I feel like I wasted $500 on Beat Buddy. VERY UNHAPPY

The problem with Drum machines and arranger keyboards, they tend to overplay in the beats or styles. I am an accordion player and had to redo from scratch the polka beats. Not close to what I wanted from factory. I got a nice beat that works for me. The country beats were weak too for my music styles. The editor is nice, but it needs some enhancements. I always start with a 4 measure loop then build up from their. it would be nice if you could copy and paste the 4 measures to maybe 11-15 more, then you can do slight edits on the remaining measures.
I like the rock kit the most as it gives more fullness to my music. I even programmed “Wipeout” on beat buddy using the accordion guitar sound through a Boss Gt-1 effects pedal.
Wipeout Beat Buddy

I’ve tried the country and blues songs and different drumsets but don’t hear a simple side-stick beat. The Mini 2 had it on song 1 of the ballad songs but the new version in V2 is slightly different than the mini and doesn’t have the sidestick. I did install V2 of songs/drumsets and was thrilled at first that the ballad songs were now there. However the ballad ONE is not the same as the mini and doesn’t have the sidestick. I upgraded from the Mini2 because I’d like to save presets and I do own Reaper (paid for) and EZ Drummer2, but I’m just not comfortable moving midi tracks to make them work in the BeatBuddy. The jazz songs have a very unrealistic tom/bass sound that sounds like the gated drums ala Phil Collins. I’ve been listening mostly on good recording headphones but have tried it out jamming through my PA system. I just never thought this would be so much work to get a usable sound.

thanks for the reply, I’m mostly into old classic country but I do play guitar in a hobby blues band that meets about once a month at my jam space. The blues ones aren’t so bad but the country songs are way too busy. I tried to get some songs from the forum, but a message came up saying they were unavailable/deleted. I don’t remember which ones though. I’m not interested in the one press songs I just need parts that I can pull up, verse, chorus, etc.

I’m beginning to wrap my head around the fills but you have to really be spot on with the pedal to make sure you just come in on the last 3 or 4 beats of a measure.

Yep. Any conversation strings from the old forum that got ported over to this new forum seems to have been disconnected from the file links.
It’s frustrating.
I used to visit the forum often to grab a song I needed for a gig or get some ideas.
This new forum needs a cleanup for sure.

https://forum.singularsound.com/t/beatbuddy-discourse-forum-error/5757

I’ve been down the exact same road with the BeatBuddy. I purchased it way before it was ever released originally and to this day have never been able to use it in a live performance situation. I agree that the drums, fills, intros and outros are lame! I have been able to do more and faster with my SR18. I am and have been very familiar with MIDI ever since MIDI started and purchased the BeatBuddy thinking it was going to be a piece of cake. That was stupid of me!

Anyway…with that all said… now that I am retired I pulled the BeatBuddy out of the closet and instead of throwing it in the trash have decided to give it a 4th try.

I will probably be posting a number of times here on the forum trying to get things right.

I went to the trouble to install default V2.0 and lost a key function I need. With default V2.0 I can no longer stop a paused song by holding down the main pedal. When I swap back the old default and SD card it works again. I have the same main pedal set up for both SD cards. Is this a bug with default V2.0?

Without this feature the pedal is lame for jamming with others not to mention a gig.

I haven’t tried BB with the footswitch since installing V2. I too have one switch set up to pause, would be a shame if it won’t function with V2

It functions fine! I use the auxillary footswitch and have it set to the left one - single tap stop, single tap restart. In fact with the way I have it set, if I restart with the right switch (and the song is at the right time) it starts back with a fill :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are the most welcome Timmy. I am sure you will not be disappointed. :slight_smile:

I’m afraid I’m just going to have to give up on the Beat Buddy. I just don’t have time to mess with it. I wish that I didn’t trade in my SR16. Winter is around the corner, who knows?

Let me know if you’re selling it.

dpsimon

I have had my BB for about 2 years, and I love it. I played in a band for about 25 years, and when it broke up, I want to go solo but I missed having a drummer, My Beat Buddy didn’t totally replace a live drummer, but it comes darn close. Not everthing about the BB always works but my live drummer wasn’t always pure satisfaction either. I do mostly small shows and house parties, so BB works for me. that’s all that’s important to me.

1 Like

I’m going to give it another try as I have a little spare time now.

musicians should never stop learning regardless of whatever tools or instruments…just saying and hope you find time to love your BB :slight_smile:

I found that you might have to re-program the foot switch using the newly installed card then save/lock it in the card. I have made several SD cards as backup and had to go through this process with each card.

1 Like

I had the original BeatBuddy and i too have given up on it. I had too much trouble with the manager program so
I’m back to using the mini2. More happy with that for now. Until something better comes along.

1 Like

My point exactly. Great product with so much potential.
People are giving up because it’s too difficult to use.
If you don’t support us why would we buy more singular sound products?

1 Like

By the way…
I know I can use other tools and I know midi.
I want to do it in one place. Quick and easy.
Maybe Straight to BB without the SD card?
Maybe with my iPad so I don’t have to start my computer?
Maybe to be able to do all this on stage?
Just thinking.
But nobody listens. :frowning: