BB Midi tempo sync with boss rc5

I am also an RC5 user. It would be great if Singular Sound could provide the BB firmware for RC5 users to issue CC87 at the end of the transition.Or is there a computer expert who can modify firmware?

@jasonbrianmerrill:
I use the BB as master, and it triggers the RC-5 rhythm (not the loop) after the BB intro. I also set the

You can also select BLANK as the RYTH type on RC-5.

I don’t use the RC-5 as master, I use count-in on the BB, rather than the INTRO. I kick on the loop separately… really requires precision, but works for me!

I find that when kicking in a recording loop on the RC-5, with the BB running, the looper can detect when the BB isn’t quite on beginning of measure (the 1), shown on the looper’s readout. Love that!

When the song changes cord progression (the solo, bridge, etc), I’ll stop the looper separately, let the BB run, then kick the looper back in to continue. Not always easy… guess I’ve embraced the “shoe gazing” culture too much.:wink:

What I also find cool as heck, many of the RC-5 Latin, Percussion and Conga beats are better than BB’s default ones. I’ll use those, at the same time I use BB’s Rock, Blues, etc. beats at a slightly lower volume. Then I’ll use BB’s fills, and BAM! (I havent bought BB’s Latin beats yet (sorry @BrennanSingularSound))

1 Like

@Nepali_brother:

The RHYTHM starts on the RC-5, not the loop. Both stop after the BB outro. Did I miss a setting?

I found, with the Boss MIDI cable connected to the RC-5, the tempo setting becomes irrelevant
with BB as master. Disconnect the MIDI IN to the RC-5, and you can see (and adjust) the tempo on the RC-5.

Hmmm, it changes the tempo of the RC-5 loop, not the pitch. Changing the tempo of a saved loop with the RC-5 setting wreaks havoc on the loop.

I keep a spreadsheet of all my songs so I can fix this, but I find that once I change tempo using the RC-5 control, it’s next to impossible to get it to work right.

Thanks so much for starting this discussion and sharing your experiences. I hope to further share mine.

@BobWilliam
That IS a lot of footwork! When it gets that complex, I just let the BB run(ish), while prioritizing the RC-5. My brain can’t process all that :weary:
Happy gigging!

@LakeLife

Different settings can result to different finding.
I never use Rhythm in RC5 so my experience was truly a combination of BB beat and RC5 loop once it is recorded and BB is always master in my setup.

the RC5 rhythm time signature (either muted or unmuted) should be set to match the same time signature as BB beat, this way the loop stays synced.

thanks for sharing your experience.

1 Like