Aeros 5.0 midi sync w/BB 4.1.3 and OnSong

I think they should somehow compensate individuals who take the time to help them improve their products.

I have experienced this issue with the Aeros /w 5.0.3 tempo not staying synced with the BeatBuddy when controlled by OnSong. I’ve repeated the issue multiple times on two Aeros loopstations (see video: Aeros with Firmware 5 0 3 - YouTube). The problem goes away when I switch the Aeros back to running Firmware 4.3.1 (see video: Aeros with Firmware 4 3 1 - YouTube). I reported this issue to support@singularsound.com on 4/14/23 but at this time Singular Sound says it is more likely an issue on the OnSong end, so they have not worked on providing a firmware/software solution. I agree that the issue relates to how OnSong is sending tempo information, but the fact is that the Aeros tempo responded correctly with previous versions of their firmware prior to 5.0.3.

The one workaround is to disable OnSong from sending tempo information every 2 seconds and to only send tempo information when you change to a new chart. You change this in OnSong by going into MIDI Settings >> SYNC >> Tempo >> then deselect the slider “Send tempo every 2 seconds” that is at bottom of the page. The default is for this to be enabled, but I’ve found that the Aeros seems to stay synched if you turn this setting off. Once you do this, OnSong sends the tempo to the BeatBuddy only when you first change to a different chart or change the tempo in the chart instead of sending the tempo every 2 seconds. In my limited testing so far, I haven’t observed the Aeros going out of sync with the BeatBuddy. With the previously selected setting of sending the tempo every 2 seconds, the Aeros sync would fluxuate away from the BeatBuddy for a second or two every once in a while.

Here’s a link to the video I recorded that shows the settings I’ve changed in OnSong that improve or resolve the issue I was experiencing with the Aeros w/5.0.3 not syncing correctly to the BeatBuddy when controlled by OnSong sending MIDI Tempo: 2023-06-22 OnSong MIDI Settings that I've Found Improve Aeros Syncing to the BeatBuddy - YouTube

Here’s a link to all my previous videos I’ve recorded demonstrating the issue: Aeros w/5.0.3 Sync Issues with BeatBuddy when Controlled by OnSong Sending Tempo via MIDI - YouTube

Hey all,

To us, the fact a setting on Onsong fixes the issue means it is not an issue that must be resolved, but something users will have to know is needed in the future. We do agree it’s odd that the bug is there now and wasn’t before, but we can see why sending tempo continuously could cause issues, it is possible the Aeros is just more sensitive to the issue now and no longer skirts its way out of the issue manifesting into a desync.

That being said, Onsong is a 3rd party application and we do not have control over the behavior users may encounter when a 3rd party device is doing something the Aeros responds negatively to, the fact that simply switching a setting solves the issue means we will not be investigating this further.

Some users are reporting they still send the continuous message out but only on a channel the BeatBuddy is listening to, so the Aeros filters it.

Thank you all for reporting and we apologize for the inconvenience!

This solution did not work for me. I had about 4 songs in a 3 hour set that were off tempo still.

What I noticed was that as songs in OnSong are changed, the tempo ramps up or ramps down. It does not change directly to the new tempo. If OnSong sends the one tempo signal while it is still in the ramp phase, you get stuck on an incorrect tempo.

I’ve got more testing to do on v4 and v5, but for now, I’ve gotta keep the sending every two seconds on for mine to be accurate.

Hi Brennan, I’m living with the workaround I figured out, but I still feel Singular Sound should address the OnSong tempo sensitivity in a future release of Firmware. Firmware prior to 5.x.x did not show this sensitivity to OnSong tempo.

Please continue to post whatever you learn and let me know if you need me to try and replicate anything you discover.

I completly agree that Singular Sound should look into this issue. I now have two complete setups, two BeatBuddies, two Midi Maestros, and two Aeros Loopers. The only difference is one Aeros has version 4.3.1 and works perfectly, and the other Aeros has version 5.1.1, and has the sync problem. I have tried the above fixes, and nothing I have tried solves the problem. I realize Onsong is not a Singular Sound product, but for me, and I assume for many others, Onsong is a very important part of making the Singular Sound products usable in a live performance situation. If Singular Sound will come out with their own replacement for Onsong that works with the latest firmware for the Aeros, I would be first in line to try it! If not…come on Brennan, help us out here!