Aeros firmware 2.17.x

We will look into it

1 Like

hi there B, hey my aeros version is 2.1.3.2 and it says it is ā€œup to dateā€

Please read the top post in this thread for directions on downloading the beta, thank you!

so I downloaded the 2.17.3 , formatted the card, loaded it , inserted itā€¦still says ver 2.13.2

Turn the Aeros off and then on. If it still does not show the updated firmware, check and do the following:

• Make sure your card is no greater than 32Gb capacity; SDHC Class 10 card
  • Unlocked
  • Formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32); (new SD cards are properly formatted)ā€”Iā€™m guessing that you applied a format different than MS-DOS (FAT32)?
  • Download the firmware again
  • Change the file name to AEROS.BIN
  • Power off to the AEROS
  • Insert card
  • Power on to pedal
  • When update is complete, it should display UPDATE SUCCESSFUL and afford you the option to review the change log
1 Like

So, in freemode, the only way to record a new track while the Aeros is playing itā€™s gonna be on the release of the Record button? Thatā€™d be reeally uncomfortable for live performancesā€¦ :confused:

Iā€™ve been looping for awhile and I have pretty good timing, but the beta 2.17 in free mode the recording for the second part never lines up quite right. It looks like thereā€™s too much play in the forgiveness delay. What can I do to fix that?

Choosing the destination recording track is a must when going to a different paryt. I strongly suggested this quite a while ago to David. Indeed, to keep my bass, e.g., on the same track throughout the different parts, such a feature is necessary. Imagine trying to manage volume levels, muting an instrument, etc. in an overall song without this ability! Please consider this and add it to your development timeline ASAP :smile:

Only if in 2x2, as, again, both record buttons also have hold commands. The next track button on 6x6 automatically sets up recording on the following track, and it acts on the press, meaning it will work great for freeform recording in soundscape/ polyrhythm styles.

If youā€™re in 2x2 working in freeform, it is probably because the record button is on the release for both tracks, if you want to use a record function on the press you have the option of working in 6x6 and using the middle ā€œnext trackā€ button to set up your recordings. This button doesnā€™t have an assigned hold command, making the press function possible.

Weā€™ll look into it

1 Like

Thanks! I like using my Aeros instead of a traditional multitrack recorder, but to help achieve that, track logic - and choice - is a must. I look forward to hearing back from you on this point. Good luck with the next improvements!

I hope SS understands that having an action triggered on press in one mode and triggered on release in another mode is pretty inconsistent. Makes it hard to wire this action into muscle memory so it happens without thinking ā€¦ because now i need to think about which mode Iā€™m in. SImilar issue if ā€œrecordā€ and ā€œend recordā€ react differently. Please donā€™t fix this by making 2x2 operate on release!

This is the limitation of having multi function buttons with hold commands, since both buttons function as RPOs with hold functions (record/play/overdub/undo/redo) there isnā€™t anything we can do about 2x2, this was not a fix, this is part of the core functionality of the looper. We understand this is a downside for freeform mode, but with MIDI expandability (one of the next big updates), you will be able to trigger recordings/overdubs/ and all actions on the press (using a controller like the MIDI Maestro for example). For now, 6x6 mode will be the best bet for creating your following track on the press when using the Next Track command.

Yes, itā€™s a limitation of the overall interface design and a limitation of the implementation of hold commands in the context of other commands.

Timing of many button presses on a looper is critical. Having the timing change based upon mode especially for the same action (record) is ignoring a design trade-off.

This is solvable, especially if you challenge assumptions. Here are two ideas:

• Use the audio buffer to opportunistically handle the down action without committing to it until you go beyond the hold period (and look at how you handle denouncing).
  • Rethink the entire (software) design of the buttons and scroll wheel to make sure that extended actions (e.g., button hold) are compatible with the basic actions (button press). This might allow you to support more hands free commands on the same hardware without requiring extra hardware like the MM.

I know this is not easy and takes effort. Itā€™s reasonable to expect the basic functions to work consistently across modes especially when this impacts timing. Many will be stymied by this and never realize why (their or the Aerosā€™s) ā€œtiming is off sometimesā€. Basic and advanced functions can work well 100% hands free without extra hardware (MM), inconsistent behavior, or touch screen presses. This is the polish the Aeros deserves.

This reply/thread is getting long and likely to devolve into a flame fest. @DavidPackouz, @BrennanSingularSound, and @AnthonySostre, hope you take this the right way and donā€™t feel like thereā€™s no way to design your way out of the corner. This is solvable; you can fix this issue and make Aeros better across the board.

4 Likes

Hi there!
Is there any way now with this new update to have a track from part one keep playing in other parts ? How please.
I want my drums/percussions to stay weither in verse or chorus or bridge.
Thanks!

1 Like

MIDI gets my vote.

1 Like

Gotta agree, different behaviour in different modes for same function is not a good design decision.

1 Like

Hey there, this is something we hope to get to soon, weā€™re calling the feature ā€œLock Tracksā€. Thatā€™s one major update we are looking at doing soon.

1 Like

Thanks Brennan. Looking forward.

There are a few users with the 2.15 update that reported issues with saved songs being lost, and I found today that 3 of my previously recorded 2x2 songs saved to the Aeros no longer contain audio (they were reloaded successfully in past sessions).

I am wondering if this 2.17 update deals with this issue, since I didnā€™t see it listed explicitly. It was a loss of several hours of work and Iā€™m hesitant to redo them since Iā€™m not sure the issue is fixed.

All help appreciated

@DavidPackouz
This is not related to this firmware version in particular, but could please consider publishing a SHA512 of the file on the forum when you release any new version ?

Thank you in advance.

BTW this 2.17 firmware really rocks and is a game changer.