Changes to Beatbuddy Mode

Why is there no way to edit the midi channel that Beatbuddy Mode uses from channel 1 to something else? As it is, it assists you have to create a while Custom Mode - and even with the BB Mode Preset, you have to create a new event (command) since you can’t edit the existing event (command)…

Looks like a severe limitation…

And the app isn’t all that intuitive either…

I only learned - through an hour so of frustration - about the Midi Channel 1 in BB Mode because the MM would not work with my Beatbuddy since I had it set to receive midi commands on channel 10 (which is what I to send command from OnSong and my DAW)… after setting it to Channel 1 (or Omni) the MM could successfully control the BB… If course then the BB wouldn’t respond to OnSong because it was sending on Channel 10… Using Omni is a hassle since I also control other midi devices with OnSong…

Hey there,

Yes we’ve seen the shortcomings of the current system for handling channel writing, and we agree it’s not very useful. Good news is we have already begun working on a total redesign that was thoroughly committed to quashing issues like this. It is much more intuitive, user friendly, and looks much nicer too! A total revamp.

Unfortunately, as you say there isn’t much to do other than make command by command onto channel 10, we understand it’s clunky but the redesign is going to really change the whole premise of channel writing and overwriting for all levels of the device.

It is currently a tad tedious but doable to make a MIDI mode from scratch.

The BB CC commands sheet can be helpful.

Hopefully soon there will be better news, thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the reply Brennan,

Sure, I can make a custom mode - but then that takes away the Custom Mode that I may want to use for something else… like changing presets on my GT-1000 or switching on Boost or looper functions…

I guess I’ll wait until the revamp…

1 Like

Hi Brennan,

Another quick question…

What was the driving force behind the decision to make editing the Midi Maestro available only through an app? No manual editing, no computer editing - well, never mind about the computer editing, don’t want another Beatbuddy Manager fiasco…? God forbid my phone breaks or is lost…

Thanks again for your assistance - I already had the Midi CC sheet, and since I had already programmed OnSong to change songs/beats on the Beatbuddy (on channel 10! lol), I was already familiar with the layout and syntax…

Hey again,

This was possibly an oversight in some regards, we may have been happier in the long run with web based or desktop app, but we’ve committed this long to the app we intend on getting it done and doing it right. The redesign is a big upscale, the implications of UI are exciting! Hope to have more news for you soon.

As far as writing it manually, it could be that that is possible but it would need tweaking that we aren’t committed to incorporating at the moment. Don’t hold me on that one I’m just recalling a conversation I had with Dev about similar. Feel free to bring it up again or make a request.

Thanks again for the response Brennan…

I’d be willing to beta test if you need volunteers…

Thanks, when the time comes you can let me know you’re interested! Stay tuned!

So I finally figured out how to change the Pre-Installed Beatbuddy Mode… You have to go in and edit all of the commands - which is located under My Commands…

I got to this point by stumbling through everything - definitely not as user friendly and intuitive as advertised… of course I just left it on Channel 1 since I had just taken 2 hours to change all the OnSong charts to channel 1 (from channel 10)…

As much as I like Singular Sound Products, there’s a lot to be desired for software, software documentation, and such…

Hey there,

I’m sorry if you missed this but I did point this behavior out

Did you see the manual already? If so, are you saying it would be useful to have the behavior specified for changing the channel of an existing command?

Let me know, thanks!

I haven’t dug into learning the app yet, for trying to create a custom template to meet my needs, but I pretty much have it figured out in my mind as far as what functions I need and don’t the midi MM. I use the Beat Buddy, Midid Maestro, Aeros, and the added foot switch with the Beat Buddy. Since I have the foot switch, there’s not much in the MM BB Mode, that I can’t do with the main pedal, and added switch. The thing I can’t do is 1 ppm incremental tempo adjustment while stopped. I have figured that I can start theBB pedal and quickly pause it, then press start on the MM which does nothing because the BB is already started and paused, and then I can hit the foot switch “Tempo”, go up or down with it and get it where I want it, then un pause the count or intro of the beat buddy. of course this makes the intro or Count difficult, because I’m interrupting it, but it is a workaround for standing up hands free exact tempo achievement…here’s the question

With the BB CC commands list, and if I had the same type of list for aeros, can I creat a mode that contains the best of both BB and Aeros functions that fit my needs? or will I have to keep switching back and forth between modes?

I would like to be able to reach the incremental adjustment of the tempo on the MM without having to start play first to access that, and still have a tap tempo button, so that I could tap it and get close and then go straight to up or down 1bpm at a time

Also…when the MM goes into the Aeros song list…when you hit "exit’, it would be nice for that to send a message to the Aeros and not leave the Aeros hanging on the song list for you to have to go hit the Play/Stop on the Aeros to exit the song list there and be just one more button to have to push along with all the steps already?

we all obviously have to access the Aeros song list with the MM, since it can’t be done on the Aeros, whereas I can access BB folders with my added foot switch… so I need the Midi Maestro for Aeros song list, but when stuck in Aeros Mode, I can’t get to the tempo functions I need in beat buddy mode. I don’t need much other of either of the factory Aeros of BB modes, so back to the question, can I create a mode that gives me what I need only for Each BB and Aeros all in one mode? to do the things I’ve described above?

Hi there,

The custom modes allow you to do all of the things you are talking about, unfortunately the current versions of the app need work, the Android version is at a level where it is generally functional, iOS is still lagging in some basic functions. We are working at this to no longer have any issue here soon.

Using the custom modes, the MIDI Maestro can send any commands that are written to it, making it possible to make versions of our default modes to your personal liking all in one mode, no switching modes needed.

The redesigns of the apps will make this process far more appealing and intuitive for the user.

Thanks for your questions.

You know what’s really sad?

Owning a product like the Midi Maestro - “built for regular people not midi masters” or something like that was the marketing blurb…

Anyways what’s a bummer is owning a product that has so much potential (at least promised potential) and not being able to confidently program it the way you want to because of glitches and idiosyncrasies is the way the app was programmed… I’ve already bricked one MM (with the INVALID EEPROM error) and had to have it replaced… but because the lack of progress on development, I have no confidence to try custom programming and risk bricking another MM…

Yeah yeah, iOS is still being worked on and Android “for the most part” works - really, $300 to have to settle with “working on it” and “for the most part?”

This is just like the promised Beatbuddy Manager updates… vaporware…

1 Like

Hi again,

We understand the frustration and are equally frustrated and want these apps to work. We are well aware that BBM and Apps seem like they are not moving forward, but that is nowhere near a reflection of what we are doing behind the scenes to get these updates in your hands.

If you look at the BB and the Aeros you will see a great record of updates and listening to our customers, we are not turning away or stopping our commitment to getting these products working to the state where they need to be, or even beyond that point if possible.

There have been solutions found to that bricking issue, it should not be unfixable check out this thread in either Android or iOS, in essence it happens when firmware is written and default modes need to be rewritten.

Feel free to write to support@singularsound.com if you have more questions on the EEPROM issue.

Thank you for your feedback and your patience, we hope to have better news soon