Aeros firmware 2.12.2 -- BETA Freeform

Would it be possible to add in a 1/4 and 1/8 times signature option?

This would enable people to sync to the beat of any time signature, and use different time signatures for different parts.

I have lots a songs where I change time signature for different parts, with my Ditto X4 in serial mode this is not a problem, as it just syncs to the beat irrespective of time signature, I think a 1/4 and 1/8 mode would be effectively the same as this

1 Like

I just took delivery of my Aeros today. I was unaware that it didn’t already have a freeform with synced tracks option, as this is how nearly every other looper on the market primarily functions and something I definitely need.

As others have mentioned and one thing I would definitely want to see is that consecutive tracks can be multiples of the master track. Meaning if my master track is 10 seconds long, I can record a synced second track that is 20 seconds long. My last couple loopers did this (LoopyHD and a Looperlative) but some don’t.

Also, LoopyHD has a metronome that reads the free track you just recorded and then sends out flashes or clicks after dividing it up to your time signature. This lets you have a visual cue where the beat is without having to plot in your bpm before hand- very handy.

1 Like

Finally getting to try out freeform and it seems to be on a good path so far. I like the way it’s setup for right now but would hope that both options David mentioned would be included in the final release.

One bug I found is that previously saved songs (in 12.11) have been clipped by a measure. I had several four-measure 251 tracks saved and they’re now all three-measure tracks with a POP at the end. No biggie to remake them but i’m unsure if this is a general bug or a just byproduct of adding the freeform architecture… just FYI.

Clipping tracks would be a hassle for me, as I’ve already built up quite a library of backing tracks. I’ll wait for the official release and hope that this has been fixed by then.

1 Like

Just downloaded and played with freeform. I agree with the consensus above (and the most important for me) : Sync on starting point, keep tracks as multiples, and song changes at end of longest (non-muted, non-undone) track.

In general, the earlier I can click a button to queue up the next action, the better. When the action occurs and want to be focused on recording in the groove (not getting over having pressed a button and verifying that it’s going to work).

Can we do something to make it wait more than one “seam” before transitioning? For example, let me tap the button one more time to make the transition occur on the second loop (or four times for for loops). In some sense, you’re saying how many verses to play before going to the chorus. Also useful when the loop is very short. Bonus points for displaying the countdown of loops left before transition. This feature is also useful for non-freeform mode.

1 Like

With the actual Freeform Mode it is the first time I can use the looper in Bandsettings. Which is great :slight_smile:
Beside this I believe you could improve a lot by studying how the Boomerang Looper works. Many people say its the best looper for live use for a reason and I believe the Aeros could be the real next step if you work it out right. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 and 5, please.

1 Like

or I guess an even more ideal solution, different time signatures for the different parts

1 Like

@ttd we are planning on making a setting of quantize to the beat instead of the measure - but allowing 1/4 and 1/8 time signatures is a clever work around! This can probably be done faster than the setting. We’ll investigate this.

@booneroo this is very concerning. I didn’t see this happen on my unit. Just to confirm, the songs you made were with 2.11.1? what do you mean by 251 tracks?

@Bogii is there anything specific about how the Boomerang works that you would want to see implemented in the Aeros?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, David. 251 is irrelevant here but it’s the chord structure of the progression. I guess I included that because I name my tracks with the progression used.

Yes, the songs were created in the previous firmware update 2.11.1

Another bug I found today. When attempting to delete the active song a dialog box comes up saying it can’t be deleted but the file name is deleted… then when opening that song it hangs on “loading” and requires a reboot.

Thanks again… this is all really coming together nicely!

1 Like

Thank you for the info @booneroo – I can’t replicate this bug that you found about deleting the active song.

Just so I understand: the song is loaded in the loop studio, you go to the song list, try to delete the currently loaded song, get the warning dialog box, press ok, and then load the same song again by touching it in the song list or by pressing the open button?

Which file name is deleted? The name in the song list?

Does this happen every time you do this, or intermittently?

Need an option like other loopers to received midi clock and filter the start/stop/sop messages like the BX mode of the EHX95000?
I don’t understand why there’s no capabilities to desarmed this auto recording.
What about the midi out fonctionnality, the midi implementation and the SD card fonctionnality?

1 Like

I’m not able to replicate it now it seems. Will keep trying though. Yes, it was the active song that had the file name deleted and left blank.
I don’t recall if I tapped open or the file name line itself. It was during a session of deleting several files.

1 Like

@Thovy64 we have completed building the option to set what the Aeros does when it receives a MIDI Start command.

However the firmware is in beta due to a serious bug we are investigating. You can try out the new beta 2.13.1 firmware here.

SD Card functionality is coming very soon (most likely in the next update).

MIDI Out functionality should be completed in January.

4 Likes

I’m really proud of your work and feedback! Keep going!

1 Like

@DavidPackouz I can speak to the qualities of the Boomerang as a former owner of a Boomerang III. I also used a Looperlative LP1 (an 8 track rackmount looper) and LoopyHD ((multitrack app that I used directly on my pedalboard).

First, once you recorded your master track, all the other tracks will automatically align to it when playing in sync mode. If my master track was 10 seconds long and then I tap the second track button at any point during that 10 seconds, it would be cued to record only after the master track started again. The Aeros does not currently do this.

The same thing applied when switching song parts using any of the loopers I mentioned- if I would set my next part to record, it would only start recording once the master track had ended. When switching back-and-forth between the song parts, they would only switch once that song part had ended. The Aeros does not currently do this either.

The 6x6 mode does not appear to even have a next part/“stop current track and record or play next part” option.

2 Likes

@bryanrtyler thank you for your feedback. Yes, we will be building a setting to trigger record/change parts/stop at the end of the longest loop in the song part. We expect this to be completed in January.

Regarding this:

I’m not sure what you mean by this. If you select a new song part (press select part, left button), and then press the track action button (right button) then the current song part will stop playing and a new song part will start recording/playing. Did I misunderstand your issue?

I mean in one button press as is available in 2x2. Not that one button press is required, but more consistently between the modes is helpful. If you take a look at the post I made in the “perfect layout for live looping” thread this morning, you can see one of the layouts I would use with LoopyHD that works much better than the current layout. I would also use “stop current part and play next part” buttons when using my MIDI controller, but with only 4 buttons to use on the Aeros those aren’t high priority.

Hi,
I just got my Aeros. I would definitely like option 2, and possibly 5. This is the way I primarily use a looper, with the first track freeform, but subsequent tracks synced to multiples of the first track so that they do not drift. You can have an option of subsequent tracks start recording at the next loop seam after a button press, or start recording right when the button is pressed. Having to play to a preset tempo in order to get synchronization is too much work. Thank you for an exciting product. I look forward to the improvements.

1 Like

We’re currently testing #2 (synced tracks in freeform). option #5 (auto quantize) we’ll be working on next

1 Like