Can footswitch "mode features" be mapped to a MIDI controller?

I’m wondering if footswitch features that involve setting certain functions for modes like “when playing,” “when stopped,” “when paused,” and so on can be done with a MIDI controller? I know you can control certain functions like Double-Time and Next Part using MIDI commands, but I want to know if I can also set them up depending on the mode BB is currently in, or if those settings are only available via TRS footswitch input. Thanks!

The BeatBuddy doesn’t have MIDI commands that activate depending on the state of the pedal.

If your MIDI controller can receive MIDI commands and change its internal state based on MIDI input (I doubt it), then you could do something there. But even then, MIDI doesn’t actually have a pause command. MIDI has either start or stop, so it would be difficult to support “when paused”.

If you drive most things from the MIDI controller, and the controller supports “pages”, then you could trigger a start from the controller and then switch to a page that has your “when playing“ options. Then trigger a pause and switch to a page that has your “when paused” options, and the same with stop.
If you have a 6 button MIDI controller, you could probably have 4 buttons available in each state.

1 Like