Help with bass issue

I hate to suggest yet another tool, but try Reaper. It generates absolutely exactly what I expect in bass notes.

Yes, I am leaning that the issue lies on my tools (hopefully not), but wanted to be sure before investing in something like Reaper or Logic… Have Cubase LE but have not receive Download Code for new version and ProTools First still does not work on my computer, waiting for M1/Monterey update. A re-import of the midi files to both Aria and Ableton does not show any issues with the exported midis. So I still think there is something happening in the conversion in BB. Will upload the simple midi in a few moments.

What version # of BB Manager are you using?

Phil, it is 1.6.4.1

You need the 1.66. That fixed the note offs issue on Mac. I’ll see if I have a link for it. I’ll be right back in 5-10 minutes.

BBManager-1.6.6c.zip (32.6 MB)

Caveats - This was released as a beta, but I’ve been running with no problems for years. But, that is on an Intel Mac. I have not tried this on a M1, but since you are waiting to upgrade to Monterey, I’m assuming that will be OK for you. Anyhow, when I was running 1.64, i had the stuck bass issue. This is what fixed it.

Also, I am running firmware 3.93, because firmware versions later than that screwed up features I need.

To avoid issues when you do update to Monterey or Big Sur, might as well just update to the notarized version of the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) at When the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) doesn’t launch (or export a project to the SD card) in newer versions of the macOS

Just to clarify, I am on Monterey. I am waiting for the Pro Tools First update that will work on M1 Monterey. My bad for not expressing myself correctly.

Thanks Phil_Flood. Will try 1.66 and report later.

Here is the zip file. Contains two midis. Pruebabajos, without the VEL-0 notes. Pruebabajos2 with the VEL-0 notes. Thanks

Basstest.zip (945 Bytes)

Thanks. The bass in both seems to play and sound as quarter notes in the notarized version of the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM).

One more thing, back to your original conversation with Joe - If you are using the “note to stop a note” method, all of your bass notes in the drum kit need to be contained in a choke group, and the polyphony for each note in the choke group needs to be set to 1. Hopefully the notarized version of 1.64 clears up your problem and your won’t need any of this other stuff.

2 Likes

I thought I was using the notarized version. Pretty sure about that, but maybe I’m wrong. I will download the notarized version and try again.

Yep. Downloaded notarized version, compared to my installed one, same data, creation date, etc.
Nonetheless, I deleted my old app and proceeded with the new downloaded BB Manager.
The issue persists. I will try the beta now…

Phil. I downloaded and installed this version and immediately was warned that it will harm my computer. I believed it is the non-notarized version. Went ahead and located the 1.6.6 notarized version and installed that. Opened it, but the problem is still there. My bass notes sound for a full 4 seconds before fading. @persist did try my midi, I will ask some more questions to him…

I am testing right now. I think I found some issues and answers. Will keep you posted. Thanks to all.

Guys and gals, I think I got it figured out.
My first error was listening to the midi song in the “Midi Editor” of BB Manager (really, guys, THAT is not a midi editor :laughing:):
For example, I imported a midi file to a song part, right-click on it and select edit, to make sure the mappings were correct. Once there I clicked play, just to be sure everything sounded right, and by doing that, I would not hear the correct timings on the notes. My quarter notes sounded for 4 seconds before beginning to fade!
If I got out of the Midi Editor without applying any changes, and then click play on the main BB Manager window, everything would sound perfect! Crazy.

SECOND issue- if I made any changes on the midi editor, then the bass note duration would be messed up forever! Say I enter the editor and changed the velocity of one kick and click “Apply” to save the changes, or maybe delete a note, then I would lose the correct timing of the bass notes. That’s just messed up.

Soooo… Correct workflow for me would be open the midi in any of the tools I have, making all necessary changes and correct mapping for the kit I plan to use there, and then, at the very end importing to BB Manager. And DO NOT change anything midi-related in BB Manager, or else you lose the note offs and timing, etc…

At least until we get BBManager 2.0… soon… right? :wink:

I would like to thank all of you who took of their precious playing time to help me. Grateful! To @JoeInOttawa , @Phil_Flood and @persist , hats off to you.

Joel

3 Likes

I bet I speak for all of us when I say I’m just glad you got it sorted out. Even more so that you shared the solution.

By the way, the included MIDI editor is not a Singular creation, but, rather something one of the forum members built. Singular added it to the package (against their better interests) because people screamed for it. It’s not bad for a home brew, but I personally would never use it. I prefer to use something built and proven for the task.

Have a great weekend – welcome to the wormhole!

:slight_smile:

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe, didn’t know that. Very resourceful forum members, that’s very visible for sure.
I, for one, am very grateful that the midi editor shows in a very direct manner the mappings of each drum kit. It permits me to double check the assignments I make in midi, so kudos for that.
May you have a great weekend too.