Thoughts on adding 'spectral information' beyond just drums to the mix

here are a couple of workarounds that some people (including me) were using a couple of years ago for playing samples or triggering external samples:

http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?threads/beatbuddy-loops-via-samples-warren-g-regulate.4441/#post-15408

Thanks, yes, that answers my question.

Another one: can’t remember off the top of my head right now, but does the BeatBuddy send MIDI “note off” also and/or does it keep note length intact on playback? (thinking about possibilities for triggering external synths)

Yes, it does send Note Off. That is implemented by labeling the instrument as “non-percussion” in the Drum Kit builder window. If you leave it as “percussion” then note offs are not sent. And then again, yes, with a non-percussion instrument it does send the midi designated note length. And, it actually appears to send notes out of itself better than it processes them internally. By this, what I mean is that if you have a series of notes of very short duration, if the BB is send the notes to an external midi device, they get processed properly. Within the BB, if you have the same very short notes, they appear to get cut off too quickly, and just sound like ticks. When I prepare pieces for BB, I use a minimum note length of 200 ticks (at 120 BPM). That seems to avoid the issue, and still keeps things fairly short. I would not expect it to handle anything shorter or faster than 1/32 notes, in general.