BB Not Recognizing Tempo Change in Imported MIDI File

For a while now I’ve been creating MIDI drum tracks in REAPER and loading them into BeatBuddy, and ut works just fine… if the song is all at the same tempo. Just created a drum track using a “tempo envelope” so the song slows down in the last few measures. Exported to a MIDI file making sure to check the “Embed project tempo changes” box. When I re-load the exported MIDI back into REAPER, the tempo change is still there.

But, when I load the MIDI file in BB Manager, the drum “song” plays fine, but the tempo change doesn’t happen. The song ends at the same tempo as the rest of the song. Does BB not recognize tempo changes, or is there a setting that needs to be changed somewhere?

1 Like

BB does not respond to midi tempo changes. You can use midi time stretching to create a pseudo tempo change, but the BB visual metronome will continue to play at the preset tempo. I have posted tutorials on this, but sadly, the attachments to those tutorials were lost when Singular botched the move of the old Forum to this server. I’ll see if I have copies in pdf form, if you are interested.

1 Like

Thanks, Phil. Tutorial files would be great, but otherwise, what’s the concept behind MIDI time stretching? I assume it’s not the same as the tempo envelope I’d used.

I tried “s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g” the notes across from say 2 measures to 4 measures, which would be just spacing the notes out twice as far, but I’m looking for a gradual, not abrupt, tempo change, from about 83BPM to 55 and that’s really hard to do by manually moving notes.

The only way you’ll get this to work is by sending midi tempo messages from an external source to the BB :frowning: eg, an iOS device with an app that can do this, I think Setlist helper or similar may do it?? Or, really, any decent MIDI app that can transmit is ok too.

So what I do, is to do it in steps, and that’s what the ritardando tutorial shows.

Work through the tempo change tutorial first, then do the ritardando tutorial.

Tempo change tutorial.pdf (535.7 KB)

ritardando tut.pdf (541.1 KB)

1 Like

If you’re going from 83 to 55, across two measures, you are reducing 28 BPM. It you do 4 steps of 7 BPM per step, it will sound like a gradual change.

Thanks for the tutorials. I’d since looked up “MIDI time stretching” and found this video helpful… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdiY0poaijo

This method seems less complicated, but not as precise as the tutorials…
In REAPER, I split the last few MIDI measures in two. Then, clicking the split’s edge and holding the “Option” key, stretched each split section, each successive section a little longer. Took a few tries but it sounds reasonable, and the song ending now slows down when played in BB Manager!

Glad you found a system that worked for you. :grinning:

Can I use CC commands to change tempo and please can you sent me examples.I use Logic pro x for drum midi file without fixed tempo the tempo is variable to imitate natural drum. I edit midi file with Catalina OS on Mc Book Air and put in parts to BBManager but beat buddy change wrong original change times.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I’ve been busy with things not at all related to the Beat Buddy. I would have tried to answer your question sooner, but I’m not really clear with what your are trying to accomplish, so I’ll give you my best effort at a full rundown of the possibilities.

1. If you are just trying to have a song play at the tempo you want, i.e., one tempo all the way through, you do this by setting a default tempo for the song in BB Manager, and then making sure that the pedal has Default Tempo enabled. From the Manual:

• Default Tempo​ - When enabled, it will automatically load the saved tempo for each song. However, if you know the tempo of a song you want to play and are searching for the best beat, select ‘Disable’ so the tempo doesn’t change every time you change the song. ​Tip: To change the default tempo of a song to the current tempo, press and hold down the tempo knob.
o Enable*/Disable

This would work, if, for example, you record your Logic midi file in real time with your own, free-feeling variable tempo playing. You would create the midi file, not quantize it, and enter the default tempo in BB Manager to equal the tempo that was set in Logic when you recorded the song.

1. If you are trying to automate tempo changes within a song with midi CC commands, BB cannot do this. When the midi file is added to a song in BB Manager, and then saved, a BB sng file is created. This .sng file only recognizes midi note, note-on, note-off and velocity.

2. Beat Buddy can receive midi tempo change CC commands from an external source, like a midi maestro or other device capable of sending midi clock. But the command available is limited to increasing or decreasing existing tempo, rather than setting a new fixed tempo. From the manual:

• Control Change (CC) ​- Settings for the CC commands the BeatBuddy follows. CC commands can be numbered CC 0-127, each with a Value 0-127.

o Enable*/Disable ​- Toggle receiving all CC commands on/off

o Tempo (CC:80, CC:81, value 1-127)​ - When enabled, you can control the BeatBuddy’s tempo using CC:80 to increase the tempo and CC:81 to decrease the tempo. Example: When the BeatBuddy receives CC:80, Value 10 it changes the tempo to current tempo + 10 BPM. CC:81 decreases the tempo by the Value amount.

• Enable*/Disable

1. You can write a midi file to create one or more pseudo tempo changes within a song. I have explained this process in a tutorial.

I hope something in here helps you out.

Can I make exact tempo change multiply times from external midi capable program like stagetraxx 3 with commands CC 106:0 , CC107:60 result tempo will be 60 then 2 sec latter in song to 72 with commands CC 106:0 , CC107:72 result tempo 72. Why I am trying this is imitating natural drum not drum mashine.

From the external device, you can send as many changes as you want.

I bought Premium Library Collection 2023 for BBuddy there is one effect dir in collection can I or how I can use effects for drum set inside BBuddy. This is image of

dir with wav sounds and *.bcf files how can I use this.

I make tempo analysis of drum in Logic Pro x and I god this changes of tempo of natural drum so I make small midi files with tempo changes information and I put in BBuddy manager and make song drum parts. But Buddy make this changes in tempo which I can see on Buddy screen but tempo changes are wrong and not follow original tempo changes.
![Image Logic pro tempo changes|690x269]
(upload://adhT6miEwx9iDaxeEeh1QWxodjj.png)

How I can force Buddy to follow this beat tempo changes I tray too put CC 106 and 107 commands in external midi capable program but Buddy do not follow this CC commands but other CC commands for stop, play and other Buddy follows why is that? Is more simple to force BBuddy to follow external midi clock from maybe Logic Pro x application from MacAir pro through IconnectMIDI4+ pro device which I have but how I can do it and what must be set in BBuddy for that (I use MIDI Chan 1 IN for CC commands

“Effects” in this folder are, if I recall correctly, the .wav files that are used for Accent Hits within songs.

The files are not effects in the traditional sense, such as reverb, delay, distortion, etc. They things like cymbals crashes and finger snaps, etc.

You are over-complicating this process. BB will follow what is in the midi file. When you create a project in Logic, there is a project tempo. Set your project tempo at a number that approximates the tempo you will be playing at. If they are severe variation, just set it at a number, and then forget about it. But, set the tempo type as “KEEP”, rather than ADAPT or AUTO. Then record you midi drum file, playing as freely as you wish.

Export that drum track as a midi file, noting whatever project tempo you has set. In my example below, the project tempo is set to 120 BPM and to KEEP.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 3.09.48 PM

Then, bring that midi file into BBM Manager, setting it at the project tempo that was set in Logic. Just like here, the default tempo for the BB song is set at 120.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 3.11.40 PM

If you put that miid file into a BB song file that way, and you have the BB set to follow the song default tempo, the track will play as you recorded it. The visual metronome on the BB will not line up correctly flor every beat, since you played it free form and are not follow the beat clock. If you need something more precise than that. I suggest you ask you ask Singular Support for their guidance. The process I am showing is what I would use. You are trying to go outside of the norm, using a drum machine to not sound like a drum machine. Therefore, you cannot every every sort of drum machine-like feature to match what you are conceptualizing. You need to go outside of a conventional approach. That is why I use things like midi time stretching when I encounter these sorts if issues, If you want to try to feed the BB a separate midi track containing numerous tempo changes, you are, unfortunately, doing something that this pedal does not have an easy means to accomplish. Maybe @Singular Support has a better idea, but i do not.

Thanks Phil_Flood for your explanations on tempo changes.

I haven’t played with my BB for a while so forgive me if I have this wrong.

From memory, I thought it possible to assign a footswitch to be a tap tempo…???

If that is the case, surely it’s possible to speed up/ slowdown the BB midi file by simply tapping in a new tempo ???

Not really. The tap tempo is a available as a “when stopped” action. You can use it to set a tempo for a song that is about to play. Otherwise, tempo changes via mid require a series of commands from an external midi source.

There is not a BB Midi command for setting a tempo in a playing song via tap tempo. Nor is there a BB Midi command for setting a tempo via midi in a playing song to a numeric tempo value. The only midi command available is a relative tempo change, and it requires 2 values to be sent, a CC 80 or 81 command, and a numeric value from 1-127 indicating the BPM increase or decrease amount. When the song is not playing, there is a set of commands to set a numeric tempo value, again require a command chain with a CC and a value, not something that can be sent with a foot pedal tap.

1 Like