Beat Buddy Power Supply Update

I just happen to have an issue with trolling. Back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

1 Like

I’m using a slot on my Strymon power supply. Works great.

Glad it has all worked out well for you… we are fortunate to have access to many different variations of power supply connectors out here to try. Of interest, I have also found that the Boss PSA adaptor with 500Ma or more 9v dc also works nicely with my BB. The strymon 18" accessory cable with an angled jack on one end also works well too. However the straight jack on the same cable does not offer a good connection as that jack is indeed longer.

I too experienced a similar problem with an intermittent power supply connection on my BB.

I deduced that the problem was the panel mounted socket on the BB, not the plug on the Power Pack.

I replaced the panel mount socket with one of these … https://www.jaycar.co.nz/2-1mm-bulkhead-male-dc-power-connector/p/PS0522 NOTE - Soldering is required.

IMPORTANT NOTE - there is a problem with this particular socket design. Because BB (and most Pedals) use centre negative /sleeve positive connections, when you insert the power plug the positive sleeve is shorted out to the BB chassis which is negative/ground. Thus shorting out the power supply resulting in No-Go. (and maybe a little smoke!)

My solution to this was to mount the socket so that it was insulated from the BB chassis. Insulating washers front and back, an oversize mount hole and some insulating sleeving to prevent the connector touching the chassis of the BB.

A better solution may be to use one of these …https://nz.element14.com/cliff-electronic-components/fc681473/connector-receptacle-dc-power/dp/2353931?st=2.1mm%20bulhead%20male As you can see the body of this type of socket is plastic and thus avoids the problem I describe above.

I’m now powering my BB from a TrueTone 1-Spot Pro CS7 (500mA output) with absolutely no problems.

Hi dokrok,

I see the answers above have addressed the issue, and thanks for sharing the workaround.

It certainly is the connector that is the issue. If you could get hold of an original adapter you would find they are beautifully engineered. The barrel nestles tightly into the device and requires a reasonable tug to come free - I suspect the intention was to handle live beer spillages by providing a splash proof fit.

As most gigging musicians will be using dedicated isolated power supplies (Voodoo, etc), Singular Sound should sell an adapter that fits the Beat Buddy on one end, and a standard 9v and 2.5mm on the other.

I also had the problem with the drop outs using the cables which came with my Strmon Ojai so am using the Beat Buddy power supply. This means it is an extra PSU to take.

To be fair to Singular the intention was to provide better than industry standard quality. See the headphone jack is a very rugged. It’s just a question around when to adopt a common eco system and in this case there is a universal standard being the “Boss” size.

Seems at the moment this particular cable is being provided neither by the OEM nor the after market and this does need to be rectified. It is reasonably likely that a PSU will fail due to expected wear and tear and given the relative cost of that part at say $10 USD but how crucial it is to the performance of the product, you should not be expected to buy a whole new beat buddy at $300 USD or improvise in some fashion that may still disconnect in a live performance situation or possibly void your warranty.

Cheers

Ben

1 Like

As a few others do, I use a One-Spot to power my BB with no issues.

1 Like

I need one too. Is there only one “One Spot?” power supply?? And where do you get it ??

Hey, Mr. P,
The power supply is actually called " Truetone 1 Spot Adapter" and I got it on Amazon. Just checked and the price today (12/09/19) is $18.85. I just ordered a second one as a backup.

Doc

2 Likes

FWIW, and this is not a direct answer to the question -

I have been gigging with the BB since the BB came out, including a lot of street performing (busking) which requires battery power. I have the BB, the BB pedal switch, and a TC Helicon Play Acoustic mounted on a plywood board approximately 20" x 10". Also on the board is a 12V 5AH battery and a 12v to 9V converter which is smaller than a book of batches. 12V powers the Helicon, 9v powers the BB. The battery is charged at home with a small 12V Auto trickle charger. The 5AH battery will run the setup for around 3 hours. I also have a larger capacity battery that will also fit on the board and will run for 5 hours.

I don’t “plug in” my gear when performing, even when performing at bars/parties, etc where AC power is available. It’s just easier not to have to mess with electrical cords. I normally use a Fishman Loudbox mini charge amp which is also battery powered. If I am playing at venues or event’s large enough to need more power than the Loudbox can provide, those venues always have their own sound system so I leave the amp at home. IF I had to play longer than 5 hours and elec power is available, I can plug in the 12V trickle charger which will provide constant power to both components.

2 Likes

Hi All,
My original adapter died having being in sleep mode and sufferineg 3 successive power outages.
Found this unit
Described as being compatible for the BeatBuddy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F3EUWDM/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A30ZWK69TIG5AK&psc=1

Fingers crossed.

Please let us know how it works with your pedal.

Will do.
It will be a few weeks before I get it.I am in Ireland and it is coming from the US.
MyVolts advised me to use the amazon.co.uk site for a Uk plug. But they only had one for the BB mini2…It could be the same .MyVolts also do one for the Aeros Looper if any is interested.

Several months ago, Support mentioned in a private message (PM) that the power supplies for all the pedals were interchangeable. Have not tried this so cannot verify that it is correct. Have no reason to doubt what he said, though.

Looking forward to reading what you find in a few weeks. Good luck!

I bought one of these in 2018 after my original BB power supply died

The one I received doesn’t look like the image in the listing, plus you can see that the adapter is a bit too long for the power jack

It does work though. I have just noticed that this is also a myvolts power supply - part no CC168MU.

Probably could have taken a better picture

1 Like

In my case every piece of gear from SS (BB, MM & Aeros) came with the exact same power supply. All of them are 9V, 500mA and all of them even have the same silver „BeatBuddy“ label at the end. There’s absolutely no difference. They should better have labeled it „SingularSound“ :rofl:

1 Like

The BeatBuddy’s power socket is not the standard size for pedals. It also seems to be very particular about which plugs it likes.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct. When searching for a replacement power supply (which Singular SHOULD sell) I found that the socket size was not standard. Almost ended up hard wiring a power supply to the board before I found the “Truetone 1 Spot Adapter”. Power supplies should be sold by
Singular.

1 Like

Hi,
The MyVolts PSU works fine. A good fit.
I went for the option that gives you an on/off switch that I find handy.(straight input)
The angled input is the standard op

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience with the new PSU.

could you put a link to the supply. I went to the MyVolts site and was unable to locate it. On off switch would be nice. thanks.