Inputting a mic will need a mic preamp - which one is best cheapest and portable?

Since the Aeros has no effects, I would choose some kind of vocal effects unit. I use the old TC Helicon Voice Live Play, and the outs from this goes to the two main ins of the Aeros. My guitar effects pedal goes through the VL Play Aux, so that stereo guitar effects and vocal effects share the same Aeros main ins. That way I can use Aeros aux ins for my BeatBuddy. No mixer involved.

1 Like

I purchased the Cioks DC7 Power Supply. It powers my BeatBuddy, Aeros, MidiMaestro, my guitar effects pedal, my 12v voice effects pedal, the headpone amp, plus it’s got a usb output that can power my phone or anything that runs on 5v.

1 Like

im looking at klark teknik ct1, cathedral pipes durham cloudlifter c1 and ma 1 actron to boost signal by 25 db

looks very powerful, quite expensive, the v3 i just used needed 9volt at ac though lol I couldn’t do that but the preamp was perfect with a mixer

and you still have aux in if you want another instrument nice

One note, if you’re going to use the Rolls pre, keep in mind that it requires a shifting 9 V to 15 V adapter, this is because the phantom power requires more voltage I imagine. Keep this in mind if you are going to get it, it is not going to be so simple to power without its original adapter.

im getting the behringer umc202hd audio interface to preamp the guitar and mic through the main ins on the aeros let you know how it goes it has great reviews on youtube by julian klaus

You do understand the umc202hd may need a computer to power it via the USB connection and allow the audio to pass to its outputs(?). It can not be powered with a regular adapter.

Edit… I just powered up my umc404hd with its AC adapter and it does seem to work as a stand alone ‘preamp’. No guaranty the umc202hd would be the same though.

One other thing to consider if you’re going to input a guitar. Most guitars will sound better if plugged into a Hi-Z (high impedance) input jack. Some small mixers (and some interfaces) do have a switch that enables a Hi-Z jack connection such as shown below.

2 Likes

You might be able to power it using the proper USB power cable, as I do with some of my USB-powered devices. But I don’t know if the audio routing will work without a computer attached.

I suggest using a small mixer as the simplest/cheapest/quickest way to pre-amp and send multiple mics/instruments to the Aeros; even if it’s only one mic and one guitar…for now.

Before I started using a Scarlett 8i6 interface for all inputs and routing, I used a small mixer to pre-amp mics and instruments, then sent the stereo mix to the Aeros, then back to the mixer before send to amps/recorders. It worked well, especially with a band and especially on a budget.

Today’s equivalent of my little mixer is the Mackie VLZ4 Series 802VLZ4 8-Channel Ultra Compact Mixer.

1 Like

I’ve always found the M Audio Audio Buddy to be a good unit for tis type of thing. I has two channels of input with independent gain control, ability to accept 1/4" and XLR inputs, and it can provide phantom power to a mic, if needed. It appears that they are no longer available new. but there are quite a few to be found in the aftermarket on eBay and Reverb.

Don’t know if this is of interest. A few years back I needed a mic mixer for a consumer grade camcorder. I found a used Marantz PMD-602A which is battery operated (4 AA’s) and could provide phantom power if needed (12v/48v). Works well with the camcorder and provides plenty of gain for a dynamic mic. I just plugged it into my studio utility mixers line inputs (1/8" TRS to (2x)1/4" TS) and there was plenty of gain to be had. The 1/4" TS inputs of the PMD-602A are 10KΩ, so kind of low ohms for good sound from passive pickups on a guitar unless using another pedal between. The batteries supposedly will power it for 15 hours with phantom off. I haven’t killed a set as of yet for the video shoots I’ve done and AA’s are fairly cheap in bulk from Amazon. Have not tried rechargeable batteries yet.
B&H Photo does have a couple used presently.

a powerbank powers the umc202

is this mixer usb powered? ie with a powerbank?

Have you actually done this yourself or do you have a link to somewhere that can verify this? The Julian Krause review does not mention ‘standalone’ powering in the video I watched.
A standalone powering of the UMC202HD may work, but it might not work as well unless someone has proven that it will.
I have an older Tascam US144mkII that I’ve tried standalone powering and it does not work. Some of its LED’s illuminate, but nothing of the audio functions.

Yes I own it now

Good to know :+1:

ive decided to buy the ag06

I think a mixer plus preamp dedicated or in the form of an audio interface to boost signal into looper is best way and a headphone amp too

I just purchased the Cioks DC7 for exactly this purpose, BB, Aeros looper and Midi Maestro, excited to try it out, it just arrived.

Interesting convo here . I got the rolls . I like it . I put it through the right input of a stereo guitar pedal and in to the right input of the Aeros .
The level is good cos I can adjust it on the rolls . It’s turned relatively low

I do have a problem with the input level of my acoustic guitar going in to the left input. It clips . I find it very sensitive at line level . I run my acoustic through a series of pedals . My guitar volume is set very low on the instrument. It really needs to be higher to get good use of the pedal effects but the level going in to the Aeros is high . I need to be able to drive my guitar hotter and have the Aeros input level trimed much lower . There is no input level control on the Aeros . Any suggestions?