Aeros firmware 3.1.x

The most important feature is still missing. I am a live performer and it is critical to be able to get in and out of record mode as fast as possible.
It should be a simple fix: In record mode, tap the stop button (to stop the recording only, not the loop) to immediately cancel record mode and allow a new recording to begin right away.
This is a basic function that has been overlooked in an otherwise stellar product IMHO.

3 Likes

@RickTheStick we’re hoping to get that feature in the next 1 or 2 releases

Great, that will make the Aeros perfect. It’s so close as it stands now. It has so many advantages over every other looper out there…

2 Likes

Yes, we will add this with further MIDI implementation. But we don’t have a solid timeline for this yet.

2 Likes

The loops are now really smooth, no more audio pop ! Wow ! Thank you guys :slight_smile:
I can’t wait the next features (auto quantize, backing track importation, pan, fade out, locked tracks…)

2 Likes

Still didn’t perform any extensive tests, especially on UI and flows, but regarding my main concern which is how the sound is processed when pressing buttons, how loop seam is handled, this looks very good. I have not (yet) been able to defeat it !

This sounds like a major milestone and finally something that can become the foundation of all the crazy ideas exposed in this forum ! @DavidPackouz and all team: :drum: congrats ! :fireworks:

5 Likes

We can’t express how happy we are to read those words!

Thank you for all the feedback and for sticking with us through the rough!

3 Likes

Hi all

Thanks for providing this upgrade. After installing it I tested twice today, all in 6x6 free form. Unfortuntely, I stumbled across two behaviors never seen before.

Issue 1 (drop outs)

1. Recording a beat box rhythm on track 1 (2 bars). Then pressing play
  2. Recording a bass line on track 2 (4 bars). Then pressing play and … track 1 was “muted” for exactly 2 bars (=exactly one track 1 cycle) , then “unmuted” again. It looked like a dropout for exactly one cycle.

This occured not every time, however, I could reproduce it at least 10 times and it occured at different points of my song. So I left my house and came back to this in the evening.

Unfortunately, I could reproduce this and tried to collect some more details. Obviously, Aeros jumps temporarily into part 2 (part 2 indicator is on) even though I never touched the part switch button and song was reset before. And it comes back to part 1 automatically afterwards. I’ve video taped this.
It looked like “locked tracks” a bit :slight_smile: Have you already started implementing code for this?

While listening and analyzing again and again I felt that something was wrong with the quantization. So I ran some tests with unproper end points of the recording cycle and came to this conclusion:

Issue 2 (quantization)
(Same scenario, same song as above)

1. Recording a beat box rhythm on track 1. Then pressing play
  2. Recording a bass line on track 2. Then pressing play … obviously a bit too late (let’s say 100 ms)

Track 2 is played back with wrong timing for exactly one cycle. Seems like playback cycle 1 is delayed by these 100 ms. From the second cycle on it’s ok again (apparently as played while recording). Quantization seems not to work within the first cycle. I’ve never faced this with the previous release (or I was not aware at least). I’ve also video taped this.

Would you like me to upload the videos (high res mov). I’ve got one more for song and device setting. Where is the right place?

Please let me know if I’m doing something wrong.

As to #1, we are not able to reproduce your issue with the information you provided, you could upload those videos to google photos and create a shareable link, that tends to be the easiest.

In #2 I see what you mean, this is really a corner case issue, we can definitely fix this, but ideally users will adopt the behavior of pressing before the events. We understand for users that are used to “on the beat” pressing that the loop forgiveness is useful, but it really is just a trick to perfect imperfect timing. That being said we have all the intention of fixing it! Thank you for bringing this up, we will plan on including this in the dev schedule.

Thank you for your kind words @LaurentB and @Eidknab - we’ve been obsessing for quite a while over getting this version as perfect as we can, so it’s very gratifying to hear you like it.

@popa we will investigate these issues you have reported.

In the meantime, we have decided that since most testers have found no serious issues, to release version 3.1.10 as an official non-beta firmware for download over WIFI. I have edited the original post to reflect this.

3 Likes

Could you please share with us some insight on what you plan to be the new release cycle ? At least in terms of frequency ?

I’ve just sent a link via email to support@singularsound.com. Three videos as described above

• how it works properly
  • how issue 1 occurs (and 2 also in one take)
  • settings

Hope this helps. Happy to read your feedback on this.

@popa I never got the email. Can you try resending it please and include brennan@singularsound.com? Thanks.

Hi, have you got it?

Hi Brennan

This is the link to the videos as discribed in the aeros firmware 3.1.x post right now

• One how it works properly
  • One how issue 1 occurs
  • One with the settings

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

popa

Actually I realized I can watch them there w/out download, nevermind

It seems this is a specific use case problem that is arising because of the loop forgiveness when starting playback late, now that we know what causes this we can look into finding solutions, thank you very much for your help here. This is avoidable with presses before the playback threshold. Thank you for reporting this!

1 Like

We’re aiming for a new release every 2-4 weeks depending on the complexity of the features being worked on.

3 Likes

I’m on 3.1.3 according to my update screen. I’m connected to the internet but I’m not getting notification about 3.1.10. The Aeros says it’s connected and thinks it’s all up to date. I’m about 10’ from my enterprise class wifi access point. I’ve had the Aeros on for about half an hour. No big deal, I’ll do it manually.