Call Me Maybe - DOP, OPB & OPBk (UPDATED)

Carly Rae Jepsen


  • Count-in included
  • I added a version with strings (v3); did a lot of tinkering with the drums by removing the congas and bongos; used a synth for the pizzicato strings.
  • Link (in blue font) to new user resources

Song version_________Suggested kit

v1 DOP______________SUB-Standard Pro Plain
v2 OPB______________SUB-Std Pro PL Bass 0-31
v3 OPB-strings_______STAX Synth & Strings

Includes: 3 songs, MIDI source file and Chords & Lyrics

Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae (93.9 KB)


Finally got a chance to listen to the song. Sounds great - thank you.
I am just curious as to why you chose not to use the strings? Bass and drums work fine but I’m always interested into why people make the decisions they do when creating certain tracks.

1 Like

Thanks for your interest in my work.

A couple of general reasons why I chose not to include a v3 (a version with strings) which was my original intent:

  1. There were very few MIDI source files available. Usually I like to sort thru at least three or four files and choose the one that I think would provide the best rendition of the song.
  2. Availability of a user-created kit that has the greatest availability of instruments and that match the instruments in the MIDI source file is a strong consideration.

For the v3 song, I wanted to use the NP P-Bass and BETTER STRINGS XRL as it had the strings in several octaves and had most, but not all of the drum instruments. Usually not a problem as I don’t use the drums from the MIDI source file that aren’t a part of the kit. After transcribing the song to meet the slight limitations of the kit and previewing it, I decided not to post it simply because it just didn’t sound very good. I previewed other kits with strings and also some of the Bosendorfer kits as they also have a robust range of drums instruments; it would have meant using keys instead of the strings and again, it just didn’t sound right. I’m examining the song again to see if I can make it work with strings and if I can get it to sound better, I’ll post it here.

UPDATE: I updated my post by adding a version with strings.

Thanks Persist - I always find it fascinating how people make those type of decisions. Kind of like a “Behind the Music” episode! Thanks for explaining your process.
I know there are times where I’m creating songs and the drum kits or added parts just don’t sound right. That’s why I often go with the less is more!

(I think you forgot to add v.3 to the zip file - just d/l it and wasn’t there)

1 Like

Oops. :face_in_clouds:Thanks for letting me know. I posted the old version with two songs.

Added the file with all 3 versions…


I’ll 2nd that. I find it fascinating and informative to have access to the thinking of talented folks here. Over the years I’ve benefit many times as much from the education and access to the process as the file itself. Since we switch off and play guitars and bass in the trio I sometimes try to offload some parts originally intended for guitar to piano. Especially if its a signature part but maybe repetitive/tedious to play live. The goal is to craft a backing part that doesn’t weigh down the live performance.

1 Like