BeatBuddy Manager Goes Open Source: What this Means for Users, Our Development Priorities, and How You Can Get Involved

The Mac not syncing bug was fixed in one of their unreleased betas. That’s probably why you don’t see it listed.

1 Like

In the historic logs I see it as a resolved issue, we’ve not come across the issue during the current development effort.

1 Like

For developers and testers, it might be good to add a “backup archive” feature to the BBM that saves a copy (to your local storage) of the data on the device/sd card before any operation that writes to it. Or perhaps this is on demand via the UI. Each backup would be in it’s own folder so you could go back to a specific version.

This would address a common concern of would be open source developers, how do I use an untested, unreleased version of the BBM (perhaps with my own mods) and not worry that I’m going to lose my precious setup and data?

No need to have any restore capability (we can do that manually if we know where to look for the folder). Nice to have some limit to the number of backups or a cleanup feature.

1 Like

For the time being, is 1.65 still the “best” version to use? Any timeline goal set for a BETA release? (I know it’ll take time, I’m just anxious like everyone else.)

Awesome !!! :+1: :champagne:

I don’t have a BB (just an Aeros) but this is a great initiative, as I see you’re using Qt, I’m eager to see if a native Linux port will come up soon ! I will obviously try to build but anyway won’t be able to test it.

But very cool ! You guys rock !

I succeeded in building and running BBManagerLean on Ubuntu 18.04.

Unfortunately I do not have a BB, so I can not really go any further, but if anyone is interested I just had to install some dependencies, tweak just a little bit the build and patch only one file…

My C++ is clearly rusty :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , but the sole fact that despite that I have been able to successfully build and run it shows that the code is well done and organized. Congrats :+1: well done guys

6 Likes

I would be very interested, it’d be great to put up the instructions on how to achieve this. Consider documenting the process and opening a PR

Nice one.

I was trying to set up to build on windows but getting errors in the standard library header files using MSVC. I’ll keep trying!

@iajrz @julissadantes

This is the Pull Request to add Ubuntu as build target.

Again I do not have a BB, so apart from running the application and opening few dialog boxes, I didn’t go any further… Spoiler I’m no C++ developer.

Please provide feedback on the usefulness.

1 Like

This is super cool, I’m a new user an happy to get fast updates and fixes to issues. I noticed that there is not a “built” version of the software which for no-technical users might be a massive turn-off. Can I ask that when a new ‘master’ is added a corresponding installation package is created?
Also would it be worth updating “BeatBuddy Manager Software 1.64 (Win/Mac)” to give info of where to find the latest and greatest?

Hello :wink:

Good news here! I applaud the move to make BBM open source, and better yet “support assisted” open source (not just over-the-transom open source).

Welcome to Julissa as well!

I’m sure some good things will come of this all in time.

2 Likes

my requests for development priorities are:

1. every time i export a project to my sd card, i lose my BB settings. i would like these to be preserved
  2. better midi editor, or at least, instructions on how to use a different editor
1 Like

I Would also like to have any settings, tempo BPM changes that i make on the beatbuddy to be saved on the SD card in the BB, in other words, when I’m playing and i speed up or slow down a song, have that change saved on the SD Card and the when i sync the card it will keep those settings.

Now i have to remember or write down any BPM Changes and go to the manager and install them and then sync the SD card again.

I don’t know if the beatbuddy can be made to do this, but it would be great if it could!!

1 Like

Great news. How can we make proposal…

I wonder if a good way to think of this is to create a copy of the song with the current settings? That way i can change the name … and keep the original pristine. Not sure that’s worth it.

Would this require a change to the BB manager as it probably doesn’t expect any changes to the songs on the SD card?

1 Like

I miss copying/pasting an existing song the most.

I would also be nice to be able to work normally with the BB while been connected by USB.

2 Likes

Excuse my ignorance but does open source mean others can work on the software? If so this is a fantastic idea as the BB Manager has always been the achilles heal of the BB in my eyes. The BB is such a powerful tool to have this updated would be a major plus in my eyes. I just want to see more ‘basic’ features in the editor, cut & paste, split songs into parts etc. It could be such a strong part of the BB experience. I wish i had the knowledge to try some myself but i’m relying on others.

And welcome Julissa!

1 Like

Please follow the instructions and open an issue so we can help you and fix the docs as needed, we want everyone to be able to get a build of the BBM running on their computer!

1 Like

As you may know, the PR was accepted and merged. It doesn’t affect the other OS builds, we’re looking good as far as building goes.