Feature request +already done+: Sync length should sync to integer fractions as well as integer multiples

Wanted:

• one track of 6 bars
  • one track of 2 bars

Case 1

• set sync length active.
  • record track 1, say 6 bars
  • record track 2. Aeros will force length to be 6 or 12 or 18 bars etc. Two bar track impossible.

Case 2

• set sync length active
  • record track 1, say 2 bars
  • record track 2, six bars.
  • success. One 6 bar track. One 2 bar track.

Problem:

The order that tracks are recorded in shouldn’t determine whether it’s an allowed situation.

The underlying problem is that given a track of M bars, aeros only allows integer multiples of the length of that bar. But integer fractions of that are just as valid (assuming they equal a whole number of bars).

So a 6 bar initial track should allow track 2 to be of length 1, 2, 3, 6, 12, 18, etc. I.e. M/6, M/3, M/2, M, 2M, 3M, etc.

It’s not a difficult mathematical test so CPU power shouldn’t be an issue to run the test from multiplies of 1/16 to 16 and see if they fit. (If you really want speed it’s only a matter of keeping a table of prime factors for the first 20 or so integers)

I had to go look at this just now because I record additional tracks that are whole fractions of my original track all the time.

It appears that if you have the sync option set to “Start & Length”, then what you describe is true. You only get length in multiples. This makes it like Pigtronix Infinity style (multiples only), or EHX style if you never use multiples.

If you have the sync option set to “Length” (my preference), then whole fractions are also possible after the initial track is recorded. For me, this is one of the best things about this looper for those who quantize.

2 Likes

Interesting.

Maybe it’s been fixed in recent firmware. I’ve had this request in my back pocket for quite some time.

I’ll check it again and withdraw.

It already does this :slight_smile:

Sync Track Features

• Definition: “Base Track”: The current longest loop in the song part when in Quantized mode. In Freeform mode (non-quantized), the base track is the shortest loop in a song part.
  • Sync Length: After 1st track is recorded, all tracks will be forced to be proportional to the length of the base track. In Quantized mode, all tracks will be forced to be any whole number multiple (x2, x3, x4, etc.) or whole number unit fraction (½, ⅓, ¼, ⅕, etc) of the base track. For example, if the base track is 12 measures long, other tracks will be forced to be either 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 24, 36, etc. measures long depending on when the end recording/start playback command is given. In freeform, all tracks will be whole number multiples of the base track (no fractions allowed). A new track recording can be started at the beginning of the next measure in Quantized mode, or immediately in freeform, so this feature only affects when recording stops and playback begins.
  • Sync Start & Length: In addition to the Sync Length rules above, after 1st track is recorded in a song part, all new recordings will begin at the next start of the longest track loop in the song part.
1 Like

Awesome. Apologies for posting an out of date request.

Don’t sweat it!