in the drum set you are actually using in BeatBuddy.
I mean, tambourine is NOT included in the “Standard” drum set, while it is included in “Percussion” drum set.
So, you can hear tambourine because BeatBuilder midi out is driving your general midi PC soundcard, but you have to use a drum set including tambourine in BeatBuddy Manager (or add tambourine to the drum set you want to use) to be able to hear it in your live set.

Most of the drum kits don’t come with the extra hand percussion so you won’t hear them in BeatBuddy Manager or on the BeatBuddy pedal. If you want them you have to add them to the drum kits using the kit editor in the BeatBuddy Manager. Instructions on editing kits are here:

The reason you hear weird sounds in the BeatBuilder for some instruments is because the standard percussion mapping for BeatBuddy kits don’t quite match the standard MIDI drum mappings. I’m working on getting the BeatBuilder to play the actual samples that BeatBuddy uses so eventually that won’t be an issue.

Good news, after much struggling with vague documentation and no examples, I finally figured out the steps to load a custom sound bank into the program so now I can create soundfont files from the BeatBuddy samples and it will be: what-you-hear-is-what-you-get.

1 Like

Hi
Ive had a bit of a look at the Beatbuilder editor. It is very good and easy to use. However if I may suggest something for an update. I think it would be handy to have a visual marker line that scrolls through the song in real time as it is played. This would make it a lot easier to identify where any changes need to be edited. I am not a seasoned midi editor, which I’m sure most users wouldn’t be, so for the beginner this would make a valuable addition. If this feature is already included, how do I turn it on? Any thoughts people?

Yeah that’s on my list along with the improved sound. In using the editor for longer clips I too found it cumbersome without the follow-along during playback.

Shaker doesn’t work in the beat builder

Thank you Charles! I will try this! All your hard work and help is greatly appreciated!

I have been using the “test version” of the BB Manager because there was sound distortion in the original version that I don’t find in the test version. However, Im wondering if I actually have access to the wav files to be able to add to the drum kits in this version. Ive found the wav files that I need in other kits, but when I go to add them to the kits Id like to use them in, my computer cant find the wav file anywhere on my computer :frowning:

You can download the samples from each kit here http://mybeatbuddy.com/forum/index.php?threads/beat-buddy-drum-samples.2047/

Only 5 kits at that link but it’s a good start if you can’t extract the wave files yourself.

Still having the same issues on mac. I’d really like to hear if/how others are getting this to work as designed on a Mac. Anyone?

I’m hopeful that once I have replaced the default sound output with the custom beatbuddy drum samples there won’t be platform issues. I’m almost done creating a soundfont file from the standard kit and once that’s done I’ll upload a version for people to try out. After that I’ll add the other kits.

That is fantastic, the sound font would open up so many possibilities - can’t wait :slight_smile:
Any chance of making the sound fonts available separately?

I would gladly share them and spare others the effort (as creating sound fonts is very tedious). I’m guessing it would be ok with the BeatBuddy team. The samples themselves are probably considered part of a product and I’m using the samples to support their product, but since no one complained when the zips of waves were made public, it would be ok.

Appreciate it Charles! Still - I’m just looking for confirmation that it does or does not work on Macs versus just not working for me on my Mac for some reason. That’s why I’m asking if anyone has used this on a MAC.

BeatBuilder version 2.0 has been uploaded to dropbox. The application no longer uses the wavetable synth of your PC but instead plays BeatBuddy samples which also means the hand-percussion will sound correct. I also fixed the bug with deleting bars and a couple other small things. The new version is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm4weqraqw4ye2t/BeatBuilder.jar?dl=0

1 Like

Thanks Charles.

Nice one Charles! Will give it a try.