MIDI Maestro not found in Bluetooth

I’m stuck at the most basic step: I can’t seem to get MIDI Maestro to show up on my list of Bluetooth devices on my iOS device. I press the Bluetooth Pairing button on the MM, the blue light flashes, I never see the MM on my list of Bluetooth devices.
I’ve power cycled MM several times. Power cycled the phone. I’ve confirmed that the phone not only is using Bluetooth but I’ve added other new devices. I’ve looked for alternative names in the list of Bluetooth devices. Nope.
Any tips or thoughts? Anybody?

Edit - I have also attempted to update the firmware. Surprizingly; The manual does not indicate that one has to actually PAIR the MM over Bluetooth before updating the firmware. Somehow I suspect this is an oversight…but I tried the same way that the manual indicates (copied below) and can’t seem to update the firmware. My current firmware is 1.1.4.

When I follow the instructions below, when I selecte “Update Firmware” the app jumps to the main “page 1” setup page immediately. The firmware is not updated.

Press and hold the Pairing button on the back panel so the MIDI Maestro is in
pairing mode. (Do you intend to have the user RELEASE the button, or do you acutlally want the user to continue holding the button? Not clear documentation. User tried both options. Do you intend to have the user actually check and see that the MM has paired?
) Open up the MIDI Maestro phone app (we’ll call it the MM app) and
press the upper left menu button.
Press “Update Firmware” to update the MIDI Maestro firmware. Once complete,
press “Update Default Modes” to up

Running iOS 14.2 on iPhone 6S

I had the same experience however I found that the MM only pairs from making a selection in the app like an update check. You have to make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone, put the MM in pairing mode. On the app menu select the update and you’ll notice the screen will show the icon that it’s busy. You’ll also note that the flashing blue pairing light stops flashing and is now solid blue showing it’s connected. The manual (at least for the iOS app is wrong in several places. There is no way to delete custom modes, commands, etc. without just deleting the app and starting over. And of course, as you know, the MM never shows up in the found BT devices. The MM only pairs from making a selection in the app like an update.

Thank you 6String. Unfortuantly, the behavior you describe isn’t what I’m seeing. If I put the MM in pairing mode, then on the app I selted the “update” I do NOT notice the screen shwing the icon that it is busy. Instead, immediately after I select “update”, the app goes onto the main page. I never seen any indication that the system is updating and the firmware never updates.

Let’s see if this helps:

Once you have the blue light flashing on your MM pedal and have opened the iOS app, do not switch from the app to check your Bluetooth or any other settings on your device. IMPORTANT: Leave the iOS app open and in the foreground—once you put the iOS app in the background, it seems to lose it’s connection with the pedal.

1. Probably not.

2. If you are still having problems updating the firmware on your MM, delete the iOS app from your device and reinstall the iOS app from the App Store (it should be 1.0(9).

• power on to the MM pedal
  • open the iOS app
  • press and hold the pedal BT button until blue light flashes and release
  • press the hamburger button (upper left corner) of the iOS app
  • press Update Firmware (percentage countdown should display on the app); when done, iOS app should display Finished and pedal blue light should stop flashing
  • press and hold the BT button until blue light flashes and release
  • press Update Default Modes (percentage countdown should display on the app); when done, iOS app should display Finished and pedal blue light should stop flashing (I say should however, sometimes Finished does not display on the iOS app and the blue light may or not stop flashing—this seems to happen to me most of the times when trying to update the default modes)
  • at this stage I usually cycle the power on the pedal to off and then back on, press the Modes button on the back of the pedal and check that the lower left pedal pane displays v1.1.5 to confirm that the firmware update has completed

If you’re still having problems, you’ll need to contact Support, support@singularsound.com for help. But please let us know how you finally get it working as this will be another source to help users in a similar situation.

1 Like

Hey,

Please do follow Persist’s steps!

I just want to point out that you do not have to connect your phone directly to the MM via Bluetooth to make it work, most Bluetooth enabled apps will connect via the app, this includes the MM app. Occasionally, the iPhone will require you to “Allow new connections” but will notify you if this is necessary.

Feel free to check out the manual for more clarity!

Than, you all for the help. It looks like I am able to connect now.
Following the instrucaiotns that Persist provided didn’t do the trick at first. I was getting the same behavior as before: When i pressed “Update Firmware”, nothing would happen: I was simply returend to the main page of the app and never saw the percentage showing the firmware update was in process.
I deleted the app and reinstalled it and tried again. No luck. I deleted the app again, then updated the iOS to 14.2, then restarted the iphone, then reinstalled the app. This time I’m able to update the firmware - Now when I press “Update Firmware” it seems to actually be updating (I’m seeing the progress indicator).

A side note: On the iphone 6s some of the text is cut off at the bottom of the screen… lt looks like the text might say “logout” but you can only see the top 1/3 of the letters and there’s apparently no way to scroll this window.

Seems like the iOS app is kind of in it’s basic stages of release. I’ll keep my eyes open for new versions.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like