OnSong and Beatbuddy MIDI folder / song selection enhancement?

Is OnSong sending on channel 1? FWIW, in my similar setup, I use an iRig BlueBoard to send the midi start and stop to OnSong. I might try the BB connected to the BT-01 with OnSong alone, bypassing the VL3, to see if BB is sending the midi signal.

If I run into issues with MIDI not working how I expect, I debug it with MIDIOX on my PC. I have a cheap USB-MIDI patch lead that I put inline and use MIDIOX to listen/send MIDI commands.
You can get MIDIOX here: http://www.midiox.com/
And a cheap USB-MIDI cable here: https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Cable-Converter-Keyboard-Window/dp/B0017H4EBG

Update: The VL3 does not seem to have a merge mode, or at least doesnā€™t send on the BB messages. I tried the BT01 with only the BB (i.e., I took the VL3 out of the loop) and it works. (Phil Flood: great minds think alike. :wink: I can send AND receive ā€“ I got the OnSong app to receive the MIDI messages from BB and can start autoscroll when BB starts. Also, I must have BB as the first unit being sent to from the BT01, and with the BB in midi MERGE it will send Channel 2 messages on thru to the VL3. But VL3 doesnā€™t send on any BB messages on to the BT01. I need to find out if I can have 2 BT01ā€™s communicating to an iPad and OnSong. If so, Iā€™ll just have two of them, with one each into the BB and the VL3.

Hi John. I am so encouraged with your depth of understanding regarding interfacing Beatbuddy with ONsong. I am a true newbie to Beatbuddy, folders, and ONsong, but have very clear ideas about what I need to be able to do. Iā€™m a Mac user and still canā€™t even load the drumsets into BB manager I bought from the BBlibrary. I will continue to look for guidance from ones, such as you!

IS IT POSSIBLE TODAY TO CONTROL ONSONG AND BB WITH ONLY ID SONGS ?

The B.B. firmware does not recognize song ID, so no. This was partially implemented in one update (it may have been a beta) but was not put in place in the most recent official releases.

thankā€™s for your reply Phil

Hi all,

ā€œSong IDā€ looked promising however, I canā€™t see any documentation on it.

Any updates or workarounds to dynamically look up songs between OnSong/BB?

A repertoire of 500+ songs because a management nightmare every time a new song is added.

Thanks in advance.

Song ID was a feature that was experimented with in a beta release. It was not fully implemented due to other issues with that beta.

My method for keeping the OnSong folders under control is to keep them near the top of my folder list. As I finish or fill one, I add a new one beneath it. I have, I believe 70+ folders, but only the first 11 have OnSong ID numbers.

2 Likes