Aeros MIDI Commands

hi
what is the midi command to clear recording as you can do when you keep pressing the stop switch on the aeros ? and what is the midi command to confirm yes to it ?
i would like to send that from my iPad
thanks

I use New 6x6 song command (you also can use New 2x2 song command), the result is the same since it loads the last used song settings.

• CC-34, value 0: Start new 2x2 song (same settings as previously loaded 2x2 song) and enter loop studio
  • CC-34, value 1: Start new 6x6 song (same settings as previously loaded 6x6 song) and enter loop studio

Odd, maybe you could use a toggle to make it so you hit the same button twice, not as great as a single tap but it is a workable option. This would be best in 2x2, like so:

We don’t yet have a MIDI delete command but plan to add a way to do this by MIDI eventually

2 Likes

So can I get some clarification on what you guys have accomplished and implemented thus far? There is a list of MIDI commands at the start of this thread. So those MIDI commands control the Maestro only, and could not control the Aeros in the absence of of Maestro unit?

I am like the above user in that I want to control the Aeros using my iPad . Currently I use Loopy HD and control it with a MIDI file that either runs in parallel with an mP3 drum backing track, or if I have a live drummer, in parallel with a tempo click track, freeing me up to focus on performing while record, play, stop, overdub functions of Loopy HD are run in the background. This works relatively well, but I have had some issues related to the various software components (some rare but frustrating crashes that result in lost audio and having to restart a song), so I would prefer to get back to more of a hardware based setup with Bandhelper running these midi commands to a pedal like the Aeros. I previously was doing this with the Infinity Looper and while the audio was more stable than my current setup, it had its own limitations.

Aeros would appear to be capable of what I want to do, but it all depends on where you guys are on the MIDI implementation. I don’t mind also purchasing the Maestro so I can have access to solid manual looping controls, as long as I could continue this generally bulletproof approach to looping that I have developed using MIDI files as a controller. Can you confirm this is possible and direct me to a current active list of MIDI commands that I can look over? This post seems to be a wish list and some “coming soon” info, so I am not sure whether you are far along enough that I can justify buying.

The latest Aeros midi commands are at the top of this thread: Aeros firmware 3.1.x

Thanks, but can anyone confirm that you would only be able to use a MIDI file to control Aeros IF you have the Maestro (what I am understanding is that the Maestro is what is actually MIDI controlled, not the Aeros itself)

The MIDI functions seem relatively basic and I would certainly prefer more live control command like overdub. How people use loopers varies so much from person to person…having a forum like this to distill commands is OK, but what if you just had a program interface to assign your own functions to CC’s? Loopy HD on iPad does that and allows me to use the things I need and skip things that do not apply to my uses. Just a thought.

Those midi commands can be sent to the Aeros from any controller, not just the Midi Maestro. I’ve sent commands to Aeros using Midi Designer Pro on iPad, and using the Nektar Pacer midi foot controller. Or maybe I’m not understanding?

Indeed! I’m using all of those Midi commands using a Korg NanoKontrol Studio through an iPad. (and can’t wait to have control over tracks volume and pan, since the nanokontrol has this “mixer-like” design)

Thank you all – just what I was going to say – yes all Aeros commands are outlined in that post and can be sent by any MIDI controller/device.

We hope to add to the current commands in a later update with more mapping capabilities, so stay tuned on that!

That being said, unless you have a means of outputting those MIDI files (which I imagine contain all you MIDI CC), The Aeros does not read MIDI files, only MIDI signals from a MIDI master device.

Let me know if you have more questions!

So my situation is using Bandhelper to play the midi files which run in parallel with an MP3 beat track. Have created so many of these I prefer this to starting over with a Beat buddy. Sounds like I am good to go with this, with or without the Maestro.

What do you mean by mapping capabilities? As in providing a broader pallette of commands and users can map them to CC’s themselves to create a more individualized system?

Yep, just send the MIDI into the Aeros through a MIDI cable and it should work, tell me is it also sending MIDI clock? If there is no MIDI clock or sync, this will not work so well.

Yes, that is what I meant!

You can see what CC commands are currently supported on the Aeros manual

+1 for
CC-42, value 1-6: Record new track (6x6) (value #)
and/or
CC-43, value 0: Select next track in current part
and/or
CC-44, value 1-6: Select track in current part (value #)

Why waste a precious CC to select next track in current part verus an explicit track number?
CC-41, value 0: Record next track ( this is currently implemented) value 1-6: Record/Overdub track (track # = value #)
CC-42, value 0: Select next track in current part, value 1-6: Select track in current part (track # = value #)

2 Likes

For the ultimate in hands free, add a move/select command that “tabs” though the UI and lets you click.

In addition to hands free interactive stuff, it also lets you automate just about any pages action … without needing cc’s for each parameter. (You know you’re going to run out…) For example, use a TBD CC to create a new song, and then use the below CC to make it quantized, change the time signature, etc.

Something like CC 43, value 0: click, value 1 = next left, value 2: next right, value 4: next left, value 4: increment setting, value 5: decrement setting

or

Something like CC 43, value 0: click, value 1 = next, value 2 = previous, value 4: increment setting, value 5: decrement setting, value 6: first , value 7: last

Increment/decrement would let you change the value of the a time signature or other setting.

1 Like

I’m not sure it would be wasting since currently they’re only using 10 midi cc’s.
Also, keeping the select part/track separate (if that’s even possible) would be ideal for me. I’m not always wanting to record or overdub, sometimes i want to mute/solo/adjust volume.

If i was tasked with saving CCs i’d go about it in a different way, albeit perhaps more cumbersome,
A CC for each track where each 0-127 value is used.
Example:
Track 1
CC-(42) value 1: record, value 2: overdub, value 3: mute…solo, undo, etc
select part/track: value 50-86, etc
So if i wanted to record on the third track of the third part i’d stack midi messages (CC-42 value: 57 + CC-42 value: 1).

This is all moot tho. What we’re talking about is using midi to do what 2 hard wired buttons are doing (select part, select track). It may be the case that the midi isn’t even ‘wired’ thru those functions. CC-36 does scroll/select however, so that leaves me hope.

I’m merely speculating on a hypothesis and however you slice it, i’m still requesting a select part/select track midi function lol.

2 Likes

The current MIDI CC disposition is working really smoothly for me, I think the only missing CCs are:

• Tracks Volume,
  • Lock/Unlock Track,
  • Panning (when the time comes)
  • Global Settings (able/unable rec sources, click volume, etc)

Also Midi cc for
Play can’t believe it has not been implemented

1 Like

+1 for the play CC, I still can’t loop handsfree without that command…

1 Like

I’m using Ableton as my DAW and would like to automate the levels on tracks in the 6 by 6 mode. You know, so I can fade in tracks without having to do it manually at the Aeros, hence freeing myself up to tweak my modular and so on. Or even, to convert CV to MIDI, to control levels from my Modular/Eurorack. Is this possible?