Can I get clarification on MIDI commands?

Wondering if I can get some clarification on MIDI commands needed for some common looping situations. This might save me hours of trial and error.

1. So to simply record a loop and then play it, I assume CC 41:0 to record the track, then at end of the loop use CC 41:20 (commit)?
  2. If I want to record the loop, but stop it rather than play, CC 41:0 to record, but do I need to use 41:20 to commit the loop, followed by either a Mute command for that loop or does the Mute command alone close the loop as well as mute it? I am used to my Pigtronix looper where you literally stop the loop. I suppose you could do this with Aeros by just stopping the song, but perhaps you are going on to record another track and do not want to do that.
  3. I see the RPO option, So to do that, would I do CC 41:101 to record the first layer of that track, then another CC 41:101 to close that loop, play it and immediately overdub it? What if I want to either play it a few measures, then overdub, or maybe I want to mute it and later overdub?
  4. Is it possible to restart a loop before it is finished playing? On my Infinity looper, this is called a jitter command. This can be useful if, for example, I record a bass line that includes a transition to the chorus, but I want to replay the bass line without that transition a few times during the verse, and only let it play through the transition the last time when the chorus comes. I suppose the other option is to just record the transition as a separate part.
  5. Just curious, why, with so many values available, do we just have CC 41:101,102 to RPO tracks 1 and 2, but no specific command for tracks 3-6? Instead we have a next command. What was the logic…why being so conservative with command use?

1= Yes

2 = Do you use the Beatbuddy ? If yes Disable the CC 102 on the BB. This don’t start another recording in 2X2 mode, sorry but I don’t understand what you mean with the mute. Or are you speaking about the 6X6 mode? if you have 3 parts recorded and you stop the song on part 3 and hit the RPO to restart your song, this switch to the part 4 ,I guess and start a recording. you need to switch the part (Aeros left one switch) to start on the part that you want. RPO = Record -Play- Overdub.

3= 100 is selected track, 101 first track, 102 second track , you can close the loop if you press again, or toogle with the commit.To overdub immediately you the ROP (record-overdub- play) you can change this on Aeros settings

4=What Do you mean with jitter? Is this when you hit the switch this restart the loop from the beginning? (I had the Pigtronix before) More if you have a long loop with different parts on it and want to restart at a specific moment? You cannot with Aeros.

5= Don’t forget the Value 100 combined with select track (CC41 Value 103)Warning don’t work in 2X2.
Depend what you want .Select track can start a recording and you can navigate in the track to overdub with the RPO 100. Record a new track ,start a new track recording every time. The RPO 1&2 is more for the 2X2 mode, but can be used in 6X6.

I don’t have a Beat Buddy. My setup involves backing drum tracks that I have created for all the songs I perform, using my sequencer. They have been converted to mp3 tracks which I play off of my iPad, using Bandhelper. Bandhelper is a setlist program that can control MIDI functions for all of your gear in addition to scrolling lyrics, and playing backing tracks like this. In addition it allows me to run a MIDI file in parallel with the mp3 track. The MIDI file, as long as it has the same tempo as the track, can then be used to control any MIDI enabled device, including controlling loopers, changing settings on pedals and triggering play/record/stop commands remotely to the looper in real time during a song. Currently I use 2 Pigtronix Loopers in series, and when I perform I never touch any of the buttons on the looper. This is all done through MIDI control, I just play my guitar.

With that background, for number two, what I was referring to as far as mute, is that apparently one way of controlling tracks with the Aeros is to keep the song playing, but mute parts when you don’t want them rather than actually stopping the song. This is how Loopy works, an iPad based looper that I used for a while for my looping. Of course you also have the option of just stopping the song completely.

And yes, the jitter feature on the pigtronix allows you to restart a loop at the beginning before it has completed its cycle.

I’m going to try to play around with this, but I’m just not sure that the Aeros is the right looper for me.It seems to have quite a bit of potential, but the MIDI functions are still not as fleshed out as I would have hoped, And I have had it sitting on a shelf for two years hoping for the best.

Maybe I will give it a little more time to see what they come up with for the next MIDI update, and start playing around with it using my setup, But I’m still on the fence.

1 Like

Hey there sorry for the delayed response, hope you have already referenced the MIDI doc

Correct but you can use CC41 value 100 to cycle between Record/Play/Overdub on the selected track, in 2x2 value 101 controls only track 1 and 102 controls only track 2.

Mute command does not commit a recording, but you can use CC43 value 0 to stop a song

No, all the controls of the RPO are usable on a single button, like tapping the button on the Aeros once. Note that this is not a full emulation of the buttons, just of the one-tap behaviors. This ultimately means you cannot do things like double tap to mute using this command.

Mute is a separate command, that is done using CC38, if you want to stop all looper sound and not just a track, I suggest stopping instead of muting

The only way to do this is to stop immediately and then start
CC43 value 127 is a stop immediately command, CC43 value 1 is start or to use the looper Play/Stop All while set to Stop Immediately in the device settings

101 and 102 are to support control for 2x2, 6x6 is more complicated and we do not support recording tracks out of order. It is easier to handle a command that simply controls the track that is currently selected. It is easy to select next trakc via MIDI too, this is CC:41 value 103