BeatBuddy and Boomerang Looper - How do they connect?

How do I connect my Boomerang Looper to the BeatBuddy? I’m told they work in sync (as far as BPM?) if they are connected by MIDI cable. I ordered the BeatBuddy Midi cable, but the ends do not seem compatible with the Boomerang Inputs.

Also, what would work better - having BeatBuddy as Slave or Master? Why?

Thanks All,
Matt

1 Like

Hi Matt,

You’ll need an additional midi cable with pins on both ends (male). I run my Boomerang as a slave to the Beatbuddy. So you’ll hook the output of the BB midi cable to the cable I mentioned previously to the midi input of the Boomerang. I think there is a setting on the BB for it so send the midi sync as master (I might be lying…I hooked this up a million years ago).

When you change a song on the BB, you’ll see the tempo light on the Boomerang change to reflect the BB tempo and both devices are in sync. As you create loops they will all quantized to the BB tempo. When you start or stop the BB the Boomerang will do the same if you have a loop running. It works very, very well.

Best,
-Rick

1 Like

Rick,

Great reply, thank you! Have you tried doing it opposite, with Boomerang as Master? I thought keeping BeatBuddy as Master would be best, but I’m seeing more and more people say they use Boomerang as the Master. I’m curious as to the pros and cons from someone with experience. I won’t have my MiDi extension until Wednesday, and my guitar will be in the shop.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

I honestly never tried running BB as the slave…I am not sure the benefit? Maybe I am missing something? With BB as master I do things like stop a loop (which allows the drums to continue), play a chorus live, restart the verse loop all while keeping the BB chugging along. Also, if the Boomerang is the master how does the tempo get sent to the BB? Do you have to set a tempo first on the Boomerang? Set a loop first? I guess I am not sure how this would work.

Here is a youtube video I posted a ways back on my setup (I now use a different bluetooth device to OnSong to control the BB which controls the Boomerang)

My Loop Setup

You’ll see the BB is driving everything.

1 Like

Rick, that makes sense to me. And great video! What kind of piano pedal is that, and do you recommend it still?

Thanks,
Matt

The piano pedal is a Electro-Harmonix Key 9. I still use it and like it. It is temperamental though. Meaning, you have to practice getting a light touch on it otherwise it could be too dynamic volume-wise…the sound could be too soft or too loud based on your playing style. It does sit pretty well in the mix if you layer lots of stuff when you loop. I wish it had midi so I could control it without bending over. I am lazy and try to minimize bending over and such when we are gigging.

With that said, adding a compressor might help level it all out…I don’t really have room on my pedal board for one so I have adjusted my playing style to keep things pretty even.

Very cool.

So my male to male midi cable cane in today, and I hooked it up, from the out cable of the BB, to the in-port of the Boomerang. When I started them up, nothing different happened. I checked my BB settings, everything looked good (MIDI Output type set to Midi-Out, Sync always on).

Am I supposed to do something else? Everything is upgraded on my BB. I think Boomerangs come with the lates version updated as well, since 2019.

Thanks for your help,
Matt

Shoot, Nevermind. I did not have the out cable plugged. I was testing the in cable because the midi connector was making for a tight fit and I didn’t want to ruin the Out receptor.

Thanks,
Matt

Glad it worked out!!!