BeatBuddy (BB) footswitch settings: an easier workaround to keep them current on the pedal

Since posting this workaround Can't Sync to SD Card several years ago, I’ve come up with a slightly more efficient workaround that Mac users can try until the New and Improved BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) is released.

• while using the pedal, update the foot switch settings
  • remove the SD card from the pedal and insert it in your computer SD card slot reader
  • from the SD card, copy the PARAMS folder to your current project folder within your bbworkspace e.g., here’s what my project folder now looks like
    Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.21.26 PM
  • whenever you export your project from your Mac’s BBM to the SD card, the PARAMS folder will automatically be a part of the export

Since I tend to use a single project folder for several months (until I reach the BBM imposed limit of 99 songs per folder) for transcribing songs, this cuts down on at least one step when I need to export my project to my SD card.

If and when I create a new project, all I have to do is copy the PARAMS folder (assuming it’s still up-to-date) to the newly created project folder.

2 Likes

Footsw.ini is not copied over to the sdcard on export. Not sure if there another location the BBM looks for this file?

@persist I tried this many times. The file is not copied. Yet it works for you?

Hmm—you’re right. It’s been working just fine for me but sure 'nuff, as soon as I tested it again just now, the FOOTSW.INI file gets deleted from the SD card. I tested it before I created the thread yesterday. :thinking:

If the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) sync were to function properly, this would not be as much of an issue but even if and when the sync issue does get fixed, I can see the value of NOT deleting the FOOTSW.INI file during the export process. I logged into GitHub and proposed an enhancement:

"When synchronizing a project, the foot switch (FOOTSW.INI file) settings are saved bi-directionally from the SD card to the project folder.

However, when exporting a project to the SD card, the FOOTSW.INI file is deleted from the SD card PARAMS folder—the TEMP.INI and info.bcf files are not deleted. This behavior requires users to have to reset their settings from scratch on the pedal—a real annoyance.

The enhancement proposal is for the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) to also export the FOOTSW.INI file (if it exists) to the SD card (PARAMS folder). I recommend this enhancement because even though fixing the synchronization issue on Macs should fix the sync bug, this would be a practical enhancement to the export process for Macs as well as PCs. Where and when would this be used? One example might be when users are exporting their project to a backup SD card…

If this can be done, it would greatly improve the user experience and reduce frustration.

The testing process should include making sure that the pedal reads the exported FOOTSW.INI. Why? I’ve noticed that sometimes the pedal settings might require that the foot switch detection process be run before the settings are recognized."

Apologies to those that tried this process

Thanks for bringing this to my attention—I will lock the thread as soon as I send this.