Beat Buddy Manager under WINE (Linux)

For those of you who have BBM running under WINE, which distribution (and what release) are you using?

Did you install WINE from the distro repo or did you install a PPA from WineHQ? Which version of WINE are you using?

Any extra details welcome.

Thanks!

I use it in Ubuntu, with the distro official packages.

I dont remember to make any special configuration.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply!

I tried my existing Ubuntu Studio installation (which may not be the latest version) and after installing WINE from the distro repo, the installer ran but told me that I was not running a supported version of windows.

I know Ubuntu Studio is a different animal, so I will try a regular Ubuntu installation and see what happens.

Thanks!

I am checking my configuration.

In the winecfg i have selected Windows 8 as my version to imitate.

I think that as all.

1 Like

Had tried installing BBM via wine over the past couple of months, no go and the not running a supported version of windows message. Upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS a couple of weeks ago, tried installing BBM again, no problem after the upgrade. Now I just need to buy the Beat Buddy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on 18.0.4.1.

I tried Ubuntu Studio 18.10 and was able to install BBM but BBM would not run regardless of which version of Windows I specified. This may have more to do with the Studio tweaks than 18.10 (though I have not tried installing a stock version of Ubuntu 18.10).

I pulled down Xubuntu 18.04.1(as I like the XFCE desktop) and iinstallled WINE from the softare repo. BBM installed with no problem. BBM ran with no problem. I did not tweak anything in WINE.

Now I just need to install Hydrogen, Jack control, and a low latency kernel. :grin:

Hello, I installed BB under wine on Mageia distro. I had the same problem, so I download the latest stable version of wine (3.0.4) on the website and no more problem.
https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

I’m french and I use Google Trans…

2 Likes

It’s good to see that others are running BB in Wine. I purchased it last fall and have been using the beats that come pre-loaded on the included memory card. I installed the software in wine (running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with wine installed from software manager). I have opened the BB manager but have been hesitant to use it but now that I know it’s working for others I will give it a try.

Note that I did install and open the program without a memory card just to see if it would open and it opened fine without any error messages. It appears that there should not be a problem once I get up the nerve to try it with the memory card. I’m not planning on creating custom made beats but would like to purchase and install more in order to have a larger selection to work with in my home studio. Thanks.

Here’s a couple of non-destructive methods you could use to test.

1. If you have a blank 4Gb SD card, you can try exporting your project from the BBM to the SD and accept the prompt to sync. You could then try the card in your pedal. If it works in your pedal you’re probably good to go.
  2. If you don’t have a blank card, you can lock the card that came with your pedal (this will avoid overwriting existing data on the card). Insert the card in your SD card slot reader and use the BBM to Open Project on your card and follow the prompt to save your project on your computer. If it does, it indicates that it will most likely work with your version of Linux. Just remember to use the BBM to open the project that you previously had open. Also remember to unlock your SD card.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Thank you. I didn’t recall posting this message and just posted a more detailed version of this question today so I must not have gotten notifications when this original post was answered, sorry about that.

I don’t have any issues purchasing another SD card for downloaded drum beats as I would want to keep them separate from the ones that came bundled with BB. You answered one of my questions, if I could create my own custom SD card and it appears that I can. Now I just need to find out where I can purchase new beats for download. Someplace I can listen to samples before deciding if such a thing exists. I just want to do what I’m good at, play guitar and bass and write songs with my only involvement in drums being going through my list and selecting one that will work.

I did some more research and found the Beatbuddy library where I can purchase more beats. I noted that there are several large collections that start at $209 and I can select the option of receiving them pre-loaded on a card. Unfortunately I can’t afford to spend $209 and there obviously isn’t going to be a seniors discount to put me in the ballpark. I do, however, see a $20 rock beats package and a mellow songwriters package that caught my eye but there is no mention of an option to get them pre-loaded on a memory card.

I sent an email to see if exceptions can be made for a fee to cover the card and mailing. I would be much more comfortable getting new beats pre-loaded so that I don’t have to mess with trying to do it on my Linux system. I have had issues formatting thumb drives in Linux for use in Windows systems not working properly so I hope they can help me out or I’m dead in the water if I can’t get beats loaded on a card for a more reasonable price.

Give a retired guy on a fixed income a break please. :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you tried installing the GParted package under your Linux distribution and using that to create a FAT-32 partition on a thumb drive? If the package is not available, I know that you can get a live CD of GParted (or at least you could at one time). Windows should be able to read the FAT-32 partition. Creating new partitions on the thumb drive will destroy the data on the drive, so make sure you don’t have anything on the thumb drive that you want to keep. GParted is free. Make sure you select the thumb drive and not any of your hard drives/SSDs or you will lose data. I have never tried to do that on a thumb drive but I have created a FAT-32 partition on a hard drive to transfer data between Linux and Windows installations running on the same computer.

I have GParted and have the option of formatting in FAT-32. Last night I spent some time watching part of one of the videos and while I have learned many software programs over the years I have no desire to learn the Beatbuddy Manager. I simply want to purchase a pre-loaded memory card but now the problem appears to be that prices for pre-loaded cards full of thousands of beats start at $209. I only want a couple dozen more beat options so one of the $20 packages would be more than I’ll ever use. Unfortunately it appears that the $20 packages are download only. I would gladly pay extra to have one or two of the $20 packages placed on a memory card and shipped to me but could not find that option for the $20 packages. Consequently, it appears that I only have three choices, make due with what I have, attempt to learn the software or pay more than 2/3 the price of the Beatbuddy pedal for a couple thousand beats when I only need a couple dozen.

I love the Beatbuddy, I wanted one for several years and am on a fixed retirement income so had to save and scratch and sell my other drum machine to get one. Unfortunately this whole thing about being forced to spend what amounts to almost the cost of a new pedal (the printer ink business model) appears to be the only way for me to expand my library of beats. I don’t know anyone locally who owns one and could do this for me so I am very disappointed with this scenario when I love the pedal so much and jumped through all the hoops to get one.

Could someone create an image of an SD card that you could then transfer to your card? Using a utility something like dd on Linux?

In fact would just zipping up the contents of an SD card, sending it to you and you unzip it onto your card, work?

If you asked me about working digital photos, layered graphics and 3d modeling in Linux I could probably answer this question but I’m pretty much a raw and clueless rookie on the BB files. Sure I know how to copy, paste, format, create a FAT-32 file system on a memory card and zip unzip files. The thing I don’t know is what kind of files I’ll be working with (ie WAV, MP3) in the Beatbuddy software or how the software works. Basically I’m reverting back to the fact that I was sold on the BB due to the simplicity of not having to program a drum machine. I am going to put this on hold while I watch the tutorials and see if I want to tackle it. Thanks again for the suggestions. I will be back to review them as I learn more about Beatbuddy.