Beatbuddy Manager Frustration!

Thanks Mark and Persist!

The Premium Library Complete does ship on its own SD card, but it is a .pbf that replaces your project. So, Persist’s guidance regarding creating a new project is entirely correct. However, after purchasing the Library, Singular does make regular updates and they do provide access to Library in a folder by folder format, such that you can just install the individual folders you want. This was a recent, very welcome change, in the last month or so.

Okay. I’ve bought two of the 32 GB cards referenced above and would like to make a backup of my current card. Can I just plug the new card in my usb card holder in my Mac and synchronize it with the BB manager? Or do I have to do some formatting on the card? I’ve done a search for this and Persist talks about disk images (never make one before). I’m a little nervous about this and a little confused.
Thanks
Frank

You won’t be able to synch, because the cards have don’t have anything them yet to synch. You’ll need to export first, and then you can use Synch to keep everything, well, synched.

Also, note that, when you export, any customization you may have done to the pedals will be lost. You’ll need to plug the card into your pedal and reset those custom settings. You won’t have to do that with Synch after that, because Synch doesn’t (appear to) affect pedal settings.

• No need to format new SD cards as they are ready to go
  • Don’t worry about disk images either
  • The process as JoeInOttawa says
  • Use the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) File > Export > Project to SD card and navigate to your SD card
  • Follow the prompts to Synchronize
  • You will also have to install the firmware to your card

Thanks Joe. This seems easy enough and thanks for the tip on the pedal settings. I will post later to let you know how I made out.

Well, thank you people! Followed instructions and made a backup SD card successfully. Now i can buy the everything pack and feel confident. BTW Joe I did have to reset all my settings on the pedal. No big deal. Took two minutes.

Glad it worked out!

:worried: When is Beatbuddy Manager going to be updated for Windows?

2 Likes

As a duo we’d be pretty much gazumped by any other band without the BeatBuddy. I always mod the drum beats and have added synth sounds etc to addtional drum kits, but then, we play mainly original songs so we’re definitely not trying to sound like someone else’s originals.

1 Like

Funny (or not) ive gone back to using my Alesis SR16.

it may be old tech, but its reliable, dont make mistakes unless you tell it to.

and it sounds awsome!

i to have been waiting for updates and up grades…things from SS just come so slowly.

im not going to toss my BB

but like so many others…we were promised…and yet we wait

3 Likes

Totally agree. Way too slow to bring BB into 2019.
Not sure why it is taking soooo long.
They keep promising updates. Jan, Feb, May… 2020

What do you guys actually want? My duo plays 50+ shows a year with a repertoire of more than 90 songs, we use custom patterns and custom drum kits, and, lately, I’ve been taking advantage of my Beat Buddy’s MIDI to run the lights. And it’s all programmed through the BBM.

Is there more we need from a drum machine control program?

I recognize it’s a bit arcane, sure, but what would you do to make it that much better
I’m not asking to be snarky; I genuinely am curious as to what else you could want from this thing.

1 Like

What???

How quickly we forget. Must be a legalization effect.

hahahaha!!!

• Speed in using it. When it gets to lots of songs, BBM is kind of slow
  • Proper MIDI editing
  • Song-ID so QuantiLoop won’t depend on folder structure :smiley:
  • Export Song-ID database so maybe QL or other 3rd parties can import it. That would be awesome.
  • Search on local database. Sometimes I install songs that I already have…
  • Search/Buy/Update on Premium Library inside BBM
  • Duplicate songs function - like in copy/paste. Useful if you try to adapt something.
  • Fix export / import bugs.
  • Possibility to rearrange tracks inside a song (for example move intro to main, main to outro and so on). Maybe the possibility to copy intro from one song and paste it into another. I kinda hate intro OPB. I’d rather have them on main. But that’s just me and I’d like to be able to do that in BBM. Right now I’d have to export midi / reimport it in the proper place. But that method is … broken, at least on my computer it is.
  • Possibility to rearrange drumsets order…
  • Make it easier to rearrange folders / songs within folders / songs outside folders… whatever combo you may think.

Mostly, for me is Song ID and Search on local DB. This way I’d be motivated to clean up the mess, but right now, to move a folder / song means that I mess bigtime with QL and I don’t want that.

1 Like

Some of these I’m not sure offer much value for effort, and some of them already exist to some extent, but I see what you’re getting at.

Okay, you’ve convinced me: On the whole, I agree more or less.

Thank you. I thought I was alone in my frustration.
Don’t get me wrong BB is a great and innovative machine that just needs some software to make it current.
Beat Buddy Manager could be so much better and easier to use.
Also…since I can do wireless midi to BB then why shouldn’t we be able to do song updates without the SD card?
And maybe this is too much to ask (or not) but why isn’t BB Manager available on Apple and Android devices?
I have been asking for a long time.
I guess I shouldn’t worry about it.

2 Likes

The BB is what it is. A drum machine.
I had an Alesis something or other before. It was almost ok.
I have made some beats on Garage Band. You were stuck with what was there, ie. you couldn’t repeat a verse/chorus if people were dancing for instance.
I have had my BB for several weeks and began to gig with it almost immediately. It is a little spendy, but I believe it is worth it. Mine has paid for itself already. We do have a drummer, but he is a very good guitar and bass player too. He really likes the BB because he gets out from behind the drums.

2 Likes

Hi Joe!
We started writing a reply but you said everything we wanted to say, again!

We didn’t have a full-time durmmer when the BB came out:
Had it a week and played out with it the second weekend we had it.
No more durmmer to feed for 3 YEARS OF GIGS! Whoo-hoo!