Beatbuddy Battery Pack completed (almost)

Last night I was messing around with my Zoom R16 and got frustrated that everytime I went from my room with the piano to my room with the guitars that I would have to unplug and replugin the Beatbuddy (since the R16 is battery powered). So I began researching the portable pedal power solutions out there, mainly read about the Joyo and the Sanyo Juice pack. Instead of ordering those, I ordered a simple 9v battery holder with on/off switch and 2.1mm power connector for $3 on Amazon with same-day delivery, as well as some EBL 9v rechargeable batteries.

So this morning after charging the batteries up decided to try it out. I put the battery in the holder and plugged it into the beatbuddy… and… nothing. Turns out the holder was created for center positive, so I just flipped the battery and plugged it in again and the Beatbuddy turned on. I started up just a regular beat, I think the Blues 2 with volume at 60% and let it sit on my desk as I worked all day.[ATTACH=full]3109[/ATTACH] It lasted 3 hours and I started thinking why the hell isn’t this already in there. So I began researching what the inside of the Beatbuddy looked like and saw that there appeared to be a gap big enough for a 9v inside. So I ended my experiment with seeing how long the 9v would last and instead took the battery holder apart, just keeping the wires and on/off switch. Inside the beatbuddy is this space right next to where the power wires are soldered onto the board, so I then took the red/black wires from my battery holder and soldered them onto those same spots (except switched the red/black since the holder was center positive). [ATTACH=full]3111[/ATTACH]Then I attached the battery, and ran the wire for the switch so that it would stick out after I screwed the bottom back on (I know probably won’t last long but this was just an experiment and to see if it would work, I plan on drilling a hole in the back below the SD slot so that I can install a push power on/off switch that will be a little more sustainable).[ATTACH=full]3112[/ATTACH]
I then screwed the back on, sat in a moment of silence wondering if I had soldered the wires on well enough, and flipped the switch. The power came right on. I listened to it via headphones, and there was no hum. I attached it to my R16 and no hum. Turned volume all the way up and all good. I can’t speak to how long the battery will last, but just like some of my other guitar pedals - all I will need to do is unscrew the three screws on the bottom and throw another 9v battery in there. The EBL pack I bought came with 4 (EBL 6F22 9v Li-ion batteries 600 mAH).
[ATTACH=full]3113[/ATTACH]
So it worked. And from my experiment earlier today, know that it will last at least 3 hours if not more. And if I do need to plug it in, I still can.

Sorry if this has already been done and reported on before, but just had to write this up while it was still fresh.

[ATTACH=full]3109[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]3109[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3110[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]3111[/ATTACH]

2 Likes

Nice job good to know but I do prefer the plug. I go through enough batteries with my 5 yr olds toys.

Nice concept and execution.

Awesome work my friend. I’ll be doing the same to mine. Thank you.

That EBL battery the orig poster is using is a rechargeable.
Best rechargeable batteries I have found are Eneloop (used to be Sanyo, Panasonic now I think) although they only seem to do AA and AAA sizes. I use two sets (8 per set) that I swap between my keytar. I get around 4 hours playing per set. With up to 1500 recharge cycles they are well worth the initial investment.

Great investigation. I’ll be doing similar. My keyboard setup including my Bose amp I am only tethered by the BeatBuddy.

Thank you

These are handy

2 Likes

Did you see my recent thread?