BB w/Bose T1 into Scarlett 6i6 then to MainStage

Very complicated set up here. My BB is routed into my Bose T1 mixer which is sent into a Scarlett 6i6 Audio interface then usb’d into my MacBook pro. I can get a great mix out of the Bose into speakers but when I try to record onto MainStage the BB tracks are almost nothings. I mainly use this to do demo recordings (i.e. for potential gigs). It has worked in the past. Have I made it too complicated? I’ve tried using all sorts of set ups between the BB and the Bose and have also plugged the BB into the Scarlett.

What is going into the T1? If you use the headphones out of the Scarlet, can you hear all of the tracks? My guess is that you have the T1 configured to only send certain tracks out to the Scarlett. Otherwse, it may be that you have individual track volumes set at 0 on the Scarlett, or muted, or muted in Mainstage. Sometimes rebooting the Mac and the Scarlett resets the audio drivers.

Hi Phil, thanks for getting back. I did all that but perhaps I’ll check on driver updates and just reinstall the Scarlett driver. It’s worth a try! Cheers!

Does this setup work with any other audio source? I mean if you replace BB with something else :thinking:

Do you take BB output from the L+R mono channels or the aux out (headphones)? Perhaps changing this part could make a difference :relieved:

Disclaimer… not familiar with the 6i6 or the Bose T1 and only going by what I’ve picked out of manuals.

Are you only using the 6i6 to send audio from the Bose T1 to the MacBook? It appears the Bose T1 has a USB port that could stream audio to a computer which I presume the Mainstage software could recognize and be able to record(?) Maybe the 6i6 is not needed?
“6. USB port – A USB interface that allows you to connect the T1 to your computer. This feature enables you to stream audio to/from your computer, update the T1, and back up performance scenes.”

If for some reason you do need the 6i6 to record, try plugging the BB directly into 6i6 to ensure the 6i6 can record the BB. Use one 1/4" TS cables to connect the BB L/(Mono) out to a combo input on the front of the 6i6 (Set the BB ‘Drum Output’ > ‘Mono’). Set the volume out on the BB so as to get the level indication on the 6i6 (green/red rings around the gain knobs) just below where the red ring flickers. If it can be verified the 6i6 is passing audio at OK levels to the recording software, then if that works connect the BB through the T1 mixer to the 6i6 and see if that gets good levels for recording.

I’m guessing in the setup you have been using the ‘Master Output’ of the T1 goes to a speaker and the ‘Aux Output’ is what you are sending to the 6i6(?) If connecting the ‘Aux Output’ of the T1 to the 6i6 either a single 1/4" TS or TRS type cable can be used. Do not try to use a 1/4" TRS to (2) 1/4" TS cable to attempt to create a stereo signal into the 6i6. The output of the T1 is a mono balanced output and attempting to make it stereo with a cable could cause a loss of audio signal due to phase cancellation in the 6i6 to the recorded audio.
If using the Aux Output of the T1, it evidently can be configured within the T1 where audio is taken from and may make a difference in EQ and levels for what comes out the Aux Output compared to the Master Output. From the T1 manual the output levels of the Master, Aux, and USB L/R can also be adjusted individually, so it’s possible to get good volume out the Master Out and little to nothing out of the Aux Out.
“4. Aux Output – User-definable analog output. Can be configured for a pre-fader, post-EQ, and effects, or postfader output. Accepts ¼” TRS balanced or TS unbalanced cables.
5. Master Output – User-definable analog output. Can be configured for a pre- or post-Master volume analog output. Accepts ¼" TRS balanced or TS unbalanced cables."

2 Likes

I think it’s a problem with my MacBook. I have another (don’t judge) and hooked it up and it worked. I may have to take the MB into the shop.

Before you do, try restarting your MB in Safe mode and see if that helps. Then restart it in normal mode. The reason you’ll want to try this is because sometimes the Mac may not recognize software configurations for USB, Thunderbolt or slot reader ports or connections. Restarting the Mac in Safe mode usually helps identify and restore proper functionality.