BeatBuddy Manager Goes Open Source: What this Means for Users, Our Development Priorities, and How You Can Get Involved

Apparently the original code base was a bit (or a lot?) of spaghetti. Best practices are all well and good, but it may take quite a bit of effort to organize the code to the point where some of these concepts can be applied.
I know that previous efforts to clean things up have not worked out, and of course many of us have been waiting for years to see some signs of progress.
If the problem is funding development, I for one would gladly pay a reasonable sum for a “pro” version of BBM. Otherwise, I’m thrilled to see at least baby steps in the right direction. Hopefully SS can get over the humps, past the roadblocks, and give BBM the love it deserves to go with the outstanding concept and hardware.

3 Likes

Absolutely! I would throw some money at it too! I just want a fully functioning working version that makes working with the BB a pleaure!

My first post on the subject from April 2018.

3 Likes

Cool. Very soon, I can wish you a 3 years anniversary in waiting.

1 Like

should a portion of every sale be placed into a development fund.
could be a collection to. you know to help poor poor singular out.
hire our own developers.

you could make the beat buddy manager good enough you don’t need the beat buddy hardware.

i own an atari falcon i know what it means for a company to put out great hardware and expect developers to line up to serve the limited user base…

1 Like

Ok guys! it’s now a new year and not much happening. Can anyone give any updates with the BB Manager now it’s been open sourced for awhile? Is anyone actually trying to add improvements? I can see a few comments on the github site but nothing else?

@julissadantes do you have any info you can add as the dedicated developer? Are you personally working on improvements to the BBM or just compiling what others are working on?

I thought I read some place on the forum that the person you tagged was no longer working on the BeatBuddy Manager (BBM) open source project.

2 Likes

Lovin’ it.

Hmmm…bugger. I hadn’t seen that. Do you know if there someone else who has taken over the role?

Not sure who, if anyone is dedicated to the development. It seems they hire a programmer and it takes them time to ramp up, they do some work and are either assigned to patching holes in the “leaking dike of SS projects,” they get fired or they move on to another firm.

Goran Rista seems to be in charge of redesigning the interface and documenting the required capabilities and he certainly has enough user feature requests to help flesh out the desired feature sets. As one of the users has mentioned, it seems that Qt may not be the ideal programming environment.

1 Like

That’s a shame. I actually really like using the BB Manager. I find the basics of it easy to work with and visual. Once you understand it it’s nice to use. Just wish it would be finished off properly and be somewhat fully featured. Doing things the long way and working around the bugs though can slow production down.

I didn’t see that, but Qt is an amazing programming environment. It’s downfall is that it’s very heavy, but that’s only because it’s so featureful.

I’ve done cross platform UI projects in the past, and Qt was always a help not a hindrance.

I can’t think of a single graphical toolkit that is more pleasant to work with (Microsoft’s abominations are, in particular, always a difficulty).

1 Like

I never said anything about Qt.

Seems like a reasonable choice for cross platform development.

IMHO, having the right people is more important. My guess is this not just an issue of having the right engineer(s).

2 Likes

My bad…

Hello … ello … llo …lo …o…
Is anybody out there ?

Don’t be scared by the peaks in 2020… They each represent less than … wow … 30 commits… in a week !?!

Ok, it’s so quiet, that must be because everything is fixed and stabilized… :thinking:

Capture d'écran Deepin_zone de sélection _20210322135409

Ah ? Maybe not… And I am afraid that bugs reported there are not even fully representative of all the problems with BBM.

Ok, just to be serious 5 minutes. Should we consider BBM an abandonware ?

Would be nice to have an official from Singular Sound commenting about that. What is the strategy ? Is there an alternative ?

2 Likes

Like I said many many time before…Source it to someone who knows what they are doing. I am sure a lot of us would pay a few bucks for a superior product.

The question about BBM is not that they are doing the wrong things or push developments in what we would consider the wrong direction, not putting the emphasis on topics we would consider essential.
No the problem with the BBM is that nothing happens at all.

If you re-read the beginning of this thread, there is one person supposed to be dedicated.
Considering not a single commit has been done on the repository for months, my question that I consider legitimate is: Is the BBM an abandonware ?

The problem of saying a third party should be involved, someone who “knows what they are doing”, is that it you will need to train them, because the documentation around the code, the file formats is purely non-existent. Thus from Singular Sound point of view, this will require quite a bit of work too…

I would prefer they keep the knowledge. There is a lot to develop around the Aeros, the BeatBuddy and potentially the Maestro. Those devices rock but they are clearly not served by a consistent desktop environment…

2 Likes

If you check on this thread David addressed the issue regarding the Manager. His comment is about halfway through the thread. It sounds like there is a new team working on it currently with a complete new rebuild. Whether this comes to fruition we’ll wait and see.

Hopefully they can get it up and running right and with the features we all want. :+1:

Even if it’s the case, we have no visibility, neither on dates nor features, and we are pretty far from open Source…

Yeah I get the feeling the open source development has come to a crashing halt.