Live Performers....easier to use BB up high or use footswitch to navigate?

I’m new and used OnSong mostly for just set list and lyrics/ chords. Now that I’m thinking of flying solo ( Beat Buddy is a huge help) I’ll check out the Onsong capabilities. Only had it 1 day so far .

I currently have about 100 songs on the BB - all with their own beats/fills/changes, etc. I have the BB on the ground as well as the BB foot switch. When not playing, the BB foot switch #1 steps backwards through the songlist, the #2 switch steps forward. When playing, the #1 switch triggers the accent (usually a crash cymbal), #2 triggers the outro. I start the BB with the main pedal and use it for the fills and transitions to the next pattern. All of the songs have at least two patterns, verse and chorus, most have more, some as many as eight. I also use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic harmonizer with 3 foot switches so a total of 6 foot switches to operate in some songs! Took some practice but now it’s a comfortable operation.

I found years ago that having words/chords in front of me - whether on paper or electronically - actually increased the number of errors I was likely to make in a live performance because I found myself constantly looking at the words/chords instead of ‘relaxing’ into the song. So my personal philosophy now is: just learn the dang song! So I never have lyrics/chords with me. OTOH, I have a good friend who’s also been doing live performances for as long as I have and he always uses a fake book (paper or electronic) for every performance. So what works for somebody doesn’t necessarily work for someone else! :slight_smile:

1 Like

"… just learn the dang song! " I have over 400 songs in OnSong, Over three hundred with HX Stomp amp/effect s and Beatbuddy sings automatically selected via midi from OnSong. Most if not all I can play only with Onsong. Your quote above has inspired me to getting to know some songs off by heart, and see how performance improves, I suspect it will make me more expressive and creative too, thank you.