Approach Question

Visiting the BeatBuddy again and had an approach question . .

1. I grabbed the software and got the sd card from the BeatBuddy and I have made a backup to the macbook of the SD card contents. I did choose to sync . .but now I am wondering.
  2. I have been collecting pieces and songs from BB’s premium content, groove monkey, etc and I believe I have what I need to now begin putting things togther . My plan is to create each song in beat buddy software and either grab pieces from my “library” on the mac and bring in to the song I am working on and/or use the internal midi editor.
  3. I am unsure how to begin this . .I “think” I should just do a new project and start with each song placing in that project. The goal is to have a “project” that just has the songs I want to use in it . not a BeatBuddy full of a lot of drum sets and unused material. Having said that, I would be working on the macbook writing and testing each piece and song . . then ultimately put that on SD card for the BeatBuddy. Whatever I put on the SD card would also be resident on the macbook as a copy and/or to produce backup SD cards.
    Can anyone give advice on this approach? Would this be done in a project? Did I mess up telling the software to sync the existing project which was just to copy the BeatBuddy to computer for the content? On another note, ultimately I am after a non sub folder song listing on my own content on the beat buddy to easily send MIDI song selection commands to. Most resources I use people have a LOT of content on their machine in root and sub directories. I haven’t really seen anything like I am doing which is just the songlist and maybe vintage ludwig and standard pro drum sets . . without all of the extra and used content . .but to keep that on the mac if I want to grab a snippet or set. Hope this makes sense.
1 Like

My 2 cents -

You definitely could have a project with just what you want to use. The fact that you already synced another project is not significant. You can create a new project anytime you wish. You can delete unwanted drumkits and unwanted song folders from that project as you wish, but you will need to do this through Beat Buddy Manager to keep your data intact for Beat Buddy Manager.

If you are just using existing grooves to build songs, you can do that through Beat Buddy Manager. If you need to make VERY MINOR edits to the grooves, you can do that in the built-in midi editor. You have a Mac - there are ways to edit midi in Garageband, you just have to research how to get Garageband to import and export your midi.

You songs will need to be in a folder in Beat Buddy Manager. You can have up to 99 songs in a folder, and I am told there is a limit of 99 folders, but there is some contrary data on the 99 folder limitation.

So this part seems sound “My plan is to create each song in beat buddy software and either grab pieces from my “library” on the mac and bring in to the song I am working on and/or use the internal midi editor.”

And this all seems ok, too - “.I “think” I should just do a new project and start with each song placing in that project. The goal is to have a “project” that just has the songs I want to use in it . not a BeatBuddy full of a lot of drum sets and unused material. Having said that, I would be working on the macbook writing and testing each piece and song . . then ultimately put that on SD card for the BeatBuddy. Whatever I put on the SD card would also be resident on the macbook as a copy and/or to produce backup SD cards.”

But I would recommend building one song at a time, as you go.

If you are planning on using one of the songbook programs, like OnSong, or UnRealBook, to call up your songs, there are users here that can help with any road blocks you might encounter.

1 Like

thank you for the reply . . I was just kinda worried about blowing out drumsets and stuff on the BeatBuddy . .I am decently fluent with MIDI and various editors but not the BB Manager and what requirements were on an SD card. I guess a project contains the songs AND the drumsets? . . if this is correct, I think I got it.

correct. a project has the cards and the drumsets.

1 Like

thank you so much

Clearly I meant songs and drum kits.

1 Like