Changes to Beatbuddy Mode

Why is there no way to edit the midi channel that Beatbuddy Mode uses from channel 1 to something else? As it is, it assists you have to create a while Custom Mode - and even with the BB Mode Preset, you have to create a new event (command) since you can’t edit the existing event (command)…

Looks like a severe limitation…

And the app isn’t all that intuitive either…

I only learned - through an hour so of frustration - about the Midi Channel 1 in BB Mode because the MM would not work with my Beatbuddy since I had it set to receive midi commands on channel 10 (which is what I to send command from OnSong and my DAW)… after setting it to Channel 1 (or Omni) the MM could successfully control the BB… If course then the BB wouldn’t respond to OnSong because it was sending on Channel 10… Using Omni is a hassle since I also control other midi devices with OnSong…

Hey there,

Yes we’ve seen the shortcomings of the current system for handling channel writing, and we agree it’s not very useful. Good news is we have already begun working on a total redesign that was thoroughly committed to quashing issues like this. It is much more intuitive, user friendly, and looks much nicer too! A total revamp.

Unfortunately, as you say there isn’t much to do other than make command by command onto channel 10, we understand it’s clunky but the redesign is going to really change the whole premise of channel writing and overwriting for all levels of the device.

It is currently a tad tedious but doable to make a MIDI mode from scratch.

The BB CC commands sheet can be helpful.

Hopefully soon there will be better news, thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the reply Brennan,

Sure, I can make a custom mode - but then that takes away the Custom Mode that I may want to use for something else… like changing presets on my GT-1000 or switching on Boost or looper functions…

I guess I’ll wait until the revamp…

1 Like

Hi Brennan,

Another quick question…

What was the driving force behind the decision to make editing the Midi Maestro available only through an app? No manual editing, no computer editing - well, never mind about the computer editing, don’t want another Beatbuddy Manager fiasco…? God forbid my phone breaks or is lost…

Thanks again for your assistance - I already had the Midi CC sheet, and since I had already programmed OnSong to change songs/beats on the Beatbuddy (on channel 10! lol), I was already familiar with the layout and syntax…

Hey again,

This was possibly an oversight in some regards, we may have been happier in the long run with web based or desktop app, but we’ve committed this long to the app we intend on getting it done and doing it right. The redesign is a big upscale, the implications of UI are exciting! Hope to have more news for you soon.

As far as writing it manually, it could be that that is possible but it would need tweaking that we aren’t committed to incorporating at the moment. Don’t hold me on that one I’m just recalling a conversation I had with Dev about similar. Feel free to bring it up again or make a request.

Thanks again for the response Brennan…

I’d be willing to beta test if you need volunteers…

Thanks, when the time comes you can let me know you’re interested! Stay tuned!

So I finally figured out how to change the Pre-Installed Beatbuddy Mode… You have to go in and edit all of the commands - which is located under My Commands…

I got to this point by stumbling through everything - definitely not as user friendly and intuitive as advertised… of course I just left it on Channel 1 since I had just taken 2 hours to change all the OnSong charts to channel 1 (from channel 10)…

As much as I like Singular Sound Products, there’s a lot to be desired for software, software documentation, and such…

Hey there,

I’m sorry if you missed this but I did point this behavior out

Did you see the manual already? If so, are you saying it would be useful to have the behavior specified for changing the channel of an existing command?

Let me know, thanks!