New BB Mini for $149?

Why can’t the pedal I’m wishing for plug into the midi port on the BB?

It would also send Midi commands… But why not?..:slight_smile:

Sounds like you’ve done a bit of real system design work in your past! I agree that much of the robust functionality requested here on the forum will likely require a remote MIDI-based terminal of some kind. There’s only so much to be squeezed out of the limited UI on the BB and the designers have already done a very good job of using the UI to the max.

Now you’re talking about adding some computing power inside the foot switch if you’re doing to use MIDI signals to talk between the foot switch and the BB. That drives the complexity and cost up considerably plus you need to get power into the foot switch somehow.

Peavey used to use MIDI cables to talk to the footswitches on their older amps and this worked reasonably well but that didn’t MIDI signals, it was just analog - one wire for each switch plus ground. That supported 6 switches on 8 wires (8 pin DIN cable). I have three Transformer 112 modeling amps that use an 8 conductor MIDI cable to do this. The Peavey BAM bass modeling amp also used the same setup. Note that unless you are clever about the design, you can’t have both - analog switches and digital MIDI - on one connector.

The newer Peavey foot switches with the digital interface cost more than double the old analog foot switches (~$100 for the newer Sanpera foot switch vs $40 for the old analog foot switch for the Transformer and the BAM).

Yes absolutely this imo…I have a chart reading app that can actually transmit a “burst” midi message (including sysex) when a chart is loaded. Using MIDI is the way I plan to use the BB, with the BB on the keyboard stand and using the BB external footswitch. I will be experimenting with the new MIDI spec in FW 1.77 as soon as the cable arrives (maybe today :smiley: ) from what I have seen on the BB screen as far as what can be sent to the BB, well it should take care of what I want to do I think.