Aeros - *bug* Count-in Click Track

Hello. I am recently experiencing perhaps a glitch (unless I am doing something wrong) in regards to the count-in click track measures before recording.

When I create a new song the click track count in works as expected. Also, after stopping the song and switching to a brand new unused Song Part the click count in works as well.

However, if I stop the song after I have recorded Track 1 then move to Track 2 and hit record it does NOT give me a measure of count in; instead it immediately starts recording. In my opinion if you set the mode to count-in a measure before recording it should ALWAYS add a measure of click before beginning a recording from a stopped position. This situation also occurs if I undo a track. Unless the Song Part is totally unused at all when I hit record it immediately starts recording without a count-in measure. It only adds the count in when I switch to a brand new unused Song Part. As soon as something has been recorded on it, even if I undo it, the count-in function is no longer available; instead it just immediately starts recording. So that means even on Track 1 if I make a mistake on the first time through I no longer have the option of using a 1 measure count in. The only way to fix it so I get a count in again is to clear the whole song and start over or switch over to Song Part 2 (assuming part 2 is totally blank cause otherwise the count in wouldn’t work).

Hopefully this can be patched in a future update as I am using the Aeros to create song Parts and Tracks one at a time while stopping each track after I have successfully recorded the phrase. It is becoming quite a hassle not having a count-in measure when I try to add another Track to the same song part as I have to let the whole loop of the first track play in it’s entirety before I can enter on beat one of the 2nd track.

Also to let you know I am on Version 3.0.0 as I am awaiting the wifi download of the latest firmware.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong or if this is indeed a bug and could be patched up. Thanks for your help.

-Jason (Dayton, OH)

2 Likes

I can only get count in to work

1. On the very first time recording a track on a fresh song or
  2. After long pressing the Stop button to clear all tracks.

If I record my first track and undo it, I do not get a count in. Is this a bug?

I’ll add this was very confusing, because I expected to get a count in every time I record, just a DAW, whose behavior this mimics.

I would love if I could get a count in on every record pass, for example to launch my looper and then take a seat at a new instrument to play the part. But especially for the first time I play each new track, I’d want the option to hear the count in to help get into the tempo and groove, or else I’ll have to lay down a blank loop and listen once through.

Ideally count in would allow options like:

1. Count in on empty part (current behavior, though with undo bugs as I mentioned)
  2. Count in on record (if you hit play, no count in, but if you hit record it counts in)
  3. Count in always

The current use case for count in is so narrow that I went my first evening with the pedal not ever getting it to work because of the order in which I was doing things.

1 Like

did you ever get this sorted? Im having that problem now

1 Like

2-Count in on record can be done if you disable 'Midi Start" record. in this case you need to press the switch for recording
3- Count in always can be done in Aeros settings. Click after recording first track set to ON
You can use the click track "always o"n in the main output if you use a PA or Headphone (so that you can stop de click )

Hey all, thanks for the feedback!

You’ll be happy to hear that we will be revisiting the Click settings to have Off, On, First Track, and Count in as options, we will also now not play the click if it is not routed anywhere in any circumstance. Routing will no longer be the way to avoid the click being heard minus for count ins (how it works now).

We are also going to look into a setting that will allow a user to set whether the count in is only for the First track, Recording (any track recorded from a stopped state), or Record and Playback (always)

Separately, we will likely be adding a newer mechanism for selecting count in length allowing from 1-99

The undone track issue is it’s own bug which we will also look into.

This is not going to be in the next few updates but it will be tackled relatively soon, probably before or once Backing Tracks are completed.

For this reason, I will tag this as #med-long-term

Thanks again!

2 Likes

This is great news. This will open lots of use cases for me where it currently proves to be awkward. Thanks for adding this to not-so-far-backlog, and looking forward to this for sure - it will make my Aeros get a LOT more attention in my studio.

1 Like

Got my unit today. Precisely this issue is bugging me no end! My first “baby steps” failed. As an absolute beginner, having messed up the very first recording, how does one start anew with a count-in?

Sorry! I missed your post there

You would have to have a blank song part, there is no way to count in unless the song part is blank, this will be remedied by another update to allowing users to choose if count in is only during recording or also during playback

Re “I will tag this as #med-long-term” - good to hear that it’s on your radar, but that tag sounds very much like a year or two wait, which would surely kill the very positive buzz I had when I bought the machine. I’m finding it very difficult to learn looping with the Aeros, and the only reason being the lack of a count-in option aimed at beginners or more tentative users.

( Although I call myself a beginner here, I’m actually a 67 year old musician, product manager / sound designer / user guide author for an audio software company u-he

This may not be that far off from now, we understand things can be better and we are working on everything we can without losing pace; work on the Aeros is constant.

Thank you for your feedback and your patience.

Agree with this request!

One possible short term workaround might be to trigger playback on a song part, THEN trigger Record on a fresh track. Recording will be delayed until the start of the next loop cycle so it’s a bit like a count-in…