BeatBuddy Firmware 3.9.x "MIDI Optimizations and Bug Exterminations"

I hope I’m posting this in the correct place, but I believe I have encountered a bug in the latest firmware (V3.9.0). I currently utilize Bandlab’s Cakewalk and have for some time with no issues. After the firmware update, any program changes to the BeatBuddy, specifically program bank and patch changes, were no longer being recognized by BeatBuddy. I tried several ways to send the program and bank and patch changes (CC 0 & 32 & PC) to no avail. Other CC’s such as drum fills, transitions, etc. were being accepted and the BeatBuddy worked as expected. The BeatBuddy also recognized and played any note commands being sent to it. I made no changes to the settings on either my DAW or the BeatBuddy. I reverted back to firmware V3.8.0, and everything worked as before. Again, I made no changes to the settings of either the BeatBuddy or my DAW. I checked all the MIDI cables and interfaces, and there is no issue with any of them, demonstrated by the fact that after reverting back to the previous firmware that everything worked as expected.

My current MIDI settings on the BeatBuddy are the following:
MIDI IN
System Real Time

Sync - enabled
Start - enabled
Stop - enabled
MIDI Channel - 10
Note On - enabled
Note Off - ignored
CC Change - enabled (all other settings under this are enabled)
MIDI OUT
Output type - MIDI OUT
Channel - 10
Sync - Always on
Start - Intro
Stop - Pause and End
Notes - enabled
Next Part - enabled
Time Signature - disabled (changes this to enabled had no effect to resolve this problem)

I’m running everything under Windows 10 Pro. Hope I’ve included everything you might need. I’ll be using V3.8.0 until I hear any different. Great product, by the way, been using it since it first came out and haven’t experienced any issue until now. Another thing I just thought of that changed with the update - on my MIDI interface, the LED’s that show for IN and OUT changed. With previous versions, the IN and OUT lights were on every time the BeatBuddy was active and synced. With the new update, the IN light was not on unless note commands were being sent.

1 Like

Correct!

Jay may have given him a alpha version

Fixed in currently tested version

Hey I’m going to pm you

That corrected my issue. Thanks, really appreciate it!

1 Like

I posted the same message in the 3.8.0 thread - sorry - it belongs to this thread …

@BrennanSingularSound & @BeatBuddy_Support
I only now had the chance to update from 3.8.0. to 3.9.0 - and have major synchronisation issues with my BeatBuddy - I’m using the BB with my MM (latest firmware 1.1.5) … the MM talks to the BB fine, bur I’m using the BB pedal to activate (Cue Fill period = next beat) … whenever I press the pedal a beat or within a beat before the next bar or on the start of next bar it jumps back (I hear a quick double hit) throwing the sync to my Boomerang III looper out of snyc - I use the BB/Rang III combo successful for the last 4+ years … I will downgrade to 3.8.0 (which worked fine without the described issues) to see if 3.9.0. is the issue or something more sinister … also – after pressing “Outro” it “chokes” the final crash (cymbal/bass drum hit) after the Outro bar …

Update: reverting back to 3.8.0 - all is fine as before … hmmm … definitively urgent attention needed I’m afraid …

Cheers,
Wolf

MOD UPDATE: Deleted the post to the 3.8.0 thread.

I updated to 3.90. Now if I hit the main pedal for a transition even if the song doesn’t have a transition part set up, the song will try to switch to a transition and hang there until you hit the main pedal again. I use a FCB1010 midi controller and have a button programed for a transition. It will just hang there and I can’t do anything else unless I pause the song or hit the outro. It works fine if there is another part to transition to. The button is set up to send 113-127 on press and 113-0 on release. I downgraded back to 3.80.

Apparently, there is some secret fix that support is providing to folks who contact them, but, their official response to the issue has been the sound of crickets. They COULD acknowledge the problem and recommend users not switch firmware until they fix it. But, I guess losing face is worse than pissing off customers or having musicians screw up performances.

3 Likes

@Phil_Flood There is no secret fix. I do need people to contact me directly so I can make a log of the bugs/issues that each firmware version presents though.

We generally test it out on our end first before putting it on the forum, just in case worse bugs appear.

The solution I have been providing has been to give the most updated revision of the firmware, currently 3.9.3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xiov2mom4qlta9e/HW2xx_FIRM-3.9.3%20(1).zip?dl=0

I updated the link on the original post to be 3.9.3 as well with a note next to it that it is 3.9.3.

@TheWolf2103 Try version 3.9.3. If the issues continue, please email me directly (support@singularsound.com). Thank you.

3 Likes

Firmware 3.9 also screws up the timing to the Aeros which goes out of sync when changing parts. Gone back to 3.8

Thank you for this. This, in my view, is how the update to 3.9.3 should have been handled, but without me needing to prod you.

3 Likes

Hi @BeatBuddy_Support,

Installed 3.9.3 - sadly, no change to 3.9.0, i. e. same issue as described in my previous post - when I press the main pedal button to trigger a fill just before the next bar (I use a Cue Fill option of next half beat or next beat) the BeatBuddy jumps immediately with a annoying double hit back to the start of the bar without fully completing the bar and throws my Boomerang III looper out of sync - I recorded a small video of the issue which hopefully demonstrates the issue.

Back to 3.8.0 & all is working fine …

Edit: Can’t seem to be able to upload the video:(

2 Likes

Guess I will revert back to 3.8.0 and wait for the fix

We occasionally will ask users to test out their particular issue in the case we aren’t sure we are replicating it perfectly or they have a specific setup. We had not yet tested 3.9.3 to the extent we like to before posting it.

We apologize that you feel you have to prod us, but at least we’re reacting when you do :slight_smile:

I saw your issue now, passing along to Dev, thank you, this is likely the last little bug before we can call it ready! We appreciate your contributions!

I’ll PM you

1 Like

Hi.
Thank you for all the improvements on the latest 3.9.3 firmware.

I don’t know if this is a 3.9.3 bug or a change in this firmware -not a fan, should this be the case:

I have (or had) my external switch configured as (B1) Pause/Unpause and (B2) Outro/Stop. The latter allowed me to Stop the Beatbuddy after being Paused, without playing the Outro. Now, the Outro/Stop button (B2) does nothing after the BB is Paused. It does play the Outro if pressed while the BB is playing.

I’ve tried changing the Pause/Unpause settings but the result is the same.
I prefer the previous capability so I’m reinstalling 3.8.0 for now.

Cheers.

Interesting corner case! Thank you we will patch this up

1 Like

Hey! Did you try 3.9.3 and it still had this issue?

Actually that doesn’t make any sense, if what you’re saying is that you are sending CC0 value 0 CC32 value 9 and PC 4, that would be the 10th folder 5th song in the folder. Are you sure 3.2 isn’t the one with the bug?

MIDI numbering starts at 0 - ergo folder 1 is actually selected by 0 - song 1 also 0,

I just put the new firmware on the BeatBuddy. I was interested in the new stereo/mono feature.
Now I found out the following: Song is paused, to stop it I hold the mainswitch. The song doesn’t stop.
The BeatBuddy plays on for a Measure or so. and then it stops.
This is not good for live-performance …
Greetings
Tom

Hey there,

Did you make sure the pedal is set to Release not to Press?

I installed the new firmware. Thanks for your work! I hate to ask so soon after the update but would you consider this?

Could you add an option to ‘Do Nothing’ under the Main Pedal > Main Pedal Unpause > Tap menu so that Hold’s option to ‘Stop Song’ works silently for users who set their BB pedals to start a song on ‘Press’ rather than ‘Release’? Right now, it can’t do that without playing a beat before finally stopping.

I set my BB to play on ‘Press’ because it’s easier to sync up with stuff that’s already running. It works well like that and I’m glad that option is there. But, if I pause a song and try to end it by holding the Main Pedal, BB plays for a beat, and then it stops. I understand why this happens, but it makes it so I cannot silently end a paused song because my BB is set to play/start on ‘pedal press’ instead of ‘pedal release’.

Does this make sense, and would it be possible to do? Thanks again.