BBM and macOS 14.0

Are there any issues with BBM and macOS 14? I’ve noticed in the last couple of weeks that when I connect my BB’s SD card to update any new edits in BBM, “Synchronize Project” is greyed out and therefore I have to go to File > Export > Project to SD card, which works fine but takes a few minutes to copy over the whole project. As opposed to the normal “Synchronize Project” option which normally takes a couple of seconds.

This lack of synchronization has been a long standing issue for Mac BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) users.

Which version of the BBM have you been using?

You have a couple of choices: you can download and use the BB Loader or if you have Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner, you can initially clone your project outside of the BBM to your SD card. After that first time, future clonings will go at the speed of the usual BBM syncs.

BBM version: 1.6.4.1

Yes, I’ve been aware of the Mac/BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) sync issues for a few years. Because of that, I never shut BBM down—I always keep it open/running when I put the Mac to sleep. That way, when I connect my SD card, the sync happens in a few seconds. Now and then I have to shut down the Mac, ie: for an operating system update, and after that, when BBM is opened again, there’s that old sync issue—so initially I have to go File > Export > Project to SD card—takes several minutes, but after that the updating takes a few seconds via “Synchronize Project”.

But now, since updating to macOS 14, I’m having to go File > Export > Project to SD card almost every time. I say “almost” because there have been a couple of occasions when the project update behaved normally.

I installed and tried the BB Loader but it didn’t work for me. I’ll give it another go. I used to own Carbon Copy Cloner—maybe I’ll investigate that option too. But with the utmost respect to the Singular Sound developers (I truly love my BeatBuddy; I work every week with it), why have we had sync issues between BBM and Mac for 4 or 5 years?

Edit: I tried BB Loader again—it does not run for me at all.

Wow. I wish I had had that ability to synchronize but I update the macOS frequently as an Apple beta tester so it’s always being restarted.

Surprising to hear that synchronization continues to work albeit intermittently for you.

Sorry to hear that the BBLoader BeatBuddy Loader 1.1.2 isn’t working for you. I think BeatBuddy Loader 1.1.2 sort of worked under Ventura but I didn’t do extensive testing with it (frankly, the Loader’s functionality is too modest for my requirements).

You’ve probably kept Java up to date but if you haven’t, you might give that a try to see if that makes things better for the BBLoader.

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) has been updated several times with paid upgrades so that may not be the route you want to go. Since I use CCC for backing up my Mac, it’s available and continues to be a workaround for me.

I wish Singular Sound had devoted more time and effort to keeping the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) up to date. Maybe there’s hope yet to see a new BBM 2 that provides additional functionality while restoring the capabilities of those features that worked for Mac users.

The intermittent synchronization—it’s only been a couple of weeks so I don’t have a success rate. But MOST of the time, I’m now having to do File > Export > Project to SD card. Not the end of the world—just takes a little more time, as you know well. I just thought I’d mention it here—kinda hoping the devs might chip in with an “Ah yes. We’re aware and we’re on it!”. (ironic but sad emoji face goes here).

BB Loader—yeah, I don’t think this will work for me—even if I could get it to run (I’m not a developer or similar, so I don’t run Java). From what I saw in this forum, I don’t think BB Loader will fit my requirements. As you said, the modest functionality, from your experience, tells me a lot.

I totally agree with you about Singular Sound devoting more time to BeatBuddy Manager—that is disappointing to say the least. However, I know what I can and cannot do in BBM and I believe I use the application to get the maximum results I can from my BeatBuddy. I will keep my fingers firmly crossed that a BBM 2 is created. Devs!!!..are you reading this? :laughing:

So I guess, for now, with macOS 14, it is what it is, and I’ll just have to live with it. Like I said—not the end of the world! :slightly_smiling_face:

While I’m here, is there a “wish list” somewhere on this forum? I’m sure there’s a million requests there already right? My wish is quite simple (I think)—increase capacity of a “Drumset” from 200MB to 300? 400? My main kit is running at 199MB. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I don’t believe that there’s a single thread or document with a list of comprehensive list of user requirements. They are mostly spread across individual threads or posts. I’m pretty sure that SS has been tracking user expectations over the years.

As for expanding drum set size, I believe that’s more of a memory capacity limitation of the pedal which according to SS is limited to ~100Mb. If your main drum set is 199Mb, I’d be interested in giving that a try (if you’d care to share, you can provide a link in a DM :sunglasses:). I don’t think SS has mentioned a BB 2–just the BBM 2.

The encouraging news might be that SS (has hopefully reached a stage in the lifecycle of the AEROS & MAESTRO that) they recently announced on the forum that they will shift emphasis from the Loader to development of the BBM 2. I don’t have any insider information so this pretty much amounts to my opinion which you’d have to take with a grain of salt.

My mistake with the Drumset sizes. You’re right, the limit is 100MB; mine is ~99MB; I WISH it were 200MB. That’s what I should’ve written. Sorry.

My Drumset includes my own bass guitar samples. So MIDI notes 0 to 35 are my bass; 36 and above the drums in the conventional places. What I’d love to do would be to add a 2nd group of bass guitar samples (slap bass)—so I’d put them at maybe MIDI notes 90 to 125 for example. Hence I’d need an additional 40 or 50MB of space. But you think it’s a “BB pedal limitation”? Ah…that’s a shame if so.

Hi. Thanks for your response. I have tried all four of your suggestions to no avail. And as I mentioned previously, and Persist pointed it out too, I’ve been aware of problems with BBM on macOS for a few years. But it’s now gone to the next level with macOS 14 (I’m on 14.1 now; issue is the same).

Thanks for reporting the issue to the devs and I appreciate your apology about the inconvenience but it’s not really a huge headache—just means (almost) always having to go File > Export > Project to SD card.

I’ll sit tight and wait with eager anticipation! :grinning: