BASIC HELP NEEDED

Hi
I’m totally new to Midi and Beat Buddy so please make allowances if my questions don’t make much sense
This is my first attempt so I’m learning as I go

I have a midi file (not created by me) which sounds OK

I’ve tried to add this to Beat Buddy but have 2 problems

1. There is a Bass Drum and Bass guitar on different channels on 36 (C2). Can both sounds be played by Beat Buddy?
    On a version (not attached) I tried to move the drum to 30 (Gb1) but that didnt work at all well and changed the sound of the organ!
  2. On the Beat Buddy version the organ keeps disappearing. I dont know if the midi command isnt being recognised or the volume reducing to zero or something else.

Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi Glenn! Welcome to the Beat Buddy Rodeo!

The way the BB works is it plays a MIDI file (a “part”) through a MIDI instrument. In most cases, the instrument is a drumset, resulting in – you guessed it – drums. But there are a number of kits here on the site built out by users that also add bass notes to the kit so that your Beat Buddy can play bass at a rudimentary level as well.

Now, you have stumbled across the concept of channels within a MIDI file. Each channel is effectively a keyboard with a full set of (I believe) 88 notes. The things you have called channels (“36 (C2)”) are actually notes on a given channel. General MIDI (GM) files can have multiple channels to which different musical voices are assigned. As far as I can tell, the Beat Buddy only plays Channel 10, the channel reserved for drums. For example (and working from memory), Note 36 (C2) on Channel 10 is assigned to the main kick drum, 38 (D2) is the Snare, and so on. That brings up two things that answer your questions (I think):
[LIST=1]
[*]People who add other voices (usually bass) to Beat Buddy instruments add them to unused or seldom-used notes on Channel 10, which is why the Beat Buddy can play them. Each available sound is mapped to a note in the channel. They create MIDI instrument “drum kits” that include those notes, adding .wav files to the kit so the MIDI player has a sound to play when that note is triggered.

[*]You lose your organs sounds because the organ in the original file is not on Channel 10.
[/LIST]
Don’t know if that helps, as I am only halfway through my first coffee. But I will watch this thread, and I’m happy to help if you have questions.

DISCLAIMER: I’m a guitar player, not a keyboard player, so I’m always discovering new nuances to the way MIDI works. But I’ve been dabbling in MIDI since the '90s, and I (think I) understand the area you’re exploring pretty well.

Joe

A few corrections. Midi has 128 notes per channel, usually named as C-2 through G8, for midi notes 0 through 127. The midi file coming into the BB does not have to be on channel 10, but everything needs to be one one channel.

In practice, it’s best to find a drumkit that appears to have the sounds you will want, i.e bass, organ, horns etc. Then open that drumkit in the BB Manager drum kit editor by double clicking on the kit’s name in the Drum Kit list in BB Manager. you can then scroll through the kit, and make notes of what is mapped where. Drums usually follow the General Midi standard (Google it); Bass is mapped at either 0 through 31, or 63 through 91, again, generally depending upon who built the kit; keyboards and other instruments are mapped beginning at 60, 72 or 84, depending on the kit, and depending on how much of the GM drum kit was needed.

What you do with a found midi file, is first edit it down to the components you need. You are likely not going to be able to use every part in a found file, because you are limited to 128 sounds on one channel, where a midi song has a drum kit of up to 45 or so sounds, and then full instrument ranges on 15 other channels. However you slice that up, its more than 128. The drums are usually good as is, but if the kit in the song uses drums above midi 60 (C3), you may run into conflicts with other sounds in your BB kit. If the sounds above midi 60 are not critical, cut them. Also, if the kick is at 35, copy and paste the kick notes to 36.

Next keep the bass. Let’s assume you use one of my kits where the bass is at 0 through 31. Look at the existing bass track. Where is the lowest note? Select all the notes in the bass track, and move the bass down, so that the lowest note is between midi 0 and 11. This will usually be a 3 octave drop. Now, are any notes in the bass above midi 31? Is so, select those, and lower those note by one octave. That should get all of your bass between 0 and 31. Check the range of the track to be sure.

Next, let’s assume you just want piano, bass and drums, and you have found one or more instruments that you think would make a good piano track. Merge the tracks that you are going use for your piano track into one track. You may want to do some cutting first to get rid of duplication, and to get rid of notes that are very high or very low. Next, select all the notes in your piano track, and move them up a couple octaves so that the lowest note is between midi 60 and 71. If you can’t move it up that high because the part gets past 127, you need to move high parts down, low parts up, or cut parts. It’s an art. You have to use your ears and your musical knowledge. Once you get that part in the 60 to 127 range (and for this purpose I am assuming you are using something like the Big Bose with Bass kit), you will then merge your bass, drums and piano tracks into one track. Save that track as a midi file, and then import it into BB as a song part, with the Big Bose kit assigned to the song. Then you can audition the song, and be ready to go back and do some editing.

There are other tutorials on this process posted in the Forum.

:cool:
[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=4]Please provide the link ( s ) to these tutorials .[/SIZE]
EZ :
[SIZE=6]HR[/SIZE][/FONT]

http://forum.mybeatbuddy.com/index.php?threads/im-so-lost.8207/#post-36115

¡ :slight_smile: THANK YOU :slight_smile: !