Sync Click Track to Beat Buddy

That is definitely a much simpler approach and a good idea, but you do have transition to part 2. Depending on where the breakdown happens and what you’re playing at the time can be tricky at times to coordinate with a BB transition. .

1 Like

Yes, I guess I am asking about quantizing the BB to a backing track but that is way low on this list. It might be a nice to have but not a requirement.

Wow, you must be a really smart guy to figure all that stuff out and make your own device!!! :nerd_face:

Can you clarify what you meant by “ However, it doesn’t have an audio metronome which is something you are asking for.” Your device has an audio sound that can be routed to a mixer channel, right?

1 Like

UPDATE: I did figure out how make Quantiloop work as a click track that sync up with the BB. And it was rather simple.

1. Record one bar of nothing on Quantiloop track Do this by hitting button record button for the track.

2. Configure the Quantiloop tempo source for metronome and enable Start on Play

3. Enable Mute Pause on the BB.

When I start the BB, the track starts playing and metronome click is perfectly in sync with the BB. When I pause the BB, the QL click keeps right on playing. I come back in by unpausing or by hitting main pedal coming back in with a fill.

1 Like

Sorry, wires are getting crossed. There are 2 CLOCKstep devices: The original and the new one called MULTI. The original one doesn’t have an audio metronome while MULTI does. I only brought up the original in the context of quantize because it has some very deep custom MIDI quantize features while MULTI’s only quantize ability is to send the MIDI Start command. They are 2 very different types of master clocks.

It seems easier to me than just trying to hit the unpause button at the right time. I can do it, but I have to hit it right on the 1 of the next measure. By making an actual breakdown hi hat or shaker part, I’m not having to pause or unpause. I’m transitioning to another part. I make sure to put in transition fills. I don’t have to worry about hitting right on the 1. When I get to the last measure of my breakdown part, I can hit my transition almost anywhere in that measure. The Beatbuddy plays the transition fill, and then the main drum part comes in right on the 1, automatically!

1 Like

I will say that I don’t do any looping. So, I don’t have to deal with that. Also, I don’t use any one-press beats. So, I spend time practicing hitting transitions at the correct time in the Premium songs. I enjoy using my Beatbuddy like this, it feels more musical when I get it right.

1 Like

Yeah, there are so many ways to go about it, and more experimentation with the gear you have will usually reveal a way that can work, even if it wasn’t what you thought it would be at the outset. If you have what you need now, then you carry on, put it to use, until you can determine that it’s no longer what you need. That’s what I’ve always done.

And one size definitely cannot fit all.

For myself, I support using dedicated Master Clocks because, despite the solo video I shared, I normally play with a drummer. Things like having a Count In on the IEMs, break downs and pauses, configurable click track, and even just working with all the gear in a more modular fashion, is what is most comfortable in our situation. Especially getting into recording live loops. A pre-recorded drum track or drum machine, or even some backing part that has a heavy dose of rhythm, does make certain things easier when it comes to “syncing” up.

Many good solutions here. When a live drummer takes a break in a song how do you stay in tempo? Usually they do a snare hit right before 1 or some kind of fill. I program these things into the BB so it guides me back in. If it is a long break I will keep the high hat going softly, usually on 2 and 4.

1 Like

This is the way.

I assume you transition to a main beat programmed with this high-hat beat, correct? If so, yes that would definitely work. I do find hitting the pause button on my foot pedal along with the accent button a bit easier that holding down the main pedal for a transition. With that said, I could program a button on my midi foot pedal to start a transition.

I gotta tell ya, though. This Quantiloop solution is working pretty good. And the fact that already owned in along with the spare iPad made it real easy. The tricky part is starting a song with the click and without drums. They are not in sync at that point and you really have to make sure you hit the BB on 1 or you are doomed. LOL!

1 Like

I really like that device of yours. It is definitely on my list. It has multiple uses which I like: syncing up midi devices for recording and live performance.

1 Like

If you have Mute Pause disabled, when you unpause, the BB will automatically come in on 1.

Yeah, that’s where, if you ever do get into CS:M, it can help. I find, as a performer and not only a guy just making gear, I’m often tied up with other things to do with my feet on the downbeat, like switching a guitar preset. But when I use Quantize, I have the option of running the CS:M clock just to hear the metronome, and then press Start any time in the measure before I need to start the other devices; the MIDI Start command is sent on the metronome’s 1 beat every time. It’s very similar the type of quantize mode you get built-in to Aeros and other loopers in fact, so it’s not really unusual or complex. It’s a way to help you do that same kind of thing with other MIDI gear.

In any event, I’m glad that you found a solution using the stuff that you already own and you didn’t have to compromise what you really wanted to do. That’s always best.

If you think you might be interested in what CS:M has in the future, I just uploaded the first draft of the documentation. I didn’t have it to refer you to before. Cheers!

1 Like

Good to know! Thanks for the clarification :+1:

Speaking about Aeros, I’ve been thinking . . .