"UNABLE TO COPY SONG" and other fun

I’m getting really good at uninstalling and reinstalling BeatBuddy Manager (two or three times in the last two weeks), which is the real reason I hate Windows computers (c’mon, Mac version!). The last time I did the uninstall/reinstall, it fixed my issue but this one is new.

I’m getting an error message on startup (verbatim):“Error while parsing song Oldie 3-4 on snare in folder Oldies. The song was recovered and a copy of the faulty song was created at: UNABLE TO COPY SONG The error log is: 1-AbstractFilePartModel::readFromFile - ERROR - unable to map p_Buffer”…ALL of which means absolutely NOTHING to me. I don’t use this particular file, but now I have other files I can’t access. Prime example, when attempting to import an unmodified song that I’ve exported, I get the message “Missing Effect to Song mapping information. Skipping file” I have attempted deleting the default library and reinstall it, then deleting the BeatBuddy Manager and reinstalling it, all to no avail. Someone that knows why Windows is so stupid, but more importantly has a genuine fix to my problem…HELP!!

Blaming Windows is hardly the way to go and believing Mac will miraculously fix all problems is a bit naive.

Looks like you have a faulty hard drive here - you may have powered your computer off several times without normally shutting down Windows. Run some diagnostics tools like checkdisk.

UNABLE TO COPY SONG - means you have bad BeatBuddy Project. No way reinstalling anything would fix that. Simply download a new version of the Project here - http://mybeatbuddy.com/downloads/, and open it in BBManager.

“Missing Effect to Song mapping information. Skipping file” - you’ve exported a song that contained illegal characters in it’s name, and now you are unable to import it. This issue was already fixed in the intermediate version that’s in the work now (1.3.3 RC3).

Daefecator beat me to it…again :stuck_out_tongue: below is my take on the issues.

Not seen this before, but then I have not had many issues with the BB.
What OS are you using to run the BB?
Personally I would backup the song in question by exporting it and then delete it from the manager software and try again. If that solves your issue and you don’t use it - then that would be a solution. I think the BB team should create a backup of all the songs so you can the then restore any deleted ones ect…
[/quote]

This is a well known bug which has been discussed numerous times and I also cover it in my 2nd video and it has to do with the slash in the title of the song. You need to remove the slash before exporting the song then reimporting it.

Daefacator, I don’t believe that the Mac version is going to “miraculously solve all my problems”, but I work with both machines enough to know which one is less problematic, but I’m not here to argue the merits of the computers and which one is best. That point is moot. You were correct in one particular observation: Windows began a software update, I clicked the “Postpone” button when it told me it was fixing to reboot, and went on about my business. Before I knew it, the computer started shutting everything down so it could perform its updates. This was the point that I started having the issues. Where can I find "checkdisk? Also, when you say to download a new copy of the project, to what are you referring? The Library? Forgive me, but my computer programming knowledge does not exceed more than an Excel Spreadsheet. :wink: Do we know when the 1.33 version will be released?

Psalm40, I’m using my dad’s laptop and it’s running Windows 7. You actually helped me with the second issue already and the title of the song is simply one word (“Overcame.sng”). I have tried deleting it, exporting it again, and then re-importing it but I keep getting that same error message. This was the point when I deleted the library and reinstalled, and when that didn’t work, I deleted the BBM and re-installed it, as well…all with the same messages.

I hope this may offer up some more information and I do appreciate both of you for your help in this. Hopefully, with your help, I can get this fixed and get back to rockin’! :smiley:

To run Check Disk Windows utility:
For Windows 7, press Win button, type “cmd” without quotes (don’t press Enter right away!)
A cmd,exe should come up in the search, so right-click it and “Run as Administrator”.
Type “chkdsk” without quotes in opened window.
Wait for the program to complete.

To fix issue with your project.
Just download a new copy of a project, and open it via BBManager.

Lol, somewhy I cannot post “cmd(dot)exe”. This should probably be investigated :slight_smile:

Marcaphobia what is your problem now? I think I got lost in your post.
Remember Google is your friend, check disk is just used to check the Hard disk for errors etc…
Daefecator suggested recreating your SD card. first make a backup of any folders/songs you have created. Download the SD card backup from the downloads area, unpack it and copy everything to your BeatBuddy overwriting everything.
However if your BeatBuddy is working I would try reimporting the project from the pedal first and see if you have the same issues.

So, when I open the BBManager, I get the same message every time about “Error while parsing song…” and, when I go to that particular song, it comes up as a blank song. I tried rebuilding it, then saving it, then closing BBM. When I tried to reopen it, I got the same message, checked the beat, and sure enough, it was blank (ready to build) again. I’m not sure how to fix this.

Additionally, when I attempt to import the ONE SONG that I’m needing right now, it gives me the second message. It will export just fine (and I can export and import any OTHER song, thankfully), but I can’t seem to get this one to work. It plays just fine in the BBM and the name I am giving it is a simple one-word name, with no extra icons (just letters). I don’t think this is a BBM issue but I’m not tech savvy enough to work through the Windows issue.

Look, I really want to help you.

I am not sure I will be able to explain myself so you can easily understand what to do, but I’ll try. Bear with me, and we will get your problem hopefully worked out.

Option 1.
Pros: easiest for you.
Cons: You will need a lot of traffic to upload whole your project for me to check.

What to do:

1. Find your project that you work on.
  2. You need a folder on your computer that contains SONGS, EFFECTS, DRUMSETS and other files and folders.
  3. Pack this folder into an archive and upload it to somewhere on the internet and give me the link.

To pack the folder.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … =windows-7

To upload the zipped file
Try this hosting http://www.filedropper.com/, or any other of your choice.

I ran the check as you suggested and from what I can tell, no problems were found.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)…
175616 file records processed.
File verification completed.
962 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
47 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)…
239292 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)…
175616 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
31839 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal…
36163800 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

312568831 KB total disk space.
56926372 KB in 119632 files.
97828 KB in 31840 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
291635 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
255252996 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

78142207 total allocation units on disk.
63813249 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Windows\system32>

I also attempted to export the corrupted file but the manager would not allow me to. I am going to try to re-download the program, as you suggested earlier. I appreciate all your help guiding me through this issue.

That’s good that your disk has no errors.

You don’t need to export anything from BBManager! Close the program, simply pack whatever you have next to EFFECTS, SONGS, PARAMS and DRUMSETS folder into an archive and upload it for me to check.

You don’t need to re-download the program! All you need is to download the SD Card Backup - it is that very archive I want to see from you.
The one you’ll download from the site is “clean” - it contains only shipped songs with no errors.
Yours one you’ll probably upload will be somehow modified, so I would like to check that for diagnostics.

Reinstalling BBManager won’t solve anything, so don’t bother with that.

I finally got everything uploaded. Here’s the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0jn6adcbphy1 … s.rar?dl=0

Thank you again.

Wow, that’s a really insane archive, you’ve managed to completely pack everything you could into it, thanks for that! :slight_smile:

Now on to diagnostics - just as I said - you have a mangled song - Oldies 1 in your project :confused: By the way, you are missing Oldies 1, 2 and 3 songs.
I cannot tell you exactly how that happened, but this is the reason you are unable to Import the Project to Pedal.

I’d suggest you delete the whole folder Oldies from your content, and then import that folder again from this source:
You will probably need to use the Organize > Move Folder Up feature to move the newly imported Oldies folder back to where it should be (in alphabetical order).

Or (if you don’t want to mess with that) You can simply download your fixed SONGS folder and replace your original SONGS folder inside your project “Shiloh Church - Project” - .

I am totally sorry you’ve had to go through all this crap with uploading the archive, and I will make sure a completely vague message of “There is at least one invalid song” message will be replaced with more informative “You have (this exact) invalid song” message.

Yup. No reason to blame anything but bad software.

Thank you so much for your help with the Oldies folder. That worked perfectly. Is there any way you can send me the same thing for “Odd Time Grooves.” We are also getting an error message when trying to import “Odd Time Grooves 3 - 6/8” I’ve deleted the folder from the manager but I can’t find a way to re-import it from the default library in my documents.
I’m sorry to keep coming back at you with more problems but this seems to have multiple layers. Thanks again!

Sure, but I’d simply recommend you to backup your own SONGS folder, and totally replace it with the contents from my second archive SONGS.zip in my previous post.

But here is Odd Time folder for you:

I have replaced the “Song” file you mentioned and the “Odd Time Grooves” folder in the manager. I am still getting the “Missing Effect to Song mapping information. Skipping file” error but I am not using any odd characters. Just lowercase letters.
Thank you.