Beatbuddy + Pedal Board Power Supply

I have an AGPTek Power Supply 5 to power my pedal board and overall it has been a solid piece of equipment. However, when I connect BeatBuddy to one of the 9V ports and add it to my pedal chain, I get an annoying high pitched squealing through my amp. I can’t seem to make it stop.

Has anyone used BeatBuddy successfully with a pedal board power supply and not encountered unwanted noise? I’m looking into possibly buying a new power supply so I can use BeatBuddy on my board and would appreciate recommendations.

In my experience, the BB hate’s non-isolated power. Every time I’ve ganged it to another device, it produces some sort of noise ranging from ringing, to buzzing, digital midi clock, or some other noise. Using a dedicated feed just for the BB seems to work best.

1 Like

The VooDoo labs power supplies are isolated, though honestly I’ve not tried it with mine.

I have a Voodoo Lab power supply on my pedal board and the Beat Buddy likes it. I can even power a Digitech Vocalist from this power supply (using a different voltage plug) and they both are humming along. Could be your power supply is the problem.

1 Like

Just a query on your power supply. Did you go with pedal power 2+ Or an iOS 5?

1 Like

Hadn’t checked in on this in a while. I have just been running a temporary set up where I connect my beatbuddy and the power supply I already had to separate ports on a multi-port extension cord. Not very elegant but it fixed the noise issue. The problem is definitely just a compatibility one between my supply and the BB.

I am hoping to power the Aeros, Beat Buddy, and the Maestro with this voodoo labs power supply(below) Can anyone tell me, how do I know for sure this meets the power supply needs for all three of these singular sound machines? Hopefully singular sound rep can answer this question. Thanks

VOODOO LAB PEDAL POWER X4 ISOLATED POWER SUPPLY

• Four isolated 9V outputs
  • Ultra-compact design easily mounts to the smallest pedalboards
  • Powers battery operated and high current DSP effects
  • Innovative DC transformer topology sets new standards in power supply performance
  • Advanced filtering and linear regulation ensure noise-free audiophile-quality power
  • Supplies a total of 1000mA using included AC adapter (500mA max per output)
  • X4 also powers from any 12V 400mA Pedal Power output, supplying up to 400mA of current
  • Includes Universal input voltage power adapter, power cables, and 3M Dual Lock for mounting
  • Product Dimensions: 3.38” x 2.75” x 1” (86 x 70 x 25 mm)
  • Product Weight: 4 ounces (0.11 kg)
  • AC Adapter Dimensions: 2.63” x 1.88” x 1” (67 x 48 x 25 mm)
  • AC Adapter Weight: 2.4 ounces (0.07 kg)
  • Hand-built in the U.S.A.
  • 5-year warranty*

I too have had trouble with extra noise using a multi usb or shared power supply even with the correct mAmps, ohms, etc.
So, I got a power strip and just plug the supplied 110 transformers into that.

1 Like

I would look into a larger power supply. That power supply “supplies a total of 1000mA … (500mA max per output).” Therefore, you don’t want to draw more than 1000mA from that power supply.

Here are the power requirements for each of the Singular Sound devices:
Aeros - 300mA
BeatBuddy - 500mA
Midi Maestro - 250mA
Total: 1050mA

The total power drawn by those pedals is 1050mA, but the rating for the power supply is only 1000mA. I would look for a power supply with at least 1500mA total.

1 Like

Ok thanks

I appreciate this solution. I have had the BB and just got the Aeros and Maestro. Learning how to use them together. I’m looking to have a one board solution to put all of these on a single board that I can transport to my gigs, take home and set up at home for practice (I am a solo guitar performer/singer/songwriter). I would also like to put a volume pedal on it also.

Several online stores have boards pre-made. What size board should I get to put all these things on?

Thank you for your help.

Something like the Pedaltrain Classic Jr SC 18"x12.5" should just fit BB, Aeros, MM and volume. But I would buy bigger in case you might buy another pedal or 2.

I calculated the width:

Beatbuddy

3.5 x 5.1

Aeros Looper

7.8 x 5.6

MIDI Maestro

8.4 x 5.8

Foot switch

5 x 3.5

Expression Pedal

4.4 x 11.4

So, allowing for the distance between the pedals, it would take around 32 inches at least. Maybe by moving the Foot switch up above the other pedals (or below depending on how one arranges it), one might be able to get by with a smaller pedal board…

Am I wrong in my thinking? I have never used pedals (I’m mainly an acoustic guitarist), so I’m still learning…

I was envisioning Aeros and MM side-by-side, BB above or below, next to footswitch I guess, and Expression pedal taking top and bottom on the right side. Or similar. If you go to this page, then click to go to reviews, you can see a few pictures of various setups on this board:

Main page:

Reviews with some pics:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTCLJSC--pedaltrain-classic-jr-sc-18-inch-by-12.5-inch-pedalboard-with-soft-case/reviews

Or you could go bigger. I use 2 of these:

I was reading the info on BB and the other components. The BB especially has a warning that if you power it with more than 300mA, it could fry the BB. How does one guarantee the correct amperage with a multi-port pedal board power supply?

I’m TOTALLY new to pedal boards and am looking for one that will power the BB, Aeros Looper and MIDI Maestro without frying the components.

Anything greater than 9VDC will fry your pedal. Power Supplies

Not sure where you’re reading that ≥300mA will fry the pedal. The 4/6 post in the link I provided is from BeatBuddy Support. The bottom of the pedal says 9V 500mA and that should be convincing enough.

I thought I read that there was a certain amperage that it could not get greater than.

Thanks. I may have read it wrong. I thought I had read that in the BB manual.

If you did, it’s clearly a misprint.