BeatBuddy AutoPilot 2020?

I have been watching the development on Github.
I think that we all appreciate the contribution of all those that are trying to help.
But…there is very little activity happening.
Sometimes it is weeks before I see any updates.
Where is Singular Sound in all this?
They need to step up!

Yea, I do not find it easy to sing, play guitar and manage a foot petal. I guess some are using BB for live performances but I hardly get it to work in my basement! For pure jamming I bought the Positive Grid Spark which is great - “full band” or play along with your favorite songs online.

I’m really looking forward to this being released! Hopefully it will happen soon!

2 Likes

Okay, the more I think about it the more excited get about this feature! I wouldn’t use it on all songs but it would make performing specific songs so much better! The idea of not being planted to the BeatBuddy for a whole song would greatly improve my interaction with the crowd.

2 Likes

I’m waiting… I’m waiting!!, :smile:

2 Likes

Maybe in 2022

It would be nice to have a date preview from Singular Sound. In my job, I am always obliged to do work planning with a commitment to dates. Here everything seems more relaxed. Any job vacancies here?

2 Likes

After missing several promised delivery dates, they no longer offer dates for pending software and firmware releases.

:rofl: It’s well known that if you have fever you should break the thermometer :thermometer:

1 Like

That way, nobody will ever know your fever. Clever move by Singular Sound!

Or paraphrasing two of the three Wise Monkeys, “…hear no evil, speak no evil.”

It is also a well-known fact that just by repeatedly looking at the thermometer, your fever comes down!

@XBeat The project has been open-source for a while, so feel free to pitch in fixing the bugs, and we can all enjoy it bug-free sooner :wink:

1 Like

It’s been open sourced for a while, but it’s not clear that this is a winning strategy for this v1.0 type of release.

And if it is a good strategy, seasoned developers need to be able to build a prod version in less than an hour of downloading the code for the first time.

Agreed.

I think it’s absolutely excellent that BBM is open source, but it certainly doesn’t mean that Singular will get free developers. Open source is about scratching an itch, so in this case it would have to be (a) good enough to make us use it in the first place (b) have the lowest possible barrier to scratching the itch when we find it.

It takes time and effort to build an open source community, and if I’m honest singular don’t seem to have the full-on open source attitude you need to do that. Release early, release often; document file formats; tell us how stuff works internally. Most importantly: get a lead developer who is motivated to get user contributions integrated rather than getting users to implement the company vision.

Particularly worrying is that there is clearly development happening internally at singular. So there’s going to be one massive code drop at some point. That’s not conducive to external contributions.

5 Likes

Any update as to when autopilot will be implemented into a firmware update? Seriously, this is a great feature and would make many BB owners very happy.

2 Likes

Agreed! Is anyone working on it?

2 Likes

Autopilot will be a terrific feature for the beat buddy. When I am playing, my feet are busy enough with pedals. I just want to focus on my guitar playing and not have to think about when to tap the beat buddy to move on to the next part or add a fill.

It sounds like autopilot is basically implemented now, but several bugs have to be squashed. I would be willing to pay extra to have autopilot released soon, especially during this pandemic where I can no longer play with my drummer. If the main obstacle is the lack of a dev and if you set up a gofundme or kickstarter campaign to hire or pay one, I’d contribute $100.

2 Likes

Strangely, I absolutely do want to tap for the changes. I like the flexibility of being able to add an extra vamp cycle.

Often in live situations, some drunk comes and chats mid song. Sometimes I go wrong with timing. Having me able to cover it by being in control of when we go from A to B is a fantastic feature. The key thing is that it’s not just a one push song playing an unchangeable sequence. We wouldn’t even need autopilot for that.

My ideal then is that the pattern sequence is auto piloted, A B A C B A B B B B … But the transition is my choice. As I understand, this will be entirely possible with autopilot as planned.

(While I’m here Singular guys, can you add named parts rather than numbered? Parts 1-6 are much more understandable and rememberable when they appear on screen as intro, verse, prechorus, chorus, bridge, outro)

@jerome1 The bugs have been the issue, mainly because the original code is spaghetti. Fixing one thing can lead to issues in something else. That’s why it has been taking so long, unfortunately.

@kingofthejaffacakes Yes, the AP function will enable you to interact with the BB in a normal manner to extend or shorten sections at will. And yes, the part naming was also implemented. We have been using abbreviations when programming existing premium content to work with it.

We are all eagerly awaiting this feature.

6 Likes

Awesome. I’m infinitely patient when I know something is being done well. All of your take your time and pay off some technical debt. It’s always worth it in the long term.

Excited for what is to come.