Autopilot Feature Logic Poll **Action Needed, Vote Now**

Yep totally agree with this, if it can be done.

1 Like

To be clear, repeating a fill over and over, a “vamp”, works fine, but a single measure is not necessarily going to be appropriate for a vamp. Plus, we are dealing with “autopilot” here. Thus, that’s my reasoning for preferring the full part. But, I’m sure there are applications for the single measure thing. It just feels out of place in the context of autopilot.

3 Likes

The benefit of #2 is that your timing (and attention) of the press does not need to be so precise … and you can decide well in advance.

I’m all for fire and forget type actions so I can focus on playing the song more.

1 Like

Not sure I agree with the premise that the song needs to have all the fills locked in with no way to spontaneously add them.

I’m sure that works if you are looking for verbatim playback. It may makes sense if you are trying to duplicate an exact recording. That’s starting to approach the level of a pre-recorded backing track.

Somewhat scary to have the meaning of the footswitches change based upon (autopilot) mode. Seems complicated and hard to remember.

I don’t see an easy solution other than using external footswitches/midi which is a cheat.

Tap for Fill and Tap Hold for repeat loop … and have a setting to choose repeat at EOM or EOL. Is there an issue making the repeat timing be an option?

But not the Intro?

Is there is some technical limitation as to why the unpause can’t be made to resume playing at the point when the pause was pressed? If left as stated, unpause is not unpause but should be renamed to start over :wink:
Boiled down to its essence, the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) and the BeatBuddy (BB) are MIDI players and MIDI players can do a temporary stop (pause) and then resume (unpause). This provides BB users the ability to pause a song during rehearsal and then resume without having to start the song (loop) from the beginning. Here’s a short video of MidiKit (a MIDI file player) with a stop (pause) and resume. For giggles and grins, I tossed in a screen shot of QuickTime Player’s controls that include FF and RW.
Pause and resume.mov.zip (993.0 KB)

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 7.51.15 AM

Rather than hear that it “can’t be done,” I’m proposing that Singular Sound figure out “how” it can be done. So as to make it less complicated, perhaps a true pause and resume could be made to only work on the main drum loops.

1 Like

I couldn’t vote – maybe I’m really late to the party? I don’t actually understand what AP is going to do? Is it the ability to add meta-commands? Like

• Play intro
  • Play Part 1 twice
  • Play fill 32, restart Part 1
  • Play part 1 twice
  • Play transition
  • Play part 2 4 times

and so on?

Try again. I inadvertently closed the poll after I voted.

1 Like

Done, thanks!

@BrennanSingularSound One question to #2:
Will the fill be played when I press the pedal and go on to the end of the loop and repeat? If it does like this, can I put in more than just one fill? Or is the fill automatically placed at the end of the loop?

Btw I clearly prefer the #2. I can‘t imagine what #1 could be used for while a performance.

Thx, Mark

Just my two cents, and I think its what you mean by #2, but I’d like it to replace the measure I’m in with a fill and continue the part. So if you hit the pedal at 5, then 5 fills, and measure 6 is the next measure. I do this all the time when sometimes its just nice to add a quick fill in a spot to add some emotion without restarting the whole part. This wouldn’t change the length of the entire song.

Why couldn’t this just be an option, like it is for various other existing functions? It’s split down the middle what makes most sense and depends on situation. For some songs now, I want fills to start at next beat or next measure, etc. and that’s an option BB gives me.

Seems like the questions should really be about the the statement before the question: “Fills should normally be pre-programmed, and so it would be unlikely you would need to play any fills manually other than to start a repetition.” Says who? I might want an option to forget about extending the song but giving me control over adding fills during a song.

2 Likes

I agree. Can I change my vote to this?

I would always rather have a setting for behavioural choices.

1 Like

I’d like to see the functions separated from their physical operations. Now that we have MM, and other control, we should have a list of all the commands we need to control whatever we want, and the ability to assign each of those to a midi command, or to a foot command. Maybe I never use single-press “Fill” and want to do a “Next Part” on a single press? Maybe I want external button 2 to always be “Play Outro and Stop”…

In this case, provide routines for each method, pick one for a default, and let us change it if we want.

1 Like

When is the new firmware coming out? Been talking about it “coming soon” forever now.

1 Like

I hope I’m not too late, but I too would like to be able to trigger fills manually while in Autopilot. And (I don’t believe this has been covered, but I’m hoping that in BBM where we’ll indicate how many
times a given part should play before moving on, that we might be able to indicate C (or whatever) for “continuous” rather than a fixed number - because (for example) I might want to have an intro keep looping while my singer is occupied, or extend the guitar solo, or keep an outro going. A long press would move us to the next part/section. This would essentially allow us to use Autopilot and traditional BB functionality EXACTLY where we want, rather than having to choose one or the other for a given song. The best of both worlds.

Forced to choose, I vote for #2. Playback in structured “chunks”, with timing always correct, is a MUST HAVE.

However, I strongly encourage making this a user-settable choice. Actually, a 3-way choice - a) as stored with the song, b) #1 always (global override) c) #2 always (global override).

Do It Now (next measure) is an understandable nice-to-have. I would use it from time-to-time.

It’s just software. Different users will have different uses, and the same user will have different uses at different times. Good design and implementation accommodates both uses!

3 Likes

Yes, this!!!

Also, make sure the midi control allows you to have all these options at once if you want to set it up that way.

1 Like

The title made the ‘Autopilot’ feature so imminent, and yet it was posted in 2020.

What happened? Is this still a thing? And if so, when can we expect it?

Hey there,

We were working on this at the time and it seemed imminent, but we ran into many issues present in the 1.x.x.x firmware that made us decide against moving forward on fixing it or adding any new features to it. We are focused on BBM 2 for now, work will continue and we do plan on an Autopilot feature.

Here is our latest response on this:

Thanks for the question

Because this poll has been closed and will not be edited any further, I will now close this thread.

Thank you all for your responses.